My "LayeredTech really dropped the ball on this one"

Well,seems that is my turn to post:"LayeredTech really dropped the ball on this one".

Asked for an OS reload a few days ago.
    24 hours later finally i have the OS reload.More or less everything ok.
    I say more or less because i got some sort of downgrade at Plesk license.
    I thought ,ok,no big thing,so we started to setup the dns,install a ssl cert,....usuall stuff.
    After a few hours we start to migrate a crapload of domains from a backup server.
    Everything was ok.
    8 hours later,SURPRISE:i got Alertra all mad,...Device Down.
    Server unreachable.
    Reason?
    Simple:A goofy from LT just erased everything,and,armed with patience and a cup of coffe was performing an unrequired OS reload.

QUOTE:
    "Apparantly the tech did not know that Jeremy had fixed the issue and did an OS reload even though an OS reload wasn't not required to fix the problem"

JEREMY

Please start to talk with your techs.Please

Also,please note,that sometimes,and i say sometimes , it might be a bad ideea to wipe all data from a server,just because you have problems to comunicate with your techs.
    I really want to think that it was one of your (lt) already regular mistakes due to the fact that you have tons of OS reload requests and not because you hire cimpmonkeys

Sorry for your problems.

Jeremy is great guy! And I am sure he will do anything to help u out.

N.

I know Jeremy is a great guy.

do they even bother to read what their pervious tech did? i really think they need to overhual the entire support system. i post some tech support question and have at least two tech answered the email with different answers

Isnt it possible that the previous tech didn't tell anyone he finished it, making layered think that the job was never done?

It is pretty easy for that kind of mistake to happen, but its unfortunate that you had to experience it. **** happens

Originally posted by 2uantuM
    Isnt it possible that the previous tech didn't tell anyone he finished it, making layered think that the job was never done?

It is pretty easy for that kind of mistake to happen, but its unfortunate that you had to experience it. **** happens

**** happens way to often thesedays
    And i really dont care about why or when did they had misscommunication problems.
    Thing is that it was dumb and made me to loose time .Cant afford to play "server switch" every few hours.The OS reload was asked not because we goofed something on that server,but because it was a bad setup from the start.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alertra report

2005-07-30 Sat 1 4 hrs, 32 mins, 50 secs 35.516%
    2005-07-31 Sun 0 11 hrs, 38 mins, 9 secs 51.517%

pretty neat,eh?

Well when you think they are a proffesional company... they cant afford to make these mistakes
    Seeksadmin.com Owner: Providing Security, Administration and Optimization since 2001

Now Offering Windows Serivces.

Webfactor, very unfortunate to have this happen to you.

Well, look like another human error at LT side again.
    Linux System admin (since 2001)
    * cPanel/WHM, Directadmin, Apache, DNS, PHP, HyperVM, Lxadmin, Openvz*

Everyone makes mistakes. Next time I think you should make your post a little more professional and leave the rude comments out. As a admin I would be less happy to deal with a person who down talks me and make me sound like a idiot over something small as a wrongful OS reload. Be nice, you dont know when you mihgt need them again

Originally posted by levidjkt
    .......................make me sound like a idiot over something small as a wrongful OS reload. Be nice, you dont know when you mihgt need them again
    IF a quick wipe of your server is something little,can you please tell me what do you understand by big?
    And please ,instead jumping all over me,reconsider your scale of damages.
    I assume that your clients are all happy when you do such a good move
    Last edited by Webfactor; 08-02-2005 at 11:07 AM.

It was a wipe of his server that was just wiped. Its not like it was a fully functioning server being wiped

Re: My "LayeredTech really dropped the ball on this one"

@ 2uantuM

Here is a quote from my initial post

Originally posted by Webfactor
    I thought ,ok,no big thing,so we started to setup the dns,install a ssl cert,....usuall stuff.
    After a few hours we start to migrate a crapload of domains from a backup server.
    Everything was ok.
    8 hours later,SURPRISE:i got Alertra all mad,...Device Down.
    At the time of the second wipe the server was fully functional.
    We choosed the initial OS reload during the weekend because on that server were hosted a few domains where a dns change at TLD is taking a min 24 hours.
    Second wipe hit us monday morning at 9.30 am (clients timezone).
    It's hard to explain to a comapny who is using 100 + email boxes and a lot of webforms why the site is down and why you didnt respected the agreed downtime(weekend)
    And is harder when for hours nobody can tell you wasup.
    Just my 2 cents

Bottom line is, this comes down to poor internal communication. This is a huge problem at many data centers, and until the people running the facilities open their eyes and see the problem, and start beating on people with large sticks, nothing will change.

I mean this in jest of course but the fact is that techs are a lazy bunch... they will not lift a finger to type a single extra letter unless they have an extremely good reason to. Many of them have a hard enough time just typing adequately complete responses in tickets -- and many are completely incapable of doing even that. Yet for some reason these people are still allowed to come in day after day and collect a paycheck.

Communication is key in this industry, and any data center that doesn't recognize and embrace that, is not just piling up completely needless costs of doing business (because many expensive labor-intensive "mistakes" will be made) but they are also actively eroding their credibility and reputation with their customers.

(And for every tech who sputters about how "I don't have time to type all that," I suggest that your co-workers would be bored for most of their day if they weren't re-doing everything that had already been done but nobody knew about! The inefficiency introduced by just a couple of non-communicative techs is huge.)

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

...and as many of my friends are techs, as am I, I do truly mean my commentary in as loving a way as possible!

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.