Thread: Cluster or not?

Cluster or not?

Hi folks!
    We have one server. SAGONET.
    Probably we want take other server in other DC.
    So. It's possible to clustering them? Even if they in diffrent DC?
    It's possible tou use same NS-records for both server?
    MAIN QUESTION! It's will be more slowly, that 2 diffrent not clustering server's? If one server down, other will work?
    Thanks!

Please somebody answer!!!

You're question is a very difficult one to answer.

A cluster solution would be nice to have, but the amount of money it would take to do it properly is a lot more than you are thinking of.

You can not simple get two servers, install a quick piece of software, and have a true clustering solution. It is also even more difficult to do it between two datacenters.

Try this for a LOT more information: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php?s=
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Re: Cluster or not?

Originally posted by holyway
    Hi folks!
    We have one server. SAGONET.
    Probably we want take other server in other DC.
    So. It's possible to clustering them? Even if they in diffrent DC?
    It's possible tou use same NS-records for both server?
    MAIN QUESTION! It's will be more slowly, that 2 diffrent not clustering server's? If one server down, other will work?
    Thanks!
    if this is a shared hosting server (ie you do not control the applications running), it is very hard (keeping data consistent across the wan is non-trivial). if any of those use mysql, you are dead in the water.

short answer: most likely no. if the answer were yes, you would not be able to afford it (cf choice of sago as a provider).

-p
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

You can cluster between two different data centers (assuming you would want to "combine" or harness the power of both the servers). but it would have latency of communicating data between the networks.

If you would like to like have backups, so that if one server dies the other pops up or have some form of a load-balancing, then all you need is a geographical switch, something like F5 Networks 3DNS Switch (roughly a used one will run you about $1200-2000). That will very easily do what you are asking for. It will be able to load balance or geographically balance, based on an IP address.

See this link for more application usages of a 3DNS Switch:
    http://www.f5networks.com/f5products...atedMaterials/
    "I drink too much. The last time I gave a urine sample it had an olive in it. ".
    Rodney Dangerfield (from "I Get No Respect!").

And when the network that F5 is on goes down so does your whole operation
    Mike from Zoodia.com

you can have a HA configuration of F5 in two different data centers!
    "I drink too much. The last time I gave a urine sample it had an olive in it. ".
    Rodney Dangerfield (from "I Get No Respect!").

Now we're talking about $2400-$4000 just for the load balancers, and we still haven't gotten to clustering

This topic comes up here every so often at WHT and it always ends up being a:

If you're asking on WHT for how to do it, you most likely can't afford it

type of thread.
    Mike from Zoodia.com

Originally posted by Babushka99
    you can have a HA configuration of F5 in two different data centers!
    err, this isn't the hard part. now try to guarantee data consistency. what? you can't (outside the parameters i specified)? oh.

-p
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

Holyway, provide us with more information and we might be able to help you out. Round robin may even be a viable solution in this scenario, who knows?

Originally posted by shockuk
    Holyway, provide us with more information and we might be able to help you out. Round robin may even be a viable solution in this scenario, who knows?
    Well we planning take next server. So I think what to do with second server? Just take and setup new NS-records? In this way I cannot made windows for login gor my customer

Holyway ... I think nobody will understand your last post. Please rewrite it in english !
    :: Martin Leclair
    :: Linkedin Profile

maybe talk to a sagonet rep i think a cluster could help a server thats getting swamped, they prolly wont charge you for the local bandwidth between servers and it could be something you could turn on and off
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.