British police start targeting "certain" ethnic groups in searches

British Transport Police have been targeting specific ethnic groups for "intelligence-led" stop-and-searches as part of their heightened security measures.

BTP Chief Constable Ian Johnston said that his officers would not "waste time searching old white ladies".
    http://www.thisislondon.com/news/art...PA%20Feed&ct=5

Any bets the next terrorist attack will be delivered by an old white lady now?

^ Exactly.

It's only Muslim extremists that are the problem...Search little old ladies as much as you want, I doubt they'd find a bomb.

Pro: It is more efficient, it is common-sense, and it is not abuse if done politely, just some search.

Con: Racial profiling: Heard a lot that it is bad but dont' know why!

Wow....I'm just amazed to find these kinds of views here that it is okay to start punishing one race/ethnicity for a few actions and yet people here are for it.

To be honest I have seen more tolerance for racist attitudes from Brits here then anything I would have expected.

I do agree that it does make sense but if we did this in American after 9/11 we would be called racists around the world, I guess we have a double standard here that I'm bitter about...

Originally posted by RossH
    Wow....I'm just amazed to find these kinds of views here that it is okay to start punishing one race/ethnicity for a few actions and yet people here are for it.
    I don't like this kind of profiling anymore than you do, but let's be honest, it's a sad reality in the fight against terrorism.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

It may not be the "right" thing to do, but give the people the chance to vote on racial profiling and I bet it'd pass.

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    I don't like this kind of profiling anymore than you do, but let's be honest, it's a sad reality in the fight against terrorism.
    We will fight terrorism so much by the time we are done we will have no rights left.

Originally posted by MStar
    It may not be the "right" thing to do, but give the people the chance to vote on racial profiling and I bet it'd pass.
    Yes and in Germany at one time it was okay to kill jews....

My point being that some time the majority is not right.

We will fight terrorism so much by the time we are done we will have no rights left.
    Yeeeeeaaaaaaaapppp, I hear ya.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

I do agree that it does make sense but if we did this in American after 9/11 we would be called racists around the world, I guess we have a double standard here that I'm bitter about...

you might be right about the "we would be called..." problem, but only if we remain alive to "be called" anything...

Originally posted by serverun
    you might be right about the "we would be called..." problem, but only if we remain alive to "be called" anything...
    Yes the terrorists are just going to kill us all....ahh....help!!!!

Seriously where do people get this fear from, I sure don't have it. I'm going to live my life and if some terrorist decides to bomb the bus I'm on then it is going to happen no matter how many security measures we put into place....

Ross... did a white man commit the September 11th or July 7th atrocities? If so, then target white people. The problem is that white people didn't commit them – We're living in bad times, and with people being able to move freely and easily between countries, we cannot take chances.

After September 11th, police stopped and searched more Asian looking people than before, they were called racists, etc. - But the government, thankfully, didn't kowtow to their demands. One minister rightly said they should expect it.

I don't necessarily think it's good... don't get me wrong here... but we're not living in 2000 where there wasn't such a threat from Muslim extremists. The world has changed dramatically since September 11th – As Tony Blair said, it was a rude awakening.

All the terrorist attacks have been by muslim extremists.

Notice the pattern there: Muslim extremists.

It's pretty safe to say that muslim extremists look pretty similar. Sure, there are white/black muslims living in Britain - but most extremists originate from asia/middle east. So it's a pretty safe bet to assume that a white little old lady isn't a muslim extremist.

It's doing the public a favour by not hassling everyone. Only potential suspects. It's wasting police and the publics time by searching people who they are pretty sure aren't bombers.

If a naked guy was walking through the london underground. Is there any point stopping and searching him? No, of course not. Where would he put a bomb (of significant size )

Originally posted by A. Paige
    Ross... did a white man commit the September 11th or July 7th atrocities? If so, then target white people. The problem is that white people didn't commit them – We're living in bad times, and with people being able to move freely and easily between countries, we cannot take chances.

After September 11th, police stopped and searched more Asian looking people than before, they were called racists, etc. - But the government, thankfully, didn't kowtow to their demands. One minister rightly said they should expect it.

I don't necessarily think it's good... don't get me wrong here... but we're not living in 2000 where there wasn't such a threat from Muslim extremists. The world has changed dramatically since September 11th – As Tony Blair said, it was a rude awakening.
    What about April 19th 1995....wait that date probably doesn't ring in your head so I'll remind you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City_bombing

Should white men been subjected to searches after that? When should have they stopped searching white men, should it still be going on now?

Actually the government did bow down to demands to racial profileing and still do today, it is illegal for police/TSA to discriminate/search based on race.
    Last edited by RossH; 08-02-2005 at 06:37 AM.

What about April 19th 1995....wait that date probably doesn't ring in your head so I'll remind you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City_bombing

Should white mine been subjected to searches after that? When should have they stopped searching white men, should it still be going on now?

Actually the government did bow down to demands to racial profileing and still do today, it is illegal for police/TSA to discriminate/search based on race.

That was one guy not a group. And if it where a group, sure go look for white guy.

If you are looking for something look where your best chances of finding are.

If you went to the store looking for some ham, you wouldnt start in the bakery would you? It would be a waste of time. Same thing here. And sure you might find some ham in somebody else cart in the bakery..... but you need to put the odds in your favor.

Originally posted by 2Guns
    That was one guy not a group. And if it where a group, sure go look for white guy.

If you are looking for something look where your best chances of finding are.

If you went to the store looking for some ham, you would start in the bakery would you? It would be a waste of time. Same thing here. And sure you might find some ham in somebody else cart in the bakery..... but you need to put the odds in your favor.
    And when do these searches of white men stop, today, tomorrow, next year, the next decade, the next decade how far should we go to curb "terrorism"....

i dont think you can equate searching asian males aged between 16 and 35 to 'being ok to kill jews'. take a look at the 8 uk bombers so far, and the other suicide bombers around the world - id argue that its a statistical probability that your bomber will come from a certain demographic. with any probabilities its just that - probable. not definite, not certain, just probable. why search 80 year old women, 13 year old girls, 40 year old builders or similar? why waste resources in the name of 'equal opportunities'?

Ross, if you class this as racist, then it just shows what a sad World we live in. Everything these days is classed as racist, or raises health and safety issues, or has to be politically correct, it really is sad in my opinion.

If whites were to be searched, I certainly wouldn't class it as racist, I admit, I would want to know why the other ethnic groups are not been searched, but that is not because I feel it is racist, it is because it just doesn't make sense, it doesn't take any extra resources to search all ethnic groups, so why not have the authority to search everybody, and make Britain even safer, surely by searching all ethnic groups it is going to make Britain safer than searching just one ethnic group.

To be honest I have seen more tolerance for racist attitudes from Brits here then anything I would have expected.
    Please correct me if I took this the wrong way, but it seems to me you are saying all Brits are racist, or certainly more racist than you expected, I don't like people calling me racist, just like I am sure you don't. I live in a very multi-cultural area, close to one the highest concentrations of Muslims in Britain, I am certainly not racist, I admit, some Muslim people are total idiots and I would love to go stick a tazer in to them, but so are some white people, and I would love to do the same to them.

I am not saying it is right to just target Muslims, it isn't, the police should be searching everybody if they feel the need to, but it certainly isn't racist in my opinion, just yet another stupid decision on the part of our shocking government.
    - Jamie Harrop

Equentity - Jamie: Do you live in Luton by any chance? It's very multicultural here

but it seems to me you are saying all Brits are racist
    That's pretty much what I got from it too. Which would make Ross racist by generalising about British people like that.

And when do these searches of white men stop, today, tomorrow, next year, the next decade, the next decade how far should we go to curb "terrorism"....
    When the bombings stop. And dont take me for a fool, I realize that there never is an end. However actually catching people and then locking them up will go a long way towards detering future acts.

And lets face some reality here, whats the alternative. Wait for stuff to blowup? I guess we could just pretend it didnt happen, that could work.............

And what about putting the shoe on the other foot? If you where in charge of finding the "terrorists" what would you do? Go to Florida and look under some blue hairs beds? I doubt it. If you have any smarts at all your going to look in the Muslim communitys first.

Is it fair? Nope. But unless you have a better idea its the only thing that makes any sence.

Equentity - Jamie: Do you live in Luton by any chance? It's very multicultural here
    I live in Halifax, mouldy_punk, where a lot of the BNP decide to sit themselves, and quite close to Bradford.
    - Jamie Harrop

I live in S.London, and regularly commute through the areas where the bombs went off. The police presence at many of the major stations is amazing. Literally 20-30 officers including several armed officers throughout the station with dogs sniffing for any explosives.
    I (despite being white) had to put my rucksack on the ground for the dog to sniff properly.

I totally agree with searching according to demographics. I think it's a great idea to search young people who are wearing either
    a) A rucksack
    or
    b) Large clothing.

Or who are acting suspiciously

It took less than 1 minute of my time for the dog to sniff my rucksack, I still caught the same tube train that I would normally, and so got my transfer at the other end. What is the big deal?

I'm glad that they're searching people, I'm on the tube quite a lot during an average week, and I'd rather be delayed 30 seconds every time, than be on a tube that gets bombed!

In this thread there are some realllly ****** replies...

I mean racial profiling WILL not help in any way...

Now what are the chances that a man with a beared to his chest and wearing a while Jilbab blowing up a subway...

If someone wants to go blow up something, he will try to get mixed in as much as they can and avoid attention whatsoever..

They way you look or dress should'nt be a factor... As a matter of fact, cops and undercover agents take that into consideration..

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

In this thread there are some realllly ****** replies...
    Care to share who's replies you think are so wrong? We all have our views azizny, and therefore one reply may be totally viable for one person, whereas another person, it wouldn't, but don't go spewing out profanity about somebodies post, just because they don't agree with your views.
    - Jamie Harrop

Arrow

Originally posted by Equentity - Jamie
    Care to share who's replies you think are so wrong? We all have our views azizny, and therefore one reply may be totally viable for one person, whereas another person, it wouldn't, but don't go spewing out profanity about somebodies post, just because they don't agree with your views.
    Calling for racial profiling is a stupid and ignorant view..

Would you call Hilter a "view"?

Would you call KKK a "view"?

Would you call Alqida a "view"?

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

azizny,

Obviously you aren't privvy to the facts, I believe that the majority (if not all) of the bombers in London were clean shaven, as is the official preparation for fighting in a jihad.

It's not a case of "You're arabic, lets shoot you" at all, its just using demographics which have been consistent

The same way that there are CSOs standing guard outside of the mosques in London preventing anyone who is acting suspiciously from hanging around the area, and asking certain demographics (i.e. young white males who are going in wearing casual clothing) for ID before allowing them to enter, or in some cases searching them. Yet you don't hear me complaining...
    IF I wanted to go into a mosque, and they wanted to search me, then I would be more than happy to comply, the same way that the vast majority of the arabic communities are HAPPY that he police are actually searching people and are trying to prevent the same thing from happening again.

As for your last post, since when are the police killing and torturing random people because of their race? THEY ARE NOT.

Hitler put thousands of Jews, Gypsies and other minorities to death because of their demographic.
    The KKK did the same but to black people
    As for Al qaeda, they murder, torture, rape, steal, persecute, and restrict the rights of many demographics.

How are the police doing this? They are simply using information gathered from the previous attacks and attempted attacks to prevent future instances from occurring.
    Last edited by Joseph_M; 08-02-2005 at 12:13 PM.

It's really just profiling. The racial modifier is added by leftists and liberals seeking to undermine the efficacy of the process in the name of civil rights- the same ilk that refer to terrorists as “jihadists, freedom fighters and insurgents. Our extensive civil liberties by the way are secondary to eradicating this threat- just think of it as a “virtual” martial law. And the "what will we have left and the cure is worse than the disease blah blah blah" is empty rhetoric; absolute freedom unto itself and unchecked is just as detrimental as its absence- that’s why we have social constructs and laws and have had them for some time. The fact is, that profiling is a valid means of compartmentalizing and identifying unknown entities- Our FBI has elevated profiling to a science with great success- race is merely a profile component. The bottom line is get over it, we'll use profiling to identify and prevent anyone from committing terrorism to the full extent of our abilities. Everyone gets searched, a few just get a more thorough version visited upon them… If you don't like it, too bad but look at the bright side, you're now part of a minority opinion profile….