Question Best merchant and payment gateway for business start-up

I'm starting an e-commerce business and I currently have a freebsd with osCommerce running. Now I'm trying to find a payment gateway and merchant provider. I'm looking for something not expensive because I'm just starting.

I've been doing a lot of searching in this web site and found that most people talk about 2checkout.com and cdgcommerce.com when it comes to payment gateway.

These are my questions:

1. I noticed a lot of complaints about 2checkout doing chargebacks. Is not 2checkouts responsibility to make sure that the CC information is accurate by using some kind of anti fraud software?

2. Could it be that those chargebacks occur when the buyer checks his bank statement and sees 2checkout in the statement and not the name of the e-commerse store?

3. What are the advantages of using cdgcommerce.com over 2checkout?

4. Which merchant and payment gateway I should really use?

Thank you in advanced.

I'm not sure about the other site, but I've used 2checkout and I don't recommend them at all. They never paid me when I cancelled my account and were extremely rude and unprofessional- they even ignored my questions and pretended to not receive my e-mail.

Before I cancelled my account, a scammer signed up with me and then told 2checkout that I never set up the hosting account when I did. 2checkout even flagged his order for fraud in the begining and only let the payment through after he sent him his credit card statement. Even then, they just believed his story and refunded him without telling me anything. They didn't apologise for this either.
    Last edited by Lexa; 08-02-2005 at 01:52 PM.

Here dozens, even if not hundreds of story's like this about 2CO - they own me more then $1,000 and never paid (and I don't have even 1 fraudulent order).

Using Worldpay.com for about 2 years - no issues at all, as 3PP worldpay is the best

Originally posted by Lexa
    I'm not sure about the other site, but I've used 2checkout and I don't recommend them at all. They never paid me when I cancelled my account and were extremely rude and unprofessional- they even ignored my questions and pretended to not receive my e-mail.

Before I cancelled my account, a scammer signed up with me and then told 2checkout that I never set up the hosting account when I did. 2checkout even flagged his order for fraud in the begining and only let the payment through after he sent him his credit card statement. Even then, they just believed his story and refunded him without telling me anything. They didn't apologise for this either.

rcrane,

Welcome to WHT.

We've been using merchantplus (who uses the authorize.net gateway) for 6+ months at this point in time and I have not one complaint about the service.

To read the previous review I had posted about their service(s):

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=424729

Wish you the best in finding your payment processor. I would also point out you may wish to look at accepting paypal as well (as many buyers around do use paypal).

-Justin
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog