Photography Web Host

I am a photographer, new to webhosting. I am designing my website and need to chose a host soon.

The website in itself will not take more than a few MB, but I was considering to offer online proofing. Most external online proofing systems are quite expensive, so I was planning to host the online proofing on my site. This would require quite more space (up to 5,000 pics, about 600kb each), around 3-5GB, and probably around 50GB bandwidth. I plan eventually to allow my customers to pay via CC; probably at the beginning I could start with an extarnal service, such as 2checkout.
    I have two questions:

1. Any suggestions for the host to go with and the type (shared or dedicated)?

2. Any suggestions for a software with templates for online proofing and a shopping cart? I have seen many of them, but found none really tailored for online proofing.

Thanks!

Re: Photography Web Host

Originally posted by ASIphoto

1. Any suggestions for the host to go with and the type (shared or dedicated)?

If you're tight on cash and don't anticipate your site to grow quickly plus you have little know-how on server administration then suggest you go for shared.

If you're willing to spend and site traffic would sky-rocket pretty quickly and you know adequately how to admin a server then dedicated would be perfect.

OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

If you only need about 50gb of bandwidth I'd definitely recommend a shared hosting package. Just find the right one for you, do a search here on WHT. Good luck with your search.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php?s= is very useful here.
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Thanks for all the suggestions! I did a few searches and found lots of info.

I understood that since I have to host 3 websites, all with e-commerce, I would be better off with a reseller account. I did a search, but most of them seem to offer multiple domains but a low disk space or bandwidth (like 1GB of disk and 30GB of bandwidth). Could you recommend any reseller plan allowing for more space and bandwidth (like 10GB disk and above 50-100GB bandwidth)?

Thanks again. You all are really helpful!

Hi, ASIphoto

If you have 3 websites you can also pick a host that have extra addon domains. This allows you to have all 3 domain names in 1 control panel.

Good Luck

Thanks Productive.

I have seen that sites5 has addons domain parking, but their offer is not right on target with what I am looking for (not that many feats for ecommerce). They also have a reseller account, which however is quite parsimonious on space.

...Perhaps I am too picky...

Is there any other out there similar to sites5 but stronger on ecommerce?

Thanks again!

Depending on your budget, there are quite a number of businesses that can help you. The real question is how much custom programming you'll need, as that's when the costs start to pile up.

HI, ASIphoto

Have you looked in the offers section yet, I'm sure you can find a company with what you are looking for.

Good Luck

Hm, I get the hunch you might want to look into getting a managed VPS. I know InMotion Hosting offers that from $50/month.
    My own experience with them is OK.
    Or check DreamHost, I have image galleries with them myself.
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Hit up the webhost, most would be happy to come up with a custom plan that suit if you contact them directly.
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

I have seen that sites5 has addons domain parking, but their offer is not right on target with what I am looking for (not that many feats for ecommerce). They also have a reseller account, which however is quite parsimonious on space.

...Perhaps I am too picky...
    If you are in need of ecommerce for each site you'll of course want to be sure you are getting your domains assigned each with a static/dedicated IP to assign a valid ssl certificate to. Alternatively starting out you might just see if your host can assign you the IP's (usually that costs a nominal fee per IP) and create self signed certificates on ssl. In any case wish you luck with your search, just felt i should clarify that for you in case you'd missed thinking about ssl.

-Justin