Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by extort
    i would say checkout superb.net. ive never hosted there but they look pretty solid, complete US network of there own along with links to euro. they also offer for a slight higher price improved routes and give you a 100% uptime garuntee. they have a DC located in vienna, VA.
    nice first post. who do you work for?? LOL!

http://www.hopone.net/about.php - I would not call that a "complete us network of their own along with links to euro" especially in the topic of this discussion.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Level 3 triples loss in Q2
    Thursday July 21, 5:01 pm ET
    Citing declining revenue and a one-time gain from last year, Level 3 Communications Inc. announced on Thursday that it nearly tripled its second-quarter loss.
    Level 3 (NASDAQ: LVLT - News) reported a loss of $188 million, or 27 cents a share, on revenue of $910 million.
    In January, the company announced it would lay off up to 600 workers -- or 12 percent of its work force -- to save between $60 million and $70 million in annual labor costs.
    Level 3 shares declined 14 cents to close at $2.07 Thursday.
    http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/050721/1137624.html?.v=2

Originally posted by music
    Citing declining revenue and a one-time gain from last year, Level 3 Communications Inc. announced on Thursday that it nearly tripled its second-quarter loss.
    Level 3 (NASDAQ: LVLT - News) reported a loss of $188 million, or 27 cents a share, on revenue of $910 million.
    In January, the company announced it would lay off up to 600 workers -- or 12 percent of its work force -- to save between $60 million and $70 million in annual labor costs.
    see - to me this is a better story - its going in the wrong direction - but its within read for them to get things under control and or increase their revenu enough to cover losses.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Originally posted by SolidJoe
    Not a list, just the names I like to call them by...Williams/WilTel, same thing. BBN was puchased by Genuity, then bought by Level(3), but I wasn't sure if they had integrated their networks together or if they were still seperate. I also thought CW still had operations in Latin America and Europe.
    You are correct, CW operates in more areas than I had previously noted, though I am not sure if they still have Tier 1 status. The Genuity/L3 deal was done 2003, I believe, and they were integrated pretty quickly.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Considering Level(3) isn't close to going under I am not worried at all. They have plenty of money in the bank, a much larger customer base, a possitive EBITDA, plenty of financial backing, etc. and they still haven't declared Chapter 11 at all, unlike Global Crossing, Abovenet, MCI, et al.

Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

I agree with Karl, there are many ways in which Level(3) could dramatically increase it's returns should it choose to do so. This ranges from laying off unnecessary labor, dumping unprofitable synergy sites, and even becoming slightly more liberal in it's price strategy on new contracts.

Lets all hope that L3 files for Bankruptcy because then we would probably see bandwidth prices move lower. Hoping to see the day when L3 competes with Cogent……..Now that would be fun.

Some speculation that they will file by the end of the year.

Lets all hope that L3 files for Bankruptcy because then we would probably see bandwidth prices move lower. Hoping to see the day when L3 competes with Cogent……..Now that would be fun.

Some speculation that they will file by the end of the year.
    I'm not really that educated on the BW market place, but if it is like any other product, BW will, one day, become a commodity market.

On another note, unless you have an MBA in financial management, it is difficult to determine how a company is actually doing. Accountants perform miracles when it comes to the books.

Look at Amazon, they lost money for year, after year, after year, after year in frightening amounts..... Now, it's like a piece of chewing gum stuck on the sole of your shoe.....it ain't going nowhere.
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Originally posted by PSFServers
    I'm not really that educated on the BW market place, but if it is like any other product, BW will, one day, become a commodity market.

On another note, unless you have an MBA in financial management, it is difficult to determine how a company is actually doing. Accountants perform miracles when it comes to the books.

Look at Amazon, they lost money for year, after year, after year, after year in frightening amounts..... Now, it's like a piece of chewing gum stuck on the sole of your shoe.....it ain't going nowhere.
    I do have an MBA.

btw - the bandwidth market has already been comoditized.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

the miracles they perform on the books is exactly why companies implode (enron)

Amazon is quite simple. They operated on a plan of advertising early, a lot, so they would have the brand built. They spent LARGE amounts of their budget on advertising, knowing the coud cut advertising and be pulling a profit. They reached the point where they were THE name in online shopping, had no more need to advertise, and are now doing quite well.

Back to Tier 1 ISPs...does anybody else have an opinion on if SBC is a Tier 1 ISP or not? Their peering arrangements make them seem like they are, and I don't think they purchase from anyone.
    I wish all my traffic went through AS174.

Back to Tier 1 ISPs...does anybody else have an opinion on if SBC is a Tier 1 ISP or not? Their peering arrangements make them seem like they are, and I don't think they purchase from anyone.
    no they are not.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Originally posted by sailor
    no they are not.
    They will be once the AT&T deal is done though... That and Verizon/MCI will be interesting to watch.

Doesn't SBC run their own network too? I don't think they pay for peering.
    Last I checked, they still purchased Sprint transit to anywhere they didn't have a peering route.

http://dedicated.sbcis.sbc.com/NDWS/...erformance.jsp

We realize that you may not have always considered SBCIS as a Tier 1 Internet provider. But our track record speaks otherwise. We provide Internet network solutions not only to many of our millions of business and consumer customers, but to our competitors as well, the so-called Tier 1 providers.
    Looks like SBCIS answered it for me, although I have no idea how old that article is.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...+peering&hl=en

Kind of interesting.
    I wish all my traffic went through AS174.

Karl, how do you figure Amazon is doing quite well. The stock's down about 20 percent this year after a 16 percent decline in 2004.

You are really loosing credibility.

LOL

Karl, how do you figure Amazon is doing quite well. The stock's down about 20 percent this year after a 16 percent decline in 2004.

LOL
    Actually you are the one losing it by using stock price as a sign of financial stability. Did you even bother to see that Amazon has been making a profit?

Missing that huge drop in stock price too: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=AMZN

Sure looks like its higher now that it has been in a year.

The Stock price represents people voting with money and I respect that.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=AMZN...=on&z=m&q=l&c=

Grant it the stock did very well in the month.
    Last edited by music; 08-03-2005 at 09:19 PM.

Back to the question asked:

Above Net routes were not that great. They seemed to backhaul alot of our traffic out of Dallas to one of the coasts. To get to some places in Dallas, our data would have to travel from Dallas, to San Jose, Ca, then go back to Dallas on some one else's network. So unless you are some place where they have great peering, I wouldn't go for them, especially if they costs more.. Personal opinion of course..
    James Lumby

LOL
    Wow, we must have completely different ideas of doing quite well then... I would consider 26% revenue growth overthe previous year, $578 million Net Income Avl to Common, gross profit of $1.6 billion, $1.33 billion in cash, extremely possitive cash flow, etc. to be doing quite well... If that is not doing quite well I honestly don't know what to say...

Originally posted by lumbyjj
    Back to the question asked:

Above Net routes were not that great. They seemed to backhaul alot of our traffic out of Dallas to one of the coasts. To get to some places in Dallas, our data would have to travel from Dallas, to San Jose, Ca, then go back to Dallas on some one else's network. So unless you are some place where they have great peering, I wouldn't go for them, especially if they costs more.. Personal opinion of course..
    Thank the Democrats. You know, Al Gore invented this stuff.
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Thank the Democrats. You know, Al Gore invented this stuff.
    LOL.
    James Lumby

The Stock price represents people voting with money and I respect that.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=AMZN...=on&z=m&q=l&c=

Grant it the stock did very well in the month.
    Yes, thank you for showing that the stock is UP over the past two years.... Closed August 4, 2003 at $38.95 and it is now at $46.11, UP 18.4%. Are you now trying to prove my point, or??

Headline in the next 12 months...

"Abovenet bankrupt again, Cogent purchases assets and clients for 100Million(in stock)"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast