Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AboveNET really that good?

Hey guys, have a question for you all. Im in the gaming business. Right now we have 1 server east coast but we are looking to change providers becuase customers have been complaining about lag. My boss wants to get a server with at the AboveNET datacenter because he said they have a superior network and they are worth the extra money. My question to you guys is AboveNET really that great for gaming servers? If not, do you guys have any suggestions for east cost datacenters?

I've never been a fan of Above's network, but that's just me...where are the clients going to be connecting for gaming? Locally? Across the US? Location can be important.
    I wish all my traffic went through AS174.

This server is for east coast clients. What bout Netivex or CRNC, would you recommend them as a quality network that can deliver low ping to east coast (maybe even central) clients?

AboveNet Network is super good and their support are excellent...

Jeninifer, I'm glad that you love aboveNet so much that you are willing to sign up just now just to post that they are good...?

Originally posted by antonym66
    This server is for east coast clients. What bout Netivex or CRNC, would you recommend them as a quality network that can deliver low ping to east coast (maybe even central) clients?
    Search the forums for both of those, I've heard good things about CRNC.

I'm not a big fan of AboveNet either, for the NYC area check out CRNC, Netivex and Voxrox.

they used to be really good - but they have definately slid over the past 2 years. we just got rid of them last month and saw our traffic improve. there are much better choices.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

I'm not a fan of Abovenet, especially if they're MORE expensive for you. On of the appealing points about them is they're generally more affordable than other carriers.

They have a rather small network, compared to the Tier 1's, and simply don't have many end users on their network. Thir international presence is basically non-existant. Then take a look at their financials... http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=ABVT.PK
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Originally posted by KarlZimmer
    I'm not a fan of Abovenet, especially if they're MORE expensive for you. On of the appealing points about them is they're generally more affordable than other carriers.

They have a rather small network, compared to the Tier 1's, and simply don't have many end users on their network. Thir international presence is basically non-existant. Then take a look at their financials... http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=ABVT.PK
    holy crap - I cant believe they ahve not bankrupted again already.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

If you take the financials into consideration than you have very limited choices as many of the providers are in poor shape.

Look at the stock price of L3 trading at $2.08 or Cogent at $7.60.

Abovenet are rubbish IMO, unfortunately my routes to the US nearly always use them, it's been pretty hard to get more than 100kb/s cross country...

Most infrastructure provider require extensive build up and heavy investment in the initial infrastructure. This is the reason why most of them are in heavy debt and has pretty bad financial performance generally. It's the nature of the industry.

That said, Abovenet does look pretty bad. Their cash position doesn't look like it's sufficient for a single month's burn rate...
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

It appears that Cogent is doing siginificantly better than AboveNet, financially at least.

As for the network, its pretty decent although I wouldn't call it high quality per se.

although companies such as gigeservers and staminus (offer ddos protection) use only them for incoming bandwidth. I think they help costumers in ddos attacks dont know how or if its true, but many irc providers (need to be protected from ddoses) use them.

abovenet is Tier-1 right?
    Nobody is perfect! My name is nobody!

i would say checkout superb.net. ive never hosted there but they look pretty solid, complete US network of there own along with links to euro. they also offer for a slight higher price improved routes and give you a 100% uptime garuntee. they have a DC located in vienna, VA.

D3m0n,

AboveNet is Tier-2, they pay for their ATDN and AT&T transit. Secondly, AboveNet provides minimal assistance in mitigating DDoS. The reason companies such as Staminus and gigeservers use them is because they offer really, really good pricing on inbound traffic.

Heh i thought it was because of abovenet's good ddos protection

Which providers are Tier-1 ?
    Nobody is perfect! My name is nobody!

Not at all, there really are better companies to use if you're talking about quality and stability of network. It's all about dollar economics when IRC providers use AboveNet.

Tier-1 providers include (last I checked and to best of my knowledge) MCI, Qwest, Savvis, Level(3), AT&T, and Sprint to name a few.

I know the following Tier 1 ISPs: ATT, Williams Communications, ATDN, the old BBN network (Genuity now), Cable and Wirless, GLBX, Level(3), Verio, Primus, Optus, Verizon, Qwest, British Telecom (BT), UUNet/Sprint, Telstra, and Savvis. Doesn't SBC run their own network too? I don't think they pay for peering.

Originally posted by music
    If you take the financials into consideration than you have very limited choices as many of the providers are in poor shape.

Look at the stock price of L3 trading at $2.08 or Cogent at $7.60.
    L3's financials look very good to me, comparatively to any of the other carriers, what $700 million in cash, etc.? Cogent also isn't in nearly as bad of shape as Abovenet, from what I can tell. Abovenet has a negative gross profit (gross loss) and that is simply sad... The only thing saving Abovenet is their substantial assets, which I wouldn't be surprised if they are grossly over-valued...
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Originally posted by SolidJoe
    I know the following Tier 1 ISPs: ATT, Williams Communications, ATDN, the old BBN network (Genuity now), Cable and Wirless, GLBX, Level(3), Verio, Primus, Optus, Verizon, Qwest, British Telecom (BT), UUNet/Sprint, Telstra, and Savvis. Doesn't SBC run their own network too? I don't think they pay for peering.
    Careful, some of those international carriers may be Tier-1 only in their home continent. Telia for example, is Tier-1 in Europe and Tier-2 in the U.S. (paying for UUnet and Sprint, last I checked).

I think your list is a bit old.

Williams Communications is now WilTel Communications, Genuity was purchased by Level(3) several years ago, and Savvis wasn't Tier 1 until they purchased Cable and Wireless US, which now, I believe, makes Cable and Wireless not a tier 1, as they are basically restricted to operating in the UK. Those are just the ones I am familiar with...

I think your list is a bit old.

Williams Communications is now WilTel Communications, Genuity was purchased by Level(3) several years ago, and Savvis wasn't Tier 1 until they purchased Cable and Wireless US, which now, I believe, makes Cable and Wireless not a tier 1, as they are basically restricted to operating in the UK. Those are just the ones I am familiar with...
    Not a list, just the names I like to call them by...Williams/WilTel, same thing. BBN was puchased by Genuity, then bought by Level(3), but I wasn't sure if they had integrated their networks together or if they were still seperate. I also thought CW still had operations in Latin America and Europe.

L3's financials look very good to me, comparatively to any of the other carriers, what $700 million in cash, etc.? Cogent also isn't in nearly as bad of shape as Abovenet, from what I can tell. Abovenet has a negative gross profit (gross loss) and that is simply sad... The only thing saving Abovenet is their substantial assets, which I wouldn't be surprised if they are grossly over-valued...
    yeah abovenets losses are double their revenue numbers. that means they are losing double the amount of their revenue billings - so they would need to at least triple their billings with no increase in costs just to break even - in reality they would need to increase their sales by about 5 to 6 times to give a decent return to shareholders. I would say these guys are either going to get bought or bankrupt again and sold at auction.

I would not be surprised to see it happen in the next 90 days. their cash on hand as someone pointed out is only about 30 days runway. unless some idiots are ready to throw money at them...
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Originally posted by extort
    i would say checkout superb.net. ive never hosted there but they look pretty solid, complete US network of there own along with links to euro. they also offer for a slight higher price improved routes and give you a 100% uptime garuntee. they have a DC located in vienna, VA.
    nice first post. who do you work for?? LOL!

http://www.hopone.net/about.php - I would not call that a "complete us network of their own along with links to euro" especially in the topic of this discussion.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Level 3 triples loss in Q2
    Thursday July 21, 5:01 pm ET
    Citing declining revenue and a one-time gain from last year, Level 3 Communications Inc. announced on Thursday that it nearly tripled its second-quarter loss.
    Level 3 (NASDAQ: LVLT - News) reported a loss of $188 million, or 27 cents a share, on revenue of $910 million.
    In January, the company announced it would lay off up to 600 workers -- or 12 percent of its work force -- to save between $60 million and $70 million in annual labor costs.
    Level 3 shares declined 14 cents to close at $2.07 Thursday.
    http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/050721/1137624.html?.v=2

Citing declining revenue and a one-time gain from last year, Level 3 Communications Inc. announced on Thursday that it nearly tripled its second-quarter loss.
    Level 3 (NASDAQ: LVLT - News) reported a loss of $188 million, or 27 cents a share, on revenue of $910 million.
    In January, the company announced it would lay off up to 600 workers -- or 12 percent of its work force -- to save between $60 million and $70 million in annual labor costs.
    see - to me this is a better story - its going in the wrong direction - but its within read for them to get things under control and or increase their revenu enough to cover losses.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Not a list, just the names I like to call them by...Williams/WilTel, same thing. BBN was puchased by Genuity, then bought by Level(3), but I wasn't sure if they had integrated their networks together or if they were still seperate. I also thought CW still had operations in Latin America and Europe.
    You are correct, CW operates in more areas than I had previously noted, though I am not sure if they still have Tier 1 status. The Genuity/L3 deal was done 2003, I believe, and they were integrated pretty quickly.

Considering Level(3) isn't close to going under I am not worried at all. They have plenty of money in the bank, a much larger customer base, a possitive EBITDA, plenty of financial backing, etc. and they still haven't declared Chapter 11 at all, unlike Global Crossing, Abovenet, MCI, et al.

I agree with Karl, there are many ways in which Level(3) could dramatically increase it's returns should it choose to do so. This ranges from laying off unnecessary labor, dumping unprofitable synergy sites, and even becoming slightly more liberal in it's price strategy on new contracts.

Lets all hope that L3 files for Bankruptcy because then we would probably see bandwidth prices move lower. Hoping to see the day when L3 competes with Cogent……..Now that would be fun.

Some speculation that they will file by the end of the year.

Lets all hope that L3 files for Bankruptcy because then we would probably see bandwidth prices move lower. Hoping to see the day when L3 competes with Cogent……..Now that would be fun.

Some speculation that they will file by the end of the year.
    I'm not really that educated on the BW market place, but if it is like any other product, BW will, one day, become a commodity market.

On another note, unless you have an MBA in financial management, it is difficult to determine how a company is actually doing. Accountants perform miracles when it comes to the books.

Look at Amazon, they lost money for year, after year, after year, after year in frightening amounts..... Now, it's like a piece of chewing gum stuck on the sole of your shoe.....it ain't going nowhere.
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK™ ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Originally posted by PSFServers
    I'm not really that educated on the BW market place, but if it is like any other product, BW will, one day, become a commodity market.

On another note, unless you have an MBA in financial management, it is difficult to determine how a company is actually doing. Accountants perform miracles when it comes to the books.

Look at Amazon, they lost money for year, after year, after year, after year in frightening amounts..... Now, it's like a piece of chewing gum stuck on the sole of your shoe.....it ain't going nowhere.
    I do have an MBA.

btw - the bandwidth market has already been comoditized.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

the miracles they perform on the books is exactly why companies implode (enron)

Amazon is quite simple. They operated on a plan of advertising early, a lot, so they would have the brand built. They spent LARGE amounts of their budget on advertising, knowing the coud cut advertising and be pulling a profit. They reached the point where they were THE name in online shopping, had no more need to advertise, and are now doing quite well.

Back to Tier 1 ISPs...does anybody else have an opinion on if SBC is a Tier 1 ISP or not? Their peering arrangements make them seem like they are, and I don't think they purchase from anyone.

Back to Tier 1 ISPs...does anybody else have an opinion on if SBC is a Tier 1 ISP or not? Their peering arrangements make them seem like they are, and I don't think they purchase from anyone.
    no they are not.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Originally posted by sailor
    no they are not.
    They will be once the AT&T deal is done though... That and Verizon/MCI will be interesting to watch.

Doesn't SBC run their own network too? I don't think they pay for peering.
    Last I checked, they still purchased Sprint transit to anywhere they didn't have a peering route.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast