Never Fail System recovery.

I have a few clients asking about a supposed "cure all" hardware recovery system. from what I can work out it it some sort of pci controller card that supposedly stops virus's and adware and spyware and crash's. Evidently if a problem occurs you simply reboot and your computer is back to normal. The problem is it doesn't give me any technical specs. I can't figure out how it would work.

Has anybody had any first hand experience with this device, it sounds to good to be true. I cannot recommend it to my clients, if I don't understand it. I contacted the company selling it, however as my knowledge of the chinese language is nil, I was unable to converse with the sales person. Here is the relevent link

source:- http://www.duplexcomputer.com.au/index.html

Doc
    Last edited by TheDoctor; 08-02-2005 at 07:20 AM.
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

While I've never used that one, when in college, tinkering with several frontend PC's in the labs, we ran up across similar cards, and naturally couldn't resist the challange of trying to get past them. Needless to say, the machines had alarm on entry set (thus you couldn't remove the chassis cover, as it had a lock, and an alarm) and the cards used were indeed formidable opponents.

The cards detected stuff added to the boot menu, certain types of content downloaded on the PC, you name it, and would zap the PC back to a clean version right on the next boot with minimal delay (or notice of what was even happening!).

While i'm fairly sure they were of a completely different brand, the concept did indeed work quite well in this case, and IMHO if you were ever setting up a cyber cafe, or public access PC, this would be an absolute *must*.

Why don't you try e-mailing them...?

I think he has. He couldnt understand their sales rep...
    Seeksadmin.com Owner: Providing Security, Administration and Optimization since 2001

Now Offering Windows Serivces.

Originally posted by Tris-SA
    I think he has. He couldnt understand their sales rep...
    I actually rang and spoke to them live via phone. Unfortunately the gentleman had very limited English. He said there was info on the homepage, however if you check there is No real specs. I need to know how it is suppose to work.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

Originally posted by TheDoctor
    I actually rang and spoke to them live via phone. Unfortunately the gentleman had very limited English. He said there was info on the homepage, however if you check there is No real specs. I need to know how it is suppose to work.

Doc
    I'm not 100% positive on this (aka its partially guess work), but I'm getting the feeling from what I recall on the systems I toyed with that you effectively booted the OS on a shadow/jailed filesystem, and while it looked like you had the entire HD, it was somewhat similar to the jailshell format that CPanel/WHM uses. You can look, touch, etc. but nothing you do is 'real' persay, and the second you're done, it can all be wiped out (eg. CPanels jailshell where it does seperate mounts for the jailed environments).

Thats the only method I could use to explain the throughness of the unit (as we're talking 5 years ago, you weren't tossing hundreds of megs on flash back then, much less gigs), and the speed of the unit (nothing could re-image an entire drive in < 2 minutes then, or now for that matter).

Odd, on the one hand they say it does not "back up" to a hidden partition, yet further along they say you must have at least two logical drives in your system.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Originally posted by trau
    Odd, on the one hand they say it does not "back up" to a hidden partition, yet further along they say you must have at least two logical drives in your system.
    Perhaps they use this wording, because its not a "hidden partition" but indeed a hidden drive (which if the second drive is hooked off this PCI controller, could be invulnerable to logical tampering, since all data passed would go through the PCI card, unlike a logical partition)

Yes I have been wondering about that point. They say their system will only work with one drive/partition. They suggest storing all data on the second partion and only have windows and windows related installed programs on primary partition. I fail to see how that would protect you from threats. ??

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

Yes I have been wondering about that point. They say their system will only work with one drive/partition. They suggest storing all data on the second partion and only have windows and windows related installed programs on primary partition. I fail to see how that would protect you from threats. ??

Doc
    Because its going to match the checksums of stuff on the primary partition that its "guarding" to the content on its ghost drive. They probably recommend storing all other data on secondary drives/partitions, because the software may mis-identify stuff. The stuff we had in college would literally wipe out most changes you may when rebooting the PC.

I fail to see how that would protect you from threats. ??

Doc
    It does and it doesn't. It doesn't do a thing to prevent Virii from getting in, it just allows you to go back to a point in time when the system was clean.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Originally posted by porcupine
    The stuff we had in college would literally wipe out most changes you may when rebooting the PC.

Microsoft recently released tools for shared access computers, after reboot the computer reverts to its default condition. Anything you added, any changes you made, all "disappear". Great for Kiosks.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...s/default.mspx

Microsoft recently released tools for shared access computers, after reboot the computer reverts to its default condition. Anything you added, any changes you made, all "disappear". Great for Kiosks.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...s/default.mspx
    That looks very interesting. Do you think it would be suitable for a stand alone computer to help guard against virus, spyware and user mistakes ??

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

That depends. If its a system that needs to be changed often (software added, etc) it might not be worth the hassles. Also users may "rebel" at the thought of not being able to save bookmarks, etc. But if you (or the user) can live with the "lock-down" its a great way to keep your system running.