Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Air France Jet Crashes in Toronto, Canada

Wow.
    Lemme find a link somewhere.

Yeah just saw it on the news just a second ago. Not much information so far from what I saw.

Just watching it now, very strange for that type of plane to crash like that. No news on how many people got off yet. Hopefully everyone.
    Steve

CNN (television report) is reporting that it seems poor weather caused the crash.

CNN article: http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americ....ap/index.html

A witness on CNN right now said he didn't spot anyone emerging from the wreckage.

Hopefully he just didn't see.

hmm..wow, there hasn't been an airplane crash in a long time, atleast not that i know of, but then again i dont watch the news very often
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

Pilot and Co-Pilot are out apparently. Plus 2 bus loads of passengers. However if the plane is full and has 250 people on then only 2 buses is probably not a good sign.
    Steve

Just in time for my flight for Toronto tommarow.

Holy smokes, it's an Air France airbus A340. It's on all channels here in Canada and even the states.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed hosting solutions / AS63447
    Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers

You sound surprised it's on the news channels! It's on every channel here too. It's not everyday a plane crashes like this!
    Steve

Originally posted by Cursive
    Just in time for my flight for Toronto tommarow.
    I hope the flight you are going on goes ok .

Yup, i was just eating dinner watching it, very sad. I drove by that very airport when i was a kid with my parents.

Air France and CNN report ~290 passengers on board.

I'M watching in on the ITV news now,
    No word on casualties.

Reports that everyone has got off, not confirmed yet though.
    Steve

Well the pilot is definitely confirmed to be in hospital

Eye witeness: "Plane hit by lightning"?
    Lightning detection equipment located at airport wasn't enabled
    Last edited by macdonaldp; 08-02-2005 at 05:45 PM.

Sgt. Glyn Griffiths reported other injured passengers were walking around the crash site.
    Looks like some people are just walking wounded.

Planes get hit by lightning all the time, in fact a plane I was on was hit once, it shouldn't cause any major problems. Seems to me the main causes are brake failure, slippery runway due to rain, or the pilot landed too far along the runway (unlikely as they would of called the landing off if this was going to happen).
    Steve

Originally posted by Vortex-Steve
    Planes get hit by lightning all the time, in fact a plane I was on was hit once, it shouldn't cause any major problems. Seems to me the main causes are brake failure, slippery runway due to rain, or the pilot landed too far along the runway (unlikely as they would of called the landing off if this was going to happen).
    Well it could have been a combination of those things, triggered by the lightning strike.
    The storm started as the plane was decending to land.
    Power shut off in plane as it was landing.
    Partial or complete electrical failure of plane

Plane might have been under computer control to land the plane, meaning that with no power that plane wasn't going to land well.

4 seriously injured in hospital, one seriously injured in sick kids hospital. Three bus loads of survivors, although there was ~291 passengers and ~12 crew on board.
    Last edited by macdonaldp; 08-02-2005 at 06:02 PM.

Originally posted by Surpass Networks

Plane might have been under computer control to land the plane, meaning that with no power that plane wasn't going to land well.
    Exactly, if the lightning struck the plane a little earlier maybe the outcome would be different. From what I understand the pilot did apply the brakes but the lightning probably made all the electrical parts of the plane unresponsive (for example the reverse trust or aerobrakes).
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed hosting solutions / AS63447
    Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers

Originally posted by Vortex-Steve
    Actually, a lightning strike can easily destroy an airplane, a positive lightning strike that is. Negatives don't do much.

Well i am about 10mins away from the airport and do a lot of work on the road and was pretty close when it happen. The lightning was a sight to be seen that's for sure. I know at one point it made me jump in out of my seat. At one point i remember saying that it's weird how the rain was going straight down not coming from one side down just pooring like crazy but it didn't really last really long.

No point of going anywhere for the next few hours, all the side roads are packed. Happened right at rush hour.

The sun is coming out now, thank god everyone is okay. The stories i am hearing are crazy.
    CPSkins.com | WHMXtra.com
    12 cPanel Skins, 52 WHM Skins, 12 DirectAdmin,
    60+ Plesk Scripts Linux & Windows & 70 cPanel Auto-Installers

All 309 Survive Toronto Plane Crash

August 2, 2005

By KOMO Staff & News Services

TORONTO - A jetliner carrying more than 300 erupted in flames Tuesday after skidding off a runway while landing in a thunderstorm at Toronto's Pearson International Airport. A government official said it appeared everyone survived but 14 people suffered minor injuries.

Steve Shaw, a vice president of the Greater Toronto Airport Authority, said there were 297 passengers and 12 crew aboard the plane. He said the jet overshot the runway by 200 yards and that he believed the fire broke out after the passengers were evacuated.
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk thru my words
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast