help with YUM and APT and others...

Hi guys, I just got a brand new box with fedora core 3 I guess installed on it ( I was told fc 4 was going to be put on it but I think I saw three when it booted ), but I am trying to install a bunch of things like BIND, and it needs like 12 dependencies which I don't want to install manually, so I'm trying to use yum to install APT then I can use APT to install bind I was told, and that would be all automated.

Thing is, YUM won't run.

[root@localhost tmp]# yum update

You have enabled checking of packages via GPG keys. This is a good thing.
    However, you do not have any GPG public keys installed. You need to download
    the keys for packages you wish to install and install them.
    You can do that by running the command:
    rpm --import public.gpg.key
    For more information contact your distribution or package provider.
    [root@localhost tmp]# rpm --import public.gpg.key
    error: public.gpg.key: import read failed.
    [root@localhost tmp]#
    What do I do? I don't know how to download the gpg.key's into the box, I tried the command it gave me but no luck? Help please??

Thank you in advance.

you just need download it from fedora mirror sites
    i am not remember where it is, but you may find some of fedora mirror in your /etc/yum.conf
    then just go there and find section "download" or "mirror". there you will find this key.
    TK Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR

Do a google search on yum or fedora, and you'll find the pages that go in to detail on how to do this. It's not difficult, it just takes about 5-10 minutes of effort to figure it out.
    I wish all my traffic went through AS174.

yea, thanks, i actually figured it out on my own by a small google search and 10 mins of reading, lol....

I just disabled the gpg check and it works.

What other things are there like YUM, APT and K3B, I might as well install them all right now while I'm at it, to gain experience.

Good, that's the spirit. You'd be surprised at how easy things are if you just google around or read the documentation. Good luck and happy learning.
    I wish all my traffic went through AS174.

ok, so I ran

rpm -U http://www.fedoralegacy.org/FEDORA-LEGACY-GPG-KEY

and yum runs now, but I get errors when running:

yum install bind*

It gives me the errors these rpm's don't have GPG keys, which is weird. What do I do now? In /etc/yum.con I already set GPG check to 0 but I don't know if it's taken effect.

is there something I did wrong, or how do I disable GPG key checks totally on the server, or is it the files that are bad, and I need another DEPO, (in that case, can someone share their depo's list).

Thank you, I tried googling this but i'm running in circles with my tail btw my legs....

public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/rmt-0.4b39-1.FC3.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/zlib-devel-1.2.1.2-3.fc3.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/openssh-clients-3.9p1-8.0.2.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/words-3.0-2.3.noarch.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/libtool-1.5.6-4.FC3.2.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/krb5-devel-1.3.6-7.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/dbus-0.22-10.FC3.2.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/libxml2-devel-2.6.16-3.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/dmraid-1.0.0.rc8-FC3_2.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/iptables-1.2.11-3.1.FC3.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/ipsec-tools-0.5-2.fc3.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/gzip-1.3.3-15.fc3.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/system-config-securitylevel-tui-1.4.18-2.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/zlib-1.2.1.2-3.fc3.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/man-1.5o1-7.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/tar-1.14-5.FC3.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/openssh-server-3.9p1-8.0.2.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/gcc-g77-3.4.4-2.fc3.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/kernel-utils-2.4-13.1.49_FC3.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/gcc-3.4.4-2.fc3.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/curl-devel-7.12.3-3.fc3.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/selinux-policy-targeted-1.17.30-3.16.noarch.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/gdb-6.1post-1.20040607.43.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/perl-5.8.5-14.FC3.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/bzip2-libs-1.0.2-13.FC3.1.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/libstdc++-3.4.4-2.fc3.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/cups-libs-1.1.22-0.rc1.8.5.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/glibc-common-2.3.5-0.fc3.1.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/nfs-utils-1.0.6-52.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/krb5-workstation-1.3.6-7.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/nscd-2.3.5-0.fc3.1.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/kernel-2.6.12-1.1372_FC3.i686.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/base/packages/desktop-file-utils-0.9-2.i386.rpm
    public key not available for //var/cache/yum/base/packages/libidn-devel-0.5.6-1.i386.rpm
    I have PAGES of these errors when trying "yum update"

Can someone please help me out, google is out of help to me now. Why am I getting these errors?

This is what my "/etc/yum.conf" looks like:

[main]
    cachedir=/var/cache/yum
    debuglevel=2
    logfile=/var/log/yum.log
    pkgpolicy=newest
    distroverpkg=redhat-release
    tolerant=1
    exactarch=1
    retries=20
    obsoletes=1
    gpgcheck=0

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
    # in /etc/yum.repos.d
    http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fed...86/yum/stable/
    http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/dist/fc1/apt/
    Is anything in there incorrect? These errors are really pissing me off.

can anyone please help, I've been stumped for hours now, just wasting my time looking in circles on google.

rpm --import [gpg.key.url]

I already used that, I don't believe that's the issue, I think I just need WORKING and CORRECT depo's for Fedora Core 3/4 files.

What else can I use to install bind and all it's dependencies? Yum, I am trying, APT and k3B I am trying, what else is there?

Anyone share working complete respositories list and GPG keys to import with me please? I am searching and searching and adding more and more repositories and gpg keys but most are not working correctly, missing ONE single dependency or something.

I ran this command "yum install bind*" and I get these errors, after EVERYTHING that I have done ALL day working on this crap.

Finished Dependency Resolution
    Error: missing dep: bind-utils for pkg bind
    Error: missing dep: bind-libs for pkg bind
    Error: missing dep: /lib/security/pam_loginuid.so for pkg openssh-server
    Error: Missing Dependency: libreadline.so.4 is needed by package cdecl
    Error: Missing Dependency: libreadline.so.4 is needed by package apt
    WTF is wrong with yum and apt, I mean this stuff is supposed to be automated, but I've been at my pc since 8 am trying to install f'ing bind, but I get having to install more and more f'ing dependenicies.

Can someone please help me out and say what I am doing wrong? I mean this is ridiculous how hard it is to install bind on this server.

can someone, anyone help me with my installation of apt and bind? and how to fix YUM while I'm at it?

The yum.conf you posted seems to be grabbing packages from the Fedora Core 1 repo. Please post the output of the following command:

cat /etc/redhat-release
    Chief brew-maker at several hosting brands since 2002.

FLXI | UK based, cPanel/WHM reseller hosting
    Pay-as-you-go billing, why pay for what you don't use?

ok, you have a problem with your yum setup. So, firstly STOP ADDING new repositories to it!!!

Remove them all.

Now, add in the base repository for fedora. Import its GPG key. turn on GPG key checking.

Now run "yum clean" to get rid of all the cached stuff.

Now run "yum upgrade" and let it work, then you can try yum bind. if at this point, bind won't install, *then* you can start looking for new repositories.

I think you've gotten caught up in the problems that you've lost sight of the basic steps that are needed. Walk away from it for a little and come back to it in an hour.

/cat/redhat-release = Fedora Core 3 (Heidelberg)

I will remove all repositories and try again.

ok, so I removed all the stuff from /etc/yum.conf, now I have got it back to the default

"# Note: This file is no longer the entire yum configuration
    # for fedorafaq.org. See http://www.fedorafaq.org/#yumconf
    # for details on how to set up your system with the new
    # yum configuration.

[main]
    cachedir=/var/cache/yum
    debuglevel=2
    logfile=/var/log/yum.log
    pkgpolicy=newest
    distroverpkg=redhat-release
    tolerant=1
    exactarch=1
    obsoletes=1
    # We don't want to gpg-check local, unsigned packages
    #gpgcheck=1
    # Changed this because some mirrors go down and then
    # re-trying takes forever.
    retries=1
    timeout=10

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
    # in /etc/yum.repos.d
    "

and I cleared out the /etc/cache/yum directory with rm -fr *, and I tried running yum update.

I have major problems now, I just totally screwed up YUM. It won't run anymore.

[root@localhost yum]# yum upgrade
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/yum", line 6, in ?
    import yummain
    File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 23, in ?
    import yum
    File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 20, in ?
    import rpm
    ImportError: /usr/lib/librpm-4.3.so: undefined symbol: rpm_execcon
    What is the next step from here? Is it to uninstall YUM and then reinstall YUM again? If that is the case, what is the way to do it?

My system is FEDORA CORE 3, not fedora core 4 like I thought (and my host kept saying he installed).

Thanks for you guys help, hopefully I can fix this early today.

lol, perfect, more trouble.

[root@localhost etc]# rpm -e yum
    rpm: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/librpm-4.3.so: undefined symbol: rpm_execcon
    error: %preun(yum-2.1.11-3.noarch) scriptlet failed, exit status 127
    Reformatting isn't an option, so how do I fix all these problems by hand?

lol, I actually found a way to fix it today, there was a new version of yum released yesterday, so I grabbed it and it fixed the problems, but I still have HELLA problems trying to install BIND, I mean what the heck is the deal with this, why am I having such difficulties installing bind?

I did "yum update", then "apt-get install bind" and it still won't install.

[root@localhost tmp]# apt-get install bind*
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    Selecting bind for 'bind-9.3.1-4.i386.rpm'
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
    the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
    that package should be filed.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    bind: Depends: bind-libs (= 24:9.3.1-4) but 24:9.2.5-3 is to be installed
    Depends: bind-utils (= 24:9.3.1-4) but 24:9.2.5-3 is to be installed
    Depends: libbind9.so.0 but it is not installable
    Depends: libcrypto.so.5 but it is not installable
    Depends: libdns.so.20 but it is not installable
    Depends: libisc.so.9 but it is not installable
    Depends: libisccfg.so.1 but it is not installable
    E: Broken packages
    [root@localhost tmp]#
    Am I doing something wrong? lol, I thought APT is used to automatically install a software and ALL dependencies, why is it giving me these errors instead of installing all the dependencies?

How do I freaking install bind? I have tried to set this server up for two days now and I just don't get why this is so hard.