Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Anyone here own a gaming center?

Since this is a bit off topic for hosting related stuff...I figured this would be the best place for it.

My husband and I own a local gaming center (computer network, PS2, Xbox (live), etc.). I'm currently working on the website for it and was wondering if anyone else had any ideas of what to put on it.

I would love to trade some tips and advice with others. We've been doing this for about a year or so and we're kinda learning as we go along.

Also, has anyone else here thought of starting a gaming center? It seems like hosting and a physical location like a gaming center are pretty much in the same ballpark. It was my husbands idea, actually, after we had one too many fights over his gaming addiction...and I happened to say "I wish I had a dollar for every hour you play those stupid games!".

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

I am not sure if a gaming center would do good where I live. We do not have one around here or even a internet cafe. I am guessing it cost around $200,000.00+ to get a gaming center started up? As well how does your gaming center do on average? I would love to hear more about it if you do not mind .

Whoa! No way did it cost that much at all. We put about $10,000 into computers and around $3000 in three 27 inch tvs and 3 Xboxes and 2 PS2s and games and a projector for playing games on the wall...supersized.

Our rent is only around $400 a month. We make around that much on the weekends alone and we don't advertise at all. Its all just walk in traffic...and once the kids find it, they will come in droves!

We make quite a bit on selling soda. We get a big ol' case at Sam's Club and double our money by selling @ 50 cents a can.

--Tina
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

$13,000.00 wow not to bad! How much you charge to go play games?

Originally posted by AH-Tina
    Whoa! No way did it cost that much at all. We put about $10,000 into computers and around $3000 in three 27 inch tvs and 3 Xboxes and 2 PS2s and games and a projector for playing games on the wall...supersized.

Our rent is only around $400 a month. We make around that much on the weekends alone and we don't advertise at all. Its all just walk in traffic...and once the kids find it, they will come in droves!

We make quite a bit on selling soda. We get a big ol' case at Sam's Club and double our money by selling @ 50 cents a can.

--Tina

Wow ... $400 a month for rent is peanuts. What size space do you have?

A local person I know here literally lost her shirt trying to start a cybercafe in the local mall. The rent was like $5K/mo, though, and she wasn't properly capitalized.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

We charge $2 an hour for games. We also do computer and game console repair, hold tournaments, do consignments, etc.

--Tina

Originally posted by Jay Suds

A local person I know here literally lost her shirt trying to start a cybercafe in the local mall. The rent was like $5K/mo, though, and she wasn't properly capitalized.

The mall here charges that much as well. Really it is better to get a place far away from the mall. I have seen businesses come and go in the mall for the same reason that you stated.

We charge $2 an hour for games. We also do computer and game console repair, hold tournaments, do consignments, etc.

--Tina
    How big of a space do you have? As well sounds like you have a solid business!

Originally posted by Jay Suds

Yeah, we live in a small tourist town - we have a small shop right on the main street, so the traffic is amazing. We're lucky.

Our place isn't very big and we've definitely outgrown it. We could double our space and do better...but its kind of a toss up because then our rent would be higher. Its like, how big do we *really* want to be?

--Tina

Originally posted by Torith
    How big of a space do you have? As well sounds like you have a solid business!
    We have 15 workstations (computers) lined up, 3 TVs, a bistro table and 4 chairs (for WIFI customers) and a futon for lounging/playing on the TVs....and our counter/cash register area. We also have a work area in the back that is pretty crammed full of stuff.

--Tina

We have 15 workstations (computers) lined up, 3 TVs, a bistro table and 4 chairs (for WIFI customers) and a futon for lounging/playing on the TVs....and our counter/cash register area. We also have a work area in the back that is pretty crammed full of stuff.

--Tina
    Sounds very nice Tina. How long have you been doing it for? As well do you charge your husband for playing games?

We've been working on it for about a year and a half...been opened for about a year.

He plays for free because its now considered "research".

--Tina

Hi Tina, I used to own a gaming centre in the UK - we used to use a computer controller called smartlaunch which made it possible to show people on our website which pcs where in use, by who, and also which game they where playing - we where actually working on a way where people could credit their 'accounts' online via credit card .

Its a great industry but not the most profitable unfortunately.

No, its not get rich kinda money - but it is better than working a 9 - 5 job and is much more fun. It also gives us a little extra money each month to play around with...so I think its worth it.

I was actually just researching smartlaunch. We use Internet Caffe Pro and its really starting to annoy me. Any downside to using smartlaunch?

--Tina

Smartlaunch is mazing - i highly suggest you ask them for a free trial of the software - i PROMISE you will not be dissapointed - the cdkey management alone is worth the cost of the program - it has countless features and is by far the best out there! - i used to use cafesuite before it and nothing comes near to smartlaunch its truely amazing lol - and no i don't work for them

Wow, $2/hour is cheap. The local gaming cafe by me is $5.50/hour.

we used to charge around 5 dollars an hour, made around 5-6k a month,wasnt enough though

i also suggest you join the igames leagues for your tournaments etc, the company was setup just for gaming centres and is sponsored by all the big companys, Microsoft, Blizzard etc, we got our xboxes and games free off microsoft, Plus games monthly of many of the other software companys

I've been there... very fun... though I can't play FPS any more... makes my head dizzy.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs
    Powered By JAM - Professional Website Development - PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, AJAX - Projects Small & Large

That awsome AH-Tina.
    Two guys rented out an old space in town and made one with about 16 computers, their space, sodas candy etc. They charge 20 bucks for all day, or 5 bucks an hour i believe. The owners switch off, and they play WoW

Do you guys have internet for the computers to play online?

That sounds pretty good what you've got going their AH-Tina.

Any photos we can see?

Originally posted by ScionStatic(Stevo)
    That awsome AH-Tina.
    Two guys rented out an old space in town and made one with about 16 computers, their space, sodas candy etc. They charge 20 bucks for all day, or 5 bucks an hour i believe. The owners switch off, and they play WoW

Do you guys have internet for the computers to play online?
    Yes, they do. It's quite fun... until the afore mentioned effect
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs