Moving to a new server, Need Help

Hello,
    I need help moving to a new server, I'm not sure how to do this. Here is a timeline of events:

Registered 2 domains and hosted via host A.
    Switched to host B for 4 months or so.
    Now I'm trying to move to a new server w/ host B.
    New server is up and ready to go at Host B.

How do I make all requests for my url go to the new server? I'm using WHM and Cpanel. I'm looking for a step by step help. Even though my host is a "managed" host they don't really seem to want to help me step by step. I'm not sure if my old host still has control or what. I'm just a programmer not trained for system administration like this. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    WeezelDS
    Last edited by WeezelDS; 08-02-2005 at 03:49 PM.

WeezelDS,
    I'd recommend a search on the forums with keywords like "migration", "switching", or something of the like...

Many threads have documented this sort of issue in the past.
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

I did, but none of the posts I saw offered wut I was looking for exactly.

Are your sites on a dedicated server, or shared?

dedicated server....i upgraded cuz the first server w/ host B couldnt handle the load

first server is FreeBSD, new server is CentOS

Hello

1- You should Setup your DNS,add ips ,settings on the new server & Update your Nameservers IPs in your domain registrar to the new server ips primary & secondary .

2- Move your Accounts to the new Server via SSH or use WHM to do this for your .

* Threads talking about the same subject :

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ove+new+server

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread....ghlight=backup

Regards,
    ٍSecurityWay.Net Managed Solutions
    Linux Security,Domain Registration Service,eNom Reseller Account from an ETP.
    http://domains.securityway.net/
    Believe an expert, believe on who has had experience.

Hello,

"1- You should Setup your DNS,add ips ,settings on the new server & Update your Nameservers IPs in your domain registrar to the new server ips primary & secondary ."

1. How do I setup DNS, add ips, settings on the new server? (the new server already has an ip that I can access w/ the website running fine, is that it?)

2. How do i update my nameserver IPs in my domain registrar?

3. How do I know the new server ips primary and secondary?

4. Is my old host my registrar? I registered w/ them, but I don't know if my new host is now my registrar.

"2- Move your Accounts to the new Server via SSH or use WHM to do this for your . "

I already have my whm and cpanel accounts moved over to the new server.

Okay, I just got IPs/domain names for the new nameservers on the new server.
    x.x.x.x ns1.mydomain.com
    x.x.x.x ns2.mydomain.com

So now all i need to do is tell my old host to update his DNS to point to these new domain servers? Is that all I have to do?
    Last edited by WeezelDS; 08-02-2005 at 04:58 PM.

Hey mate, A guide from the creators themselves:

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread....ghlight=backup

and yes, tell your domain name registrar to point to the new IPs, just look in the above URL For any more help you may need, its all there!

Cheers

Thanks man,

One thing I didn't understand in that link tho

"Transfers have completed, let's make the change happen! Here we go:

1. Login to old server as root
    2. cd /var/named
    3. perl -pi.bak -e "s/[oldip]/[newip]/g" *.db
    4. /etc/rc.d/init.d/named restart

This will point all the sites to the newip. Hopefully most of your sites are on a shared ip. For all the accounts that are NOT on a shared ip you will need to copy the .db.bak for that domain to .db and edit it to reflect the new IP.
    MAKE SURE that you restore the back up file (.db.bak) for the old server's hostname and namesevers, otherwise your DNS will be useless."

By "shared ip" i'm guessing he meant shared server....this is a dedicated server...but i don't know wut he meant by "copy .db.bak for that domain to .db and edit it to reflect the new IP." Half the time I can't even log into the old server it is so crashy. Is this necessary?....won't telling my registrar to point to the new nameservers be enuf?

I wished that there were managed web hosts that would Manage this for you.

Thanks for the help,
    WeezelDS

*bump*