Power VPS dropping the ball?

Hi,

Within the last several months I moved my website from the infamous DINIX aka WebHostPlus (rememeber that fiasco?) to PowerVPS. PowerVPS came highly recommended here...

Well, recently PowerVPS had to migrate my site to another server because the one it was on failed. Downtime a day or so. A few days later my VPS is bogged down so that I cannot log on to my Web Host Manager and the sites are exceedingly slow - so much so they are useless.

I recieved and email saying that it is caused by "another VPS on your node using extreme resources". But the result is that my entire VPS has been unusable all morning.

I am getting a bad feeling about this. Is PowerVPS dropping the ball? Should I bail out while the getting is good?

Re: Power VPS dropping the ball?

Originally posted by rfontaine
    Well, recently PowerVPS had to migrate my site to another server because the one it was on failed. Downtime a day or so. A few days later my VPS is bogged down so that I cannot log on to my Web Host Manager and the sites are exceedingly slow - so much so they are useless.

I recieved and email saying that it is caused by "another VPS on your node using extreme resources". But the result is that my entire VPS has been unusable all morning.
    Seems your not alone with this. PowerVPS forum "The Lounge" has a topic with an almost identical problem.

Ron,

The node you were on did fail, and the outage for customers on this node was about 4 hours by the time the server came back up and was able to fsck the filesystem.

When it returned to normal operation, we started to migrate customers off this box so we can take a closer look at why the RAID10 failed (turned out to be a bad backplane for 2 slots). After around 9 hours of trying to migrate your VPS to a new node (it was operational during this time btw), Charles tried to reach you for your permission to shut the VPS down, do a full backup, and then a full restore on a new node – and that would require downtime to complete. You told him it was fine as the site(s) had nothing critical and could be down a half day if needed, so we proceeded to do this based on your approval. The backup/restore was the only safe method that we felt we could use to get your data migrated since the data was changing so often, even after a full backup an incremental backup immediately after was in the 2G or so range.

Today, the issue was that backups were running on the VE, causing high disk IO as well as another VE hitting the disk IO hard. Unfortunately, disk IO is one of the parts of Virtuozzo that can cause trouble box-wide as processes go into a D state. We can isolate the amount of RAM, cpu resources, sockets, network, etc, between VE's, but disk IO is one of those items which cannot be controlled and if used/abused can cause problems for the entire box.

Per the thread on our forums, and your posting here – you and some other customers were a victim of high disk IO usage on this hwnode. Tony, Charles, and the other folks immediately jumped onto the issue and are still working resolve it/clean up after it, as netrider is seeing some of the same problems on his VE still.

“Stuff happens”, it always does and always will, the technology isn’t perfect. You should judge us or any hosting company for that matter on how they react to problems and resolve issues. That being said, I will assure you of one thing – we always do our best to react and solve problems when they arise. For example, we had 2 hardware nodes go bad this week after not having any major hardware problems for a long time. One was resolved in 4 hours or so, the other in fewer than 2 hours – and they were complete hardware outages of the hardware node or array.

That being said, by all means if you feel we are dropping the ball, it is your hard earned money you are spending each month, if you are not comfortable with our company, service and support, and business relationship, then you should find a host you are comfortable with. While I’d hate to lose your business, I don’t want our relationship to be a negative one by any means.

Thank you TomK for your response. It is well written.

I am trying to get a take on what others may be seeing on PowerVPS.

After the Dinix Disaster I am a bit on the edge, as you may understand. "Once bitten, twice shy" and all that good stuff.

All in all PowerVPS has been a very good company for my VPS. Then suddenly several bad things start happening in quick succession - and I am thinking "Warning!" and started checking up on what others are experiencing. I really don't want to loose half my work again like happened at Dinix / WebHostPlus.

Again, thank you for your reply and for the efforts of your team in working out the problems.

Our time with PowerVPS was very positive. I would recommend sticking with them, as they seem to be handling things rather well, and were top-notch while we used them.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs