Need Shoutcast server on a shoestring budget / questions

Greetings,

I'm a noob when it comes to server hosting so forgive my ignorance if some of the following sounds "dumb".

Currently, I ocassionally run a small shoutcast server from my home computer and cable Internet connection. My ISP caps me at 60k/sec upload, and I can only host about 7 users at a time @ 64Kbps stereo quality. My ISP also has monthly bandwidth limits (20GB up/down combined), so I cannot broadcast 24/7.

So now, I'm looking at paying for a dedicated Shoutcast server on a monthly basis. I'd like to start out small, hosting say 10 users @ 64Kbps 24/7.

------------------------------
    So, my questions to you:

1. Bandwidth: How much would I need and what type? e.g, whats the difference between monthly blocks (eg 200GB) vs unmetered?

2. Server space for files: I don't want to stream my mp3s from my PC to a remote Shoutcast server because a) I'd have to keep my PC running 24/7 to do so, and b) this would chew up my monthly bandwidth allotment for my ISP.

So, considering I have 6.96GB of mp3s, I'm assuming I'd need to upload these to the Shoutcast server itself, correct?

3. Licensing/Copyright issues: I'm located in Canada, and best to my knowledge, as of yet we have no equivalent to the American DMCA/RIAA-imposed fees that Americans are required to pay for streaming copyrighted works online (I hope).

That said, althought I am in Canada, if the server itself is located in the US and I upload copyrighted mp3s to it, could this potentially pose a legal problem for me?

4. What type of hosting do I need? VPS, dedicated or shared? Whats the differences between them when it comes to Shoutcast?

5. I'm pretty sure I'd need to run on a linux box - except I don't know jack about linux. If I go with a host, would they setup everything so that all I need to do is dump my mp3s via FTP onto the server, and then provide me with the IP:port/listen.pls link to start broadcasting?

6. Finally, judging from all that info... are there any companies/plans out there that could accomodate this for around $10-$15 CANADIAN funds per month? If not, how much would I be looking at?

---------------------
    Any insights you can provide are most appreciated. Cheers!

mC.

I suspect (quite sure) canadian companies will not turn their heads and look away from any copyright violations, so no matter where you do this, you should make sure you are in compliance with the law, which of course is a given.
    Kevin

madclown,

If you're streaming FROM Canada: Technically by law you can stream to a US server and not be effected.

It's the "source" location that matters. They originally set it up that way so that US users couldn't stream to Canada and be completely safe.

So you still could get a server in the US to stream to and then "out from".

//Let me know if the laws have been modified since then.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

$10-$15 CANADIAN funds per month? If not, how much would I be looking at?
    For a dedicated server, no.

For a reliable cheap dedicated look at theplanet.com they have dedicated server at reasonable prices.

You will be looking at around $100 a month for a cheap server.

4. What type of hosting do I need? VPS, dedicated or shared? Whats the differences between them when it comes to Shoutcast?

5. I'm pretty sure I'd need to run on a linux box - except I don't know jack about linux. If I go with a host, would they setup everything so that all I need to do is dump my mp3s via FTP onto the server, and then provide me with the IP:port/listen.pls link to start broadcasting?

6. Finally, judging from all that info... are there any companies/plans out there that could accomodate this for around $10-$15 CANADIAN funds per month? If not, how much would I be looking at?
    For what you speak I would think a VPS would be fine (probably a lower end at that). Depending on what host you were to chose they may help you set it up however if you are storing copyrighted works on the server they will probably frown upon that (streaming is one thing actually hosting the files being streamed ON the server is another). For a decent VPS you would be looking at probably around anywhere from $20-$50 USD which is just outside your budget by the look of it.

-Justin
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

For your low budget go with a reputable shoutcast provider, such as something from the reviewed section (top) of this list:

http://radiotoolbox.com/hosts/

You'll get better service and uptime running it on one of their machines rather than on a resource strapped VPS account.
    bye

hey, i hosted a shoutcast server from my own computer as well. But my isp provider is dsl and its unlimited bandwith so im fine and i can host many users. I was also have the some problems you were to when i did this b4. Good thing i found some info cus im interested in thsi as well. I foudn some info too, thanks for starting hte topic..