Thread: Flyers

Flyers

Say you create a normal size flyer for your company. I am sure some people have tried it, and mailed it to everyone local or something.

What are your responses? Good, Bad? How many did you send out and how many responses did you get?

I experimented with flyers, and while the results weren't exactly stellar, it did stir up some interest. I designed two different layouts--one was a flyer geared toward college students that I posted on campuses and the other was a tri-fold brochure for local residents and businesses.

Instead of mailing out the brochures I hand-delivered them, because I didn't want them to be thrown out with the rest of the junk mail.

It was a lot of leg work and the number of responses was at times discouragingly low, but it was inexpensive and a great way to test your visual advertising skills. Overall, I would say it is reasonable to expect that 5% or less of the recipients will respond.

We did tried this approach when we first started, response is very low, but costs is low too and we are starting on a low base. Does no harm to try this. For local businesses, I would say about 1 or 2 out of 100 will respond.

1% to 2% is the expected response from something like this, so if you get that you are doing okay.

I think you could increase that by your sales department calling them to follow-up sometime after the flyers have been delivered.
    Try the StreamSend Email Marketing Service. StreamSend is a permission-based email marketing service that offers both a private label reseller program and an affiliate program.

Or if possible, even showing up in person can help make the sale. Sometimes there is no substitute for looking someone in the eye and telling them about your services. They can size you up better that way and determine if they trust you with their business.
    Try the StreamSend Email Marketing Service. StreamSend is a permission-based email marketing service that offers both a private label reseller program and an affiliate program.

The response you will get is horrible. If you on the other hand you were to design a hosting package for a specific market, make a sales packet that targets that market, drop it off in person and follow up with a sales meeting. Then your response rate will be much higher.

Think of marketing as a hunter. If you were to run out to the bush with an Uzi and just shoot it around randomly you would be out of bullets in a few seconds and most likely be empty handed. If you were to use a rifle and target your prey you would a more successful hunter and use a lot less bullets. To metaphorical for you?
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

Originally posted by MH-Gary
    The response you will get is horrible. If you on the other hand you were to design a hosting package for a specific market, make a sales packet that targets that market, drop it off in person and follow up with a sales meeting. Then your response rate will be much higher.

Think of marketing as a hunter. If you were to run out to the bush with an Uzi and just shoot it around randomly you would be out of bullets in a few seconds and most likely be empty handed. If you were to use a rifle and target your prey you would a more successful hunter and use a lot less bullets. To metaphorical for you?
    Yah, but if you're gonna go to all that effort, you better be selling that's going to generate some serious revenue per customer. Definately not $100/yr or less hosting. Maybe a web site / hosting package ... something along those lines.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Originally posted by Jay Suds
    Yah, but if you're gonna go to all that effort, you better be selling that's going to generate some serious revenue per customer. Definately not $100/yr or less hosting. Maybe a web site / hosting package ... something along those lines.
    I definately agree that I would not do this for a lower revenue market. There are other markets then budget hosting though
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

From what I notice, local companies tend to go after a complete package of web design, hosting and maybe installation or setup of Internet. Personalised marketing efforts would pay off getting these clients. They are normally not price sensitive and if handled well will be your loyal client base.

Yes, agreed. If you are going to do local, make sure you offer personal service so there is some sort of advantage to buying local: design the site, hosting, and help them learn to maintain their site.

Setup their dsl or something while you are at it. :-)

haha...set their dsl up. I have one company in my local area that I designed, host and manage their site. If you have time, go for that angle.

Well, i was kind of kidding but the point is to always be looking for ways to increase revenue/customer by adding value for them.

Customers will love you for it...

I know you were kidding, manatee. You just gave me my much needed laugh for today

I tried running flyers to local businesses for web hosting service once, and got no reply.

It's much easier to advertise affordable web design service and charge for 'web site maintenance fees'

Actually, I have setup DSL for a few people but mostly just to be helpful. :-)

I am very interested in how a hosting flyer would look.. if someone doesn't mind, can they post (or email/pm) their flyer? I know this is a hosting forum, so people shouldn't have problems uploading and hosting it somewhere.. but if thats an issue, i can do it...

Thanks guys.. i have never seen hosting flyers anywhere... just wondering how they would look...
    Alex Melen
    █ Co-CEO at SmartSites (established 2011)
    █ Founder of T35 Hosting (established 1997)

For me, I've classified my customers into four groups. (I am a local provider, by the way. Haven't been step my foot to more competitive international market yet )

Group A ("High-Grade Clients & Prospects")
    -------------------------------------------------------
    The list of Group A is not long & you won't see many contacts there. But they do sure generate enormous amount of revenue. And the prospects too.

Group B ("Standard Clients & Prospects")
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Many clients who are just takint packaged web design services & normal hosting packages are being put into this group. These customers surely need more technical support than Group A. There are many contacts, and ten of them equals to one in Group A.

Group C ("Customized Clients")
    ----------------------------------------
    There are alot of requests for customized hosting packages, and they do usually generate low revenue. Mostly are personal websites which do not need such features I provide.

Group D ("Tourism Clients & Prospects")
    ---------------------------------------------------
    We have unique services & packages for tourism companies. And this group is generating most revenue.

====

For Group B, I prepare normal flyers & pamphlets with glossy or wool-free papers.

For Group A & D, I make hard-paper files, with four pages. Full-colored with good designs on it. Usually, we got much impressions with that.

For Group C, well, no flyers, but cards twice larger than namecard that has service information as well as our contact info, etc...

That's what I do in the local market.. Hope it help you guys ..

bump for still wanting to see an example flyer
    Alex Melen

Here are a few we've used in the past.....
    ameriwebhosting.com/flyers/

If anybody has successful flyers, I'd sure be glad to see what is working for others out there also!
    -----------------------------------
    AmeriWeb Hosting
    One Stop Business Solutions
    AmeriWeb Hosting

Thanks reobertk1!
    Alex Melen

How much luck did you have with those?
    Alex Melen

I send out about 100 flyers a month and follow up with a phone call, dividing businesses into 3 groups.

GROUP I are dropped as they probably will never buy a web site. Could be they own their own web hosting business, or maybe they are just too mentally challenged to have as customers. Either way they are unlikely prospects.

GROUP II are kept on my mailing list as I believe they may develop into customers sometime in the future. I call or visit every 2-3 months, and continue to mail them monthly.

GROUP III are agressively pursued, as I have what they want/need. This group is our mainstay.

Using this approach, I average a site design and 1-2 "hosting only" accounts each month. In a good month, we'll design 2 sites.

I definitely am not getting rich with this, and believe results could be increased if I only had the time to put in, but customers are cumulative so I collect a little from them each month. Using this process, we have grown to 3 servers in 4 years. Not lightening fast, but manageable. Hosting sold to online clients is just gravy, our real bread and butter is local.

If you enjoy meeting people this is a great way to do it. Just don't push too hard, and be ready with answers for unrelated computer questions like "Why is the Blue Screen of Death blue?" or "Should I upgrade from Windows 3.1 yet?" Always leave the window open for your return call or visit.

<G>

How about someone else sharing their business secrets? I'm sure others would love to compare what they are doing (I sure would) and maybe make adjustments to improve.
    AmeriWeb Hosting
    AmeriWeb Hosting

Windows 3.1....I'm glad I am not the only one that gets this question lol.

Anybody else interested in posting the flyers they are using? I'd like to see what others are doing.....

Anybody?
    AmeriWeb Hosting
    AmeriWeb Hosting