Mysql Bandwidth - Database Bandwidth

I believe database traffic is the most dangerous one for web hosting companies because it can create an unbelievable trafffic in minutes/hours.

For ex: If a user adds an mp3 file in a "blob" area of mysql and sends the address to the mp3-download sites then you have gb's of transfers in minutes. Or an imagebank site can keep all the data in "blob" fields and you can only measure the html traffic not the images.

In our situation we spend more than twice the traffic that we can measure because of mysql, just a guess as we can't measure it.

How everyone copes with this situation? How do you measure mysql bandwidth?

If you can't measure it then what do you do as a precaution?

Note: Our OS is Windows 2000.

i am never hear aout special tools for this case, but you may use phpmyadmin for checking how many traffic you have (mysql server statistics) or mysqladmin extended status.
    Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR, AS51168

Block external access to your mysql server, forcing everything to go though your own web server where you can measure the traffic quite easily, as well as implement access control.

Raw mysql connections isn't something you want directly on the internet anyways.
    We do co-location and system management in Stockholm, Sweden. Unfortunately we cannot host you, but i'm sure you'll be ok.

Remember, the best backup in the world is the one you make yourself.

If push came to shove you could measure the bandwidth via an iptables account rule on port 3306. But the easier way would be to block external access to mysql as has been suggested. - VPS Hosting and Dedicated Server Hosting since 2003 - Peace of Mind Web Site Monitoring