Don't pick free hosts

I am warning you now to not pick free hosts. If you do, unless its a big hosting company giving trials, the companies shut down really fast. As soon as you start ur site up the host will be gone and u will no backup and all ur work will have gone to nothing. So if you pick a free host even though I don't recommend it, backup ur site very often.

Well... if you have a free site, then you never know when it will go down but its not that big of a deal since you don't pay for it. There are tons of free hosts out there.
    Phlint! Web Media [http://phlint.com]
    [email protected]

You should back up your site anyway. Free hosting is okay as long as the website also does paid hosting. That way you know that it will be getting a profit so won't go down so much!

Actually, there are many free hosts, which are by far better than some paid "companies", especially those offering large allocations for a few cents.
    UPHosted: Reliable Linux Web Hosting
    24x7 Customer Support
    99,9% Uptime Guaranteed

Yahoo always seems to have uptime with no downtime. I have never saw them down or offline.

You forgot to consider that Yahoo's a multi-billion dollar company and has a bag of money to throw at you. =P

Yes basicly like like Karolis said,

WE have few servers and whne we start a new Server we offer free Forum Hosting, so basicly they are BETA test, thne we close the free Hosting but they stay Free For Ever. (But others are Paying)

We have Free Forum Hosting Server Too, but we add sometime Google Ads (SO we get revenue still, but sometime just to pay the Cost of teh Amount, but some of the forum after they grow too much then they dont want ads and pay small fee, At least if is noone just Playing to be a Hoster. Free wont be an ISUE.

i used to do free hosting but for ads its not worth it
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

You cannot stero type all free hosts. Im sure there are alot of people that have had pleasant expierences with alot of free hosts.

There are some that just buy the 100gb reseller for $5 and pile everyone on there. They are the ones you need to look out for, but as one of the members here said. Your not paying anything so dont expect top level service or support if your site does go down.

Web dev habbits

Hi all,

Just wanted to say, that when working on a website, you
    should allways work with a local copy. I don't understand
    people that will edit a file, ftp it, and check their site to
    see if they like the change. This process would drive me
    CRAZY. So work locally, on your pc, this way you don't
    drive yourself nutz, and you allways have a backup.

Frank

If you don't backup your data, you deserve to lose it. That's my opinion when I hear ppl whine that they lost all their data when the host shut down or the server crashed.

Even if it's not CURRENT, better then nothing. Also backup based on your updating. If you're site is only lupdated once every few weeks, not important to do it every day/week.

The other thing, as was pointed out by Frank, never work off the website, work off a local copy and upload it. True this won't help with anydatabase data (like forums), but it's easy enough to do backups of a db on a regular basis.

Point is, if you lose all your data because a free host or any host goes down or has problems, it's 100% YOUR FAULT! Even if the host states they do backups, doesn't mean that it will always work. I saw a server go south recently for a host I do partime helpdesk for go bad slowly and in the middle of doing it's backups...guess what? Half the backups from the server were no good and never a hint till they tried to install them. As teh saying goes, crap happens and in the end it's the site owners responsibility to make sure they have local backups if it's important to them.

I personally dont use a freehost...You should make backups often anyhow, And alot of people use freehosts for things like clan sites, That may not be up for long.

Some of internet users using freehosts. But they are very dangerous for longlife plans.

yea i learned that these free hosts shut down pretty fast as well. guess you always have to dish out a little amount of money. im looking for some hosting as well . i probably will get a cheap one if i can find one..

Not all free hosts are profitless and as volatile.
    Many earn money through ads and clickthru' schemes. The revenue through these can cover the costs and more..

Jord

Oviously they may shut down if they dont have enough funding to cover the costs they use after all they are giving free hosting. and how does that saying go "you get what you pay for" thanx for the heads up tho

Well it's free. You don't pay for it. What are you complaining about?
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Well it's free. You don't pay for it. What are you complaining about?
    If you give me a free burger and it turns out it's rotten, I will complain about it. Same with hosting. Now, since it's free burger I won't expect it to be tasty, but it should at least be eatable.

Also, if the free hosting is "Ad supported", then it's not actually free.

I will react differently. If you give me something free, and it's a dud, I will walk away and won't try it again.
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |

If you give me something free, and it's a dud, I will walk away and won't try it again.
    So you won't warn others to stay away from that provider?

I don't subscribe to the idea of simply saying "free hosts are bad", but I would definitely welcome feedback on a free host, be it positive or negative.

Well. This post doesn't seem like a feedback to me. Well if people ask me about it, sure, I will give my feedback. But I won't go out of the way to slime them because I didn't pay a cent in the first place.

I also don't agree with the thread starter.