View Poll Results: Which place should be chosen??

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oklahoma City

3 15.79%
  • St. Louis

10 52.63%
  • The two cities are almost the same

1 5.26%
  • I don't know

5 26.32%

Unhappy Which place should be chosen??

Hi Folks,

Please help me out of a significant, headache decision-making difficulty.

In May I graduated from a university. After applying to many job openings, finally I’ve got two job offers. These two jobs’ positions and salaries are almost the same. One is in St. Louis, Missouri and the other in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

Don’t know much about these two cities and areas. My question is which city and the area is generally better in regard to working and living surroundings? Which one is more suitable for a small business as I also do a web hosting? Right now the web hosting cannot make enough money to me, so I have to get a job. In years to come, if my web hosting can make enough money, I’ll quit job and put all time on web hosting business. Yesterday via Forbes Lists http://www.forbes.com/lists/ , I saw Oklahoma City ranks much higher than St. Louis in regard of starting and doing business, business and living surroundings. But St. Louis is bigger with much more population, with more opportunities?

It’s very hard to finally decide which place to go. The decision will affect many aspects of my life. I’ve been to both cities, looking around. Both places have edges. I feel Oklahoma City is pretty neat, middle-sized, looks like with fewer crimes, and St. Louis is a pretty big urban metro area with more social life and entertainment, but looks like with more crimes.

In the long run, which one I’d better choose?

You guys are experienced and smart, please help me choose one of the two. Have to decide these several days, no more time is left. Urgent advice is needed.

Thank you very much indeed!

talkit

Although neither of those cities appeal to me if I had to choose between the two it would be St. Louis. I prefer big city living so for me I would choose St. Louis. If you like small town living the OK would probably be best. St. Louis is strategically situated so it's easy to get to other places in the south and Midwest.

Thank you Bingo Tide for help!

You mention an important point which I missed that St. Louis has a strategical advantage---easy to access to south and Midwest.

Also, don't forget ... if you say salary is the same in both places you may want to check into cost of living. If one place has an average of $1000.00/mo in rent and the other is $$500.00/mo. that is a significant dip in pay.
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

Thanks KIA-Joe!

I'm also looking at the two links:

http://money.cnn.com/best/bpretire/details/4055000.html

http://money.cnn.com/best/bpretire/details/2965000.html

And links like rent.com, apartments.com show that apartment rental is cheaper in Oklahoma City than in St. Louis.

OKC has less commute time driving to work. Because OKC has lower crime-rate, so I can be more untroubled living in downdown OKC than in downdown St. Louis??

So, OKC is more comfortable than St. Louis? Or no?
    Last edited by talkit; 07-25-2005 at 03:47 PM.

Hi Talkbit, I live in StL so I picked StL. I don't know much about Oklahoma.

imo, You're probabbly better off living in the county than downtown. Cost of living is quite low in Saint Louis. A nice 2 bedroom apartment will cost you $600 - $800 / month.

You may want to look into Small Business Incubators.

Here are some references:

http://www.stlcommercemagazine.com/a...000/cover.html

http://stlouis.missouri.org/sldc/bus...sincubate.html

http://www.stlouisfed.org/publicatio...2-article.html

You'll also find other StL business info. in the links above.
    Sid Shroff
    Senior Enterprise Web Administrator
    IIS, .NET, MS SQL
    SidShroff.com

Hi sid007,

Very glad to see a webhostingtalk friend from StL. Two weeks ago, I went to StL for an interview, and visited StL. I appreciate the Arch and the historic buildings in StL. And I found the more open-minded atmosphere in StL comparing many small towns in Midwest---this is what I like. I also went to North StL and South County and West County, and places like Clayton, University City, Affton, Kirkwood, Maplewood, Hazelwood. North area looks sad and not safe, and generally speaking South and West County look good and safe. These are my initial impressions, maybe wrong. Anyway, I can see more cultural life and entertainment there in StL.

I visited STL recently on a business trip. I loved the environment and the people. It was a very relaxed feeling and everybody that I met was very friendly.

I've known people who live in Oklahoma, and well, they did not like it very much. Just from what I've heard, and what I have seen from STL, I'd have to pick STL.

Originally posted by talkit
    Hi sid007,

Very glad to see a webhostingtalk friend from StL. Two weeks ago, I went to StL for an interview, and visited StL. I appreciate the Arch and the historic buildings in StL. And I found the more open-minded atmosphere in StL comparing many small towns in Midwest---this is what I like. I also went to North StL and South County and West County, and places like Clayton, University City, Affton, Kirkwood, Maplewood, Hazelwood. North area looks sad and not safe, and generally speaking South and West County look good and safe. These are my initial impressions, maybe wrong. Anyway, I can see more cultural life and entertainment there in StL.
    St. Louis is a great place. West County is 'upper scale county' than North & South. Depending on where your job is located you may also want to check out St. Charles; across the river.

If your job is downtown than the commute will be too long.

The night life in StL is great. Everything from the landing to Westport to St. Charles main street

Good Luck!
    Sid Shroff
    Senior Enterprise Web Administrator
    IIS, .NET, MS SQL
    SidShroff.com

Thanks WHW-Justin!

Yes, people in StL are more friendly than those in Oklahoma City. Simply say, StL has a longer history and I feel Stl people are more open-minded. Mark Twain lived around the region, and StL has rich cultural, religious (prominently Catholic) influences. And I feel the early industry spirit still floated by the Mississippi...Budweiser Beer is always cool; Oklahoma City is a 'new frontier' city, with a cowboy spirit. My initial impression is that local government manages OKC firmly and tries hard to run some high-tech businesses. Generally, OKC and the surrounding areas look neat and chaste, and residing with calm is more suitable for working and doing own business?

Thanks sid007!

You're right, StL has rich night life; and OKC has fewer night life. When I was in StL, I talked with several St. Louistians. They told me most StL people born there, grown there and died there, do not want to move, and love StL to their heart. I found StL has many more options for living. And also one more thing I like is Chicago is only 4-hour driving to. More good resources in the area.

My thinking may be wrong, really need your guide please.

I also live in St. Louis and I'd pick it over Oklahoma City any day. The people are pretty nice around here and you can always find something to do. However if I were you I'd be gunning for CA or FL

Thanks RossH!

Yea, I have applied to four job openings in California, and got one instant reject, two holds, and one in silence. I know those four are rejects to me---I even have no interview opportunities! Sigh.

Both jobs are located in downdowns. I need your more guide! Please help please!

i would chose OKC. (for personal reasons)

Good luck Talkit! i wish you much luck!
    g.
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand"
    Marie Von Ebner-Eschenbach

Thanks gina for help!

Good luck gina!

Really want more helpful vote, please help.

Hi sid007, RossH, the job is located in downdown StL, which place(s) near downdown is fine and (more) safe for a living? If living in south county, then "If your job is downtown than the commute will be too long." (sid007) How about the area west of Forest Park? How about Maryland Heights, Maplewood, Clayton, University City? How long driving from Affton or nearby to Downtwon along Hoghway 30, or driving from the I-270 and I-55 Junction place to Downtown?

In respect of Oklahoma City, are there any OK WHTers on the board now? Would you please say something about working/living surroundings in OKC?

Thank you wholeheartedly!

talkit

Hi Talkit,

I live in St. Louis and would strongly reccomend it for a number of reasons. It is more fun and may have more oportunities for a single person just out of University in the I.T. industry. Also if you hope to start or grow your own web hosting business, St. Louis has a lot of advantages. There is a incubator that caters to I.T. companies. (www.stl-tec.org). You could also qualify for $300,000 of state tax credit which a specifically available to web hosting companies in Missouri after August 28th of this year.

As for where to live, I moved to the Soulard areawhen I returned to St. Louis after school. Its just south of downtown (5 minutes tops) and full of interesting people great bars and live blues music. St. Louis is also experiencing a tremendous growth in renovated historic apartment right in downtown its. PM me and I'd be happy to direct you to a could of ideas. Good luck.

Bob