tricked by an Ebay seller

Hi,

excuse my poor English.

We've been tricked by an Ebay seller. At begining of June we ordered 3 Dell used servers total of $7000. From the begining this people was delaying answers and they send us the goods when we told them that we will cancel the order. That is the worst idea I had in my life, instead threaten them I had to cancel the order in that moment.

Because when the goods arrived to Spain we found that they tricked us. They didn't sent the right hard disks, instead send 15K SCSI drives, send 10K models; they send power supplies that are not ok even for USA customers 40-70v models that even Dell people don't know what they are; no power cords, because PS connectors are very rare, nor standard. The only right thing they did was sent us two 15k drives, probably the only ones they found, but each server has 3 drives and are 3 servers, then I couldn't fix even a single box.

After cross a lot of emails with them and spend a lot of time chatting I decided to put a time limit. Tomorrow ends that limit.

Each month we lost more than $1000 because have to pay old dedicated servers and the space we hired on a datacenter in Germany. But the worst part is the big ammount of money we lost because we've been preparing the moving since months ago in August.

I'm not absolutely stupid but I feel like that actually. We purchased many times thru ebay and working with American companies since 15 years ago, I did a research about this people thru Internet, has thousands of good reviews in Ebay, etc.

I assumed that we will lost a lot of money in any way, because we have no time to complete moving in August, even if they refund the money and compensate in some way or we have to sell the servers in Ebay again as parts.

Ask for your advise about how to act legally against this people. I suppose the only way is to do a complaint in a consumer office or something like that but I'm open to any sugestion.

Thanks in advance
    Viki

Ebay + Paypal is a haven for crooks. Don't buy anything, and I mean ANYTHING, over $200 from there again. I've learned my lesson the hard way.

Also, be very careful buying from those vendors you see on Pricewatch. Many sell items so cheaply because they are refurbished, then lie about it. They often don't have the warranty they claim either.

If you ever buy new hard drives online, DOUBLE CHECK the warrantee. I know Seagate's site lets you input the serial number and check. Bought some "new" hard drives from a Pricewatch source that was supposed to have a 5-year warranty. Ended up with drives that all had less than 1 year warranty left. Called up the vendor and got some BS excuse saying that it's because the HDs have been sitting on the shelf for 4 years. Contacted Seagate they told me that model had been out for less than 2 years.

To top it off, about 6 months later they had the nerve to try and charge my credit card again, even after the drives have long been returned.

Sometimes, it's worth it to pay a little extra buying from a more reputable company, especially when your business is on the line.

We buy a lot of stuff on eBay and from pricegrabber / pricewatch vendors. I've never had a problem with pricegrabber / pricewatch vendors, although some are obviously shady. However, on eBay, we ended up buying 3 Cisco 3550 switches, which were apparently stolen from some goverment agency. That was pretty interesting ...
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Like Skeptical we learned it the hard way when dealing with people on eBay. Lost quite an amount of money because I let my impulse take over my insight. ( Happened once and NEVER again!! )

If you got the goods, most properly because either the seller is poorly informed about these or is trying a scheme, you can try a fraud charge on eBay and see what happens, but taking into consideration you have recieved the goods but not as described on the auction. if you used PayPal then you can opt for a chargeback for the amount lost.

After all these, go with the wise old saying that is used on eBay.
    "If it looks too good to be true, it properly isn't!"

Good luck on your other purchases.

PS. Whats wrong with the voltage? Cobalt RaQs have about the same rating as that. Consumes lesser power and would be good when placed on a UPS as they don't suck up the batteries too quickly in a power surge.
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

I have not purchased any high dollar items off ebay, but I am curious why people don't use an escrow service like escrow.com when purchasing such high price items?

I have never had a problem with ebay / paypal vendors. Feedback is always checked. And I usually do not buy purchases that big so I might not be the right person to comment on that.

uh...there are a lot of refurbish parts/computers from vendor themselves that is selling on ebay. there are Dell ebay, HP ebay store...why not just buy from vendor's ebay store?

Hello,

we use Ebay often and never had a problem. If you see that seller has 1300 positive feedback, 1 negative in the last 12 months is a reasonable starting point. If you did some research on Google, 30-40 links none negative; 1 complain in BBB fixed, looks a no risky business.

Escrow? probably, yes. We used before, but the standard terms we use didn't work in this case. Normally you can check the goods in front of the Fedex man, but this case would require to check each detail.

galacnet about power supplies how do you connect something that works at 40-70v? A friend tolds us that probably is a PS prepared to work with telephony equipment. But even the connector is very extrange. American works at 110v, here 220v... check the attached picture.

I have not too much experience about complains, my partner yes, but want to advance while he is on vacations. I though to contact with Ebay, BBB and post their data publicly. Do you sugest another approach? do you know other agencies that deal with this issues, specially about Internet purchases? There are serious lawyers that could manage this issue remotely, without advance money, in exchange per a percentage?

Thanks for your help
    Viki
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ps_all.jpg  

This is one of the strangest thing I have ever saw....

may be try searching its model number of the power supply on eBay and see if they have the power cables for it...

Maybe it was supposed to be connected to a UPS or something.
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

I've purchased many high priced items from eBay and only had a problem once...and that was resolved when I did a Paypal payment dispute and got my money back.

The key is to check the feedback.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

galacnet,

Dell tech staff in Europe have no idea about what it is that PS and they said that didn't find any reference to that model. We are researching about this issue since more than one month ago, asked in Dell forums, call them and the only idea is something related to telephony systems because the connector and voltage supported. Even more Dell staff in Europe told us that we can't replace the PS for European models because it will not work with 2650's American ones, true?

But lets technical details apart if can't suggest a solution. The issue here is how we could complain against this people. We need your suggestions about it.

Please don't use this thread to speak about your good or bad experiences with eBay, we had a lot of good ones, but found the dark side.

Thanks,
    Viki
    Last edited by viki; 08-03-2005 at 06:42 AM.

Well, from what I think if I was in this situation, I would rip one of it apaart, get the Motherboard number, check up for compartible PS units, buy and plug one into test it out.

better than letting it lay there without a purpose.

Or alternatively, I would contact the seller and demand an explaination for this and a refund if they can't solve your problem as your first thread, you said the item arrived not as discribed.
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

Originally posted by Jimerson
    I have never had a problem with ebay / paypal vendors. Feedback is always checked. And I usually do not buy purchases that big so I might not be the right person to comment on that.
    Feebacks are useless as many accounts are stolen. That's how I got defrauded.

For those of you who mentioned relying on feedbacks and seem comfortable with it, you are just a few clicks away from being a victim. Learn from what I went through. Just say no to anything over $200 on eBay. If you want to buy/sell anything over that, assume the worst might happen and be extra extra EXTRA careful. Your money is only as safe as the weakest link in the entire transaction chain. Stolen identities are a dime a dozen and eBay/Paypal could care less. If you're fine with that then go for it.
    Last edited by Skeptical; 08-03-2005 at 07:42 AM.

14. I guess everyone here almost got danged on ebay.. well I did.. and I leart a few things...

Yes, feedbacks should not be considered as a sole decision factor. You have to check what's the feedback for.. does this person buys and sells.. or only only sells.. I try to stay away with all those one ways...

What I do is I build up on communication with the seller. I usually ask him for his phone number... its hard sometimes but most of them are okay to give it out if they know you are serious about their listing.

I clearly tell them why I am doing it.. and some of them do understand.

The problem is cuz of some bad people on ebay.. everyone gets painted by the same brush. You just have to look out for yourself... you get good deals, but again if its too good to be true, well then prolly it is...

Lastly only deal with credit card on Ebay. Do not pay through bank card, echeck, money order.. all those things. Credit card protects you for fraudelent charges. I guess MC is changing their policy... but essentially if something goes wrong you have something to fall on.

Key to sucess on ebay is communication between the two parties... and then its just about your sense and gut feeling. There is no hard core, stone engraved rules...All I recommend is research on your seller.. is he selling for too less? try to get hold of his past buyers.. communicate with em..

But just do not go solely on the basis of feedback.. .as one of the people on the forum mentioned it could all be a hoax.

Otherwise, best of luck for your future purchases
    http://www.bluewirehosting.net
    Empowering the WEB
    Hosting, Email Hosting, Reseller Hosting -> We have it all.

That's a DC power supply connector, probably designed to run on 48V DC systems in telco's and many standard datacenters. Looks like you will definately need some sort of Molex adapter to use it though.
    bye

Hi amps,

I suppose is not only a matter of an adapter, isn't it? At least our datacenter works at 240v, an adapter will not fix the problem. Or I'm missing somehting?

Thanks,
    Viki

Originally posted by bluewirehosting
    Lastly only deal with credit card on Ebay. Do not pay through bank card, echeck, money order.. all those things. Credit card protects you for fraudelent charges. I guess MC is changing their policy... but essentially if something goes wrong you have something to fall on.
    :word:

If you can use a credit card and not Paypal. They may make you think you have some buyer protection/insurance, but nothing is better than a credit card. When Paypal dips their hands into your bank account what do you think happens? The right to chargebacks suddenly goes out the window. Why not just let users use credit cards fully? It's not hard to figure out.

Credit card companies back up end users fully. Paypal? Keep dreaming.

I had a similiar problem...

There are steps to take!! I would contact PayPal or the credit card you used w/ paypal

If you had the money come out of a Bank account...contact them!!

Originally posted by viki
    Hi amps,

I suppose is not only a matter of an adapter, isn't it? At least our datacenter works at 240v, an adapter will not fix the problem. Or I'm missing somehting?

Thanks,
    Viki
    Indeed, if your datacenter does not offer DC power then you cannot use the servers. If they only provide 240V AC then the servers are door stops.

Mostly datacenters who are heavily telecom offer DC.
    bye

Ouch.