Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by P-nut
    After I'd been a teller for about 6 months I learned how to determine the correct amount of change without looking at my screen
    You mean you learned to count?

Originally posted by -T{H}R-
    You mean you learned to count?
    Hey, having to change out a transaction isn't as easy as it sounds when you're pressed to keep your line moving and your cash drawer perfectly balanced - trust me
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

lol man when i was at burger king they made sure you knew when you where short in your drawer even if it was rare or a couple pennies to dollars

crazy companies man oh and yea we never counted cause you where always told to hussle hussle hussle
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Originally posted by trau
    That's because the people in most stores don't know how to count change back. They push buttons on the register and give back what the register says. Just recently I was in line at Dunkin Donuts when the guy in front paid with a $20. The cashier hit 200 by mistake and when ringing up the amount tendered. I'll give her credit that she realized the man wasn't due 190+ dollars in change, but she couldn't figure out how much to give him. She called the manager, the manager couldn't figure it out either and excused herself while she went to the office to use the calculator to figure out the change.
    Now that is funny. If you work with a cash register every day you should be able to figure it out in your head as fast as you can punch in the numbers on the register , that manager person should really be looking for another line of work.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN sales@ceridius.com
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

Yeah, I can understand that - have never worked with money like that before, I was only kidding

I work at Wal-Mart, and I was trained to double count the money. I noticed some of my co-workers look at the screen when getting change back...I'm in Advanced Algebra (Algebra, Geometry, Adv. Algebra..thats the way it goes in our school)... and I mean...holy cow. It's just adding and subtracting. Sometimes if I do weird amounts, I'll look, but I mean...jesus.

Some lady hit $200.00 instead of $20.00 at my store, and she comes up to me and goes "how much change do I give them if I hit $200 instead of $20." "Well, uhm...what's $20.00 minus $19.68?"

Not that hard!

It's all a matter of convenience and speed. Now a days, cashiers are timed for getting through their sales quicker, and get bonuses for it.

The quicker they get turnover in their line, the more sales, the more bonuses.

I love it when I go up to a register, get $7.67 in sales and I hand a cashier $12.77. They don't know WHAT to do, cause they can't get their brain wrapped around the fact that I'm trying to eliminate coinage and paper (I'd get $5.10 back). I have to tell them to put in the amount that I gave them and watch what comes back... once they see what's coming back, they FINALLY get a clue and realize what I'm talking about.

I was a cashier for over 7 years and always helped people eliminate change, if they needed it (which is quite often in the travelling industry).
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

I've also noticed this trend, and it's probably due not only to all the new technology that makes change-giving easier, but also to the growing demand of "fast, fast, FAST!" Americans are just so obsessed with doing things quickly and getting to their destination quicker that counting out the change just seems to be too arduous a process for those cashiers.

However, the tellers at the bank -- both inside and at the drive-through -- still count out your notes, and carefully at that. Usually, though, it's in 20s, so they don't have to do any accumulation other than in fifths of one hundred, which makes it easy.

Originally posted by adb22791
    hah, at the McDonalds in my area, change is dispensed from machines infront of the cash register. The employees just push buttons!
    That's the case at many retail stores now. It makes sense, instead of having to rely on, as P-Nut put it, "puny human minds" to do the counting.

The reason for this is simple: computers. I've noticed it too, and I think that most employer's just don't care anymore if their employees know how to count change back or not. That's also why they're stuck in that job in the first place....

anyone here ever had to redo tranactions i had to redo some at target cause they paid with check and i pushed cash so i just entered the total as non-tax merchandie instead and voided the recipt giving them the one with the product
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Originally posted by WHW-Justin
    It's even better when you give them change with your total to make sure you get whole dollar amounts back, and they look at you with this confused look and can't figure out exactly what you're trying to do. Then you spend a good minute explaining to them exactly what it is you're trying to do. What ever happened to basic mathematical skills?
    It's not at ALL uncommon to either get too little change back (so I complain) or too much change back (so I smile and walk away). You may say that's stealing, I say it's not MY job to teach them how to make change, I won't go out of my way to screw someone over but I'll stand there and smile while they screw themselves all day long.

Just go to most any fast food place, get a bill for say "5.38" hand the cashier a $20 bill a dime, and 3 pennies. Watch the fun. It's worth the hassles of waiting on them to figure it out just to see how flabbergasted they can get.

And before you bash me, I worked all through high school at Burger King, I KNEW how to make change.

Funny story:

When I worked there they had a policy, girls only on the registers. And another policy "if your drawer came up EXACT and you worked more than 2 hours on the register, you got a -free meal-" free meal is a sandwich, side, and drink. On average they gave away MAYBE 2 free meals a month.

Well me and some other of the boys, couple high schoolers, one 19 year old who was out of school/married/kid on the way pitched a FIT about not being able to work registers, your raises were determined by # of stations you were proficient at. Registers were a total of 4 or 5 of the stores POSSIBLE 16 or 17 stations! So if you never worked "the front" you were screwed out of EVER making the highest level pay scale! So we threatened labor board complaints, lawsuits (yeah right) and so, they let us up front.

First day I ran register, my manager pulled a "mini tape" 3 key strokes and it prints a 1 line print showing how much total money should be in your register. So... being a computer nerd, I saw how to do the tape, easily, I kept up with pulls (since if you have more than a few 20's or 50's they'd "pull them" and make a note in the back) and then about 5-10 minutes before my shift was up, I'd "pull a mini tape" discretely count my register, add the pulls in and make up the difference so I was exact. It was usually close but no free meal until I made up the difference.

I taught one other how to do it, Jimmy, the 19 year old with a kid coming, I figured he needed some free meals more than anyone.

Jimmy and I ate free SEVERAL times over the next couple of weeks, I mean several, 3 or 4 each per WEEK hahaha.

They quit giving free meals for perfect registers, and I don't think I ever had another perfect register after that either Why the women never thought of just pulling a tape, counting their cash, and making up the diff I'll never understand.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

well i dont know about you but where i live, they hand you the cash first, then the change after, usually anyway.
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

Originally posted by Dixiesys
    Just go to most any fast food place, get a bill for say "5.38" hand the cashier a $20 bill a dime, and 3 pennies. Watch the fun. It's worth the hassles of waiting on them to figure it out just to see how flabbergasted they can get.
    $14.75 back, right?

Originally posted by Dixiesys
    Funny story:

When I worked there they had a policy, girls only on the registers. And another policy "if your drawer came up EXACT and you worked more than 2 hours on the register, you got a -free meal-" free meal is a sandwich, side, and drink. On average they gave away MAYBE 2 free meals a month.

Well me and some other of the boys, couple high schoolers, one 19 year old who was out of school/married/kid on the way pitched a FIT about not being able to work registers, your raises were determined by # of stations you were proficient at. Registers were a total of 4 or 5 of the stores POSSIBLE 16 or 17 stations! So if you never worked "the front" you were screwed out of EVER making the highest level pay scale! So we threatened labor board complaints, lawsuits (yeah right) and so, they let us up front.

First day I ran register, my manager pulled a "mini tape" 3 key strokes and it prints a 1 line print showing how much total money should be in your register. So... being a computer nerd, I saw how to do the tape, easily, I kept up with pulls (since if you have more than a few 20's or 50's they'd "pull them" and make a note in the back) and then about 5-10 minutes before my shift was up, I'd "pull a mini tape" discretely count my register, add the pulls in and make up the difference so I was exact. It was usually close but no free meal until I made up the difference.

I taught one other how to do it, Jimmy, the 19 year old with a kid coming, I figured he needed some free meals more than anyone.

Jimmy and I ate free SEVERAL times over the next couple of weeks, I mean several, 3 or 4 each per WEEK hahaha.

They quit giving free meals for perfect registers, and I don't think I ever had another perfect register after that either Why the women never thought of just pulling a tape, counting their cash, and making up the diff I'll never understand.
    Sounds like you knew how to work the system.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12