Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's a good WHT reputation worth...really??

I should preface this thread by saying that I am very grateful to WHT. I started my main site 3 years ago and launched it on WHT. Its initial success was very much based on the response I received on this board. And for that I am eternally grateful. It puts food on my family's table, and for that I am very appreciative.

Over time, the site took on a life of its own, and now, the % of new clients I get, for the most part, do not come from WHT. They come from the "rest of the Internet".

There are a few businesses that I can think of that were born here, and very quickly grew to great proportions in this very community. However, it's important to acknowledge that there is a great big ol' world out there outside of WHT. To be perfectly frank, WHT is but a mere blip in the overall web hosting world. Yes, it is the largest web hosting discussion forum in the whole world. But the members here encompass a very small fraction of the entire web hosting industry.

So keeping this perspective in mind, how important do you feel your WHT reputation is to your overall business' success?

Let me also make one more point. I know a couple of owners whose hosting businesses have a pretty "ratty" rep here. They get slammed at every opportunity. Yet, outside of WHT, their businesses are flourishing. If you based your opinion on just the WHT threads, you'd swear they were destined for the gutter. Yet, they're growing at 20-50% per year.

So it appears to be a bit of a paradoxical situation. A good WHT rep can reap many financial rewards. Yet a bad WHT rep doesn't necessarily mean you're doomed for failure.

Your thoughts?

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

If you're a bad a provider you can always play the Greed card and sucker people in looking to save money with low low prices. Good hosting spreads on its own. I don't think it needs to go any deeper than that.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Very very interesting post.
    vito - could you pm me your msn? I would love to chat with you!

Sorry, I hate IM. But feel free to PM or email me.

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Vito I have wondered the exact same thing many times. I see hosts getting blasted for not refunding money or shutting sites down with no apparent reason and still they continue to grow. Of course I am a pretty smart guy and I know there are three sides to all stories (their side, hosts side and the truth) but still how much can a host get blasted and why do new people just sign up?

You and I have talked on the phone a few times and I know you are very ethical person and I would do business with you even if someone said something bad but I have personal experience with you so that bad thread or two would not effect my buying from your company (I would ask for an explanation possibly).

I deal with someone that lives in the UK and she said that one of the largest hosting companies over there will hold people's domains hostage when they try to leave the service and then they charge huge fees to release them and people still flock in.

I have been in this game for 6+ years and have slowly grown into a respectable company but still have not grown like some of the others, maybe because I do not offer everything for a dollar but I guess being here for this long speaks for itself.

Is it possible that the complains don't seem to hurt them because it is a low percent of their overall client base?? They just have more customers so they seem to get more complaints??

Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Originally posted by GWDGuy
    Is it possible that the complains don't seem to hurt them because it is a low percent of their overall client base?? They just have more customers so they seem to get more complaints??

Robert
    IMO, this is the relevant point. While the WHT complaints may appear abundant, their overall complaints may pale by comparison. So the point is that while it seems the company is failing miserably (by WHT standards), it's entirely possible that they are still growing month over month.

Vito

Vito, when you said your clients do you mean webhosting clients?
    Demodemo focuses on webhosting related tutorials so youre saying that most of the webhosting tutorial clients doesnt come from WHT?
    Interesting.

Now I know the real reason why you disappeared from WHT a while ago. You were testing the effect of WHT on your sales figure. Apparently youre werent really affected.

And rudedogg, what is it that you wanna talk to Vito in private about? Cant we discuss it on this thread and let the rest of us absorb some words of wisdom from Mr Vito?
    What you can do with Cpanel ------------------> |||||
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

Originally posted by Roy@ENHOST
    Vito, when you said your clients do you mean webhosting clients? Demodemo focuses on webhosting related tutorials so youre saying that most of the webhosting tutorial clients doesnt come from WHT?
    Interesting.
    Yes, what I'm saying is that the majority of my current business does not come from WHT.

Now I know the real reason why you disappeared from WHT a while ago. You were testing the effect of WHT on your sales figure. Apparently youre werent really affected.
    OK, now you're just speculating, and you're wrong. I left for personal reasons, nothing to do with the business side of it.

And rudedogg, what is it that you wanna talk to Vito in private about? Cant we discuss it on this thread and let the rest of us absorb some words of wisdom from Mr Vito?
    Not sure what he wants to discuss, but it's up to him as to whether he wants to discuss it in public.

Hey, maybe he wants to buy me out for $150 million. Would you think that he should be posting that publicly?

Vito

Vito I think anything over $140 million is just being greedy.

Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Originally posted by GWDGuy
    Vito I think anything over $140 million is just being greedy.

OK, I concede. I'll (reluctantly) take the 140, as I've been shamed by Robert...

Vito

Well, think of it this way - if you go to one of those terrorist websites (you know, the ones where they brag about how many of themselves they blew up today), you could surmise that the US is a truly evil society, fit for no more than licking the boots of Osama bin Laden.

But if you step back and look at the world's opinion in general, you'd see that the US is just overbearing and overconfident (and yes I do live in the US ).

So I think that getting a bad rep on WHT *could* hurt your business, but it all depends on your current/target market. If you target local businesses, schools, gaming clans, there's a very good chance that a lot of them will have never heard of WHT and have no interest in reading up on hosts here.

Perfect example - go over to angelnetworkz and see how they are still doing business even after that crap a year ago.
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

Greetings Vito:

If it matters, we came to be your customer because of your participation and knowledge demonstrated on WHT along with the level of professional care you seem to show in almost each post.

That stated in terms of our business, we may get one (1) customer ever other year from WHT. All of the rest come from non WHT sources.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

I've never used WHT to grow any portion of my business, so my reputation here I've never been worried with. This has always been a resource for me, a place where I could draw upon experiences and insight, and hopefully share whatever I can myself.

You know what says it best.. Look at ebay reputation.. people who have some of the worst reputation on ebay still sell as power ebayers.. why because theres always more than 1 side of the story. Alot of the time your gut will point you in the right direct.

Thats one good way to see it.. other good ways to put it is:

Cant please everyone Some people are just *** h*les.. ie 13 year old internet gamers

also

customers will complain at any chance but people to compliment is something which you dont see often..
    Clanplanet: Serving the gaming industry since 2004.
    > Game/Clan Servers, Teamspeak and Ventrilo
    > Dedicated Servers
    Want a new gaming POP in the UK? Low ping and Lag Free? Contact us.

Although many got their start at WHT and will continue to frequent the threads and discussions, it is (as many have pointed out) important to realize how much WHT truly represents. It is in no way indicative of the current market; nor is it a pure sales forum.

In truth, I know of many that have failed to realize this. Unfortunately their approaches were too one sided. In the end those enterprises help populate the WHT graveyard.

On a brighter note, it's always fun to 'network' with others of the same interests and goals.
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

Re: What's a good WHT reputation worth...really??

Originally posted by vito
    I should preface this thread by saying that I am very grateful to WHT. I started my main site 3 years ago and launched it on WHT. Its initial success was very much based on the response I received on this board. And for that I am eternally grateful. It puts food on my family's table, and for that I am very appreciative.

Over time, the site took on a life of its own, and now, the % of new clients I get, for the most part, do not come from WHT. They come from the "rest of the Internet".

There are a few businesses that I can think of that were born here, and very quickly grew to great proportions in this very community. However, it's important to acknowledge that there is a great big ol' world out there outside of WHT. To be perfectly frank, WHT is but a mere blip in the overall web hosting world. Yes, it is the largest web hosting discussion forum in the whole world. But the members here encompass a very small fraction of the entire web hosting industry.

So keeping this perspective in mind, how important do you feel your WHT reputation is to your overall business' success?

Let me also make one more point. I know a couple of owners whose hosting businesses have a pretty "ratty" rep here. They get slammed at every opportunity. Yet, outside of WHT, their businesses are flourishing. If you based your opinion on just the WHT threads, you'd swear they were destined for the gutter. Yet, they're growing at 20-50% per year.

So it appears to be a bit of a paradoxical situation. A good WHT rep can reap many financial rewards. Yet a bad WHT rep doesn't necessarily mean you're doomed for failure.

Your thoughts?

Vito
    not so sure...if you look at dedicated server forum of WHT...you see nothing but so and so screw me or screw up or what-ever

you got people blaming provider who don't shut down ware site because of poster's complain and threating to post on WHT if poster don't get their way.

i've seem too much of complain over little thing and WHT kinda turn into a weapon against providers because people can post bad thing or even worst make up thing about providers.

i think WHT have some weight but it's not the only place to get business.

Vito,

The way I see it. We have thousands of happy customers but none bother to post here. We have had users with no problems for 4+ years. However I think it's human nature to have a whinge and why would anyone post here other than their spiteful. Regardless if you spend your valuable time responding to some claims your name will be tarnished and that's all the poster is trying to achieve. 95% of the threads here are a whinge about something.
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Originally posted by coight
    Vito,

The way I see it. We have thousands of happy customers but none bother to post here. We have had users with no problems for 4+ years. However I think it's human nature to have a whinge and why would anyone post here other than their spiteful. Regardless if you spend your valuable time responding to some claims your name will be tarnished and that's all the poster is trying to achieve. 95% of the threads here are a whinge about something.
    that's about to sum it up. WHT is not the end of your business if you don't customers from here.

WHT is really the last place a person should go fo customers IMHO.

This board is setup for those that are looking to start a webhosting business, if you are one of those then think of who you are really advertising to.

For dedicated providers, resellers (to an extent), and VSP providers it will matter to have a good rep. For providers of something like I don't know, flash demos, a good WHT rep can help as well

For hosts themselves, it really doesn't matter that much, but it's too fun of a place to be shunned out of.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Another, very interesting topic, Vito.

I have always had a sense of some correlation between successful Web hosting companies and activity from the company rep at WHT, but not too long ago (I admit), I realised that the hosting companies I was basing this correlation on, had representatives posting on WHT, I realised that there were plenty of successful Web hosting companies, who don't even get a mention on WHT, let alone have anybody from their company posting here.

Personally, I think WHT has the potential to make a business a success, to be honest Vito, with a product like you offer at DemoDemo, WHT could not help but make it a success, it was innovative at the time, and still is to this day, I just wish I had beaten you to it.

DemoDemo did need a lot of care and planning, but I am sure you will admit, it is a lot easier to make a success on WHT out of something unique, rather than another Web hosting company.

You know my current ventures Vito, in terms of business, personally, I see WHT been a large market for us in the first few years of business, after that, I feel our market will start to sway more outside of WHT, although, I cannot say for certain, as nobody knows what the Internet and the outside World will be like in three years time.

It is certainly an interesting topic Vito, but I feel most people have hit the nail on the head, with the right product, it has great potential to make a success out of a business, with a good reputation, that chance of success rises, it certainly doesn't do it all for you though, you need to have something unique and inviting.

It has also been noted, that WHT has even greater potential to crack a business, and potentially, break down a business. The first few years after our business is launched are going to be the toughest, because I will always have in the back of my mind, if we fail at this point, there is no regrouping and gaining our reputation back, because I suspect 90% of our client base will be from WHT and a number of other forums, if we enter a stage of very bad reputation on these forums, then it will be very hard to continue.

WHT is an online community. If you're a member of this community, and as such do business in this community, and you've gained a good reputation, and can maintain that rep over many years, then that's a good achievement. I've lost track of the hosts that I've seen crash and burn on WHT. They can't handle the pressure, and either get legitimately banned, or limp away wounded.

Does a bad reputation on WHT mean death for your business? Not neccessarily, but it can't be good for your business, and could be an indicator of areas you could think of improving in. WHT is like a big spotlight, that shows up areas that you could improve upon, be that personal or business related.

WHT is the largest concentration of hosting discussion on the net, but it's not the be all and end all of hosting. For me, WHT is some light fun, a place to relax, and keep tabs of what's happening in the industry. I also have a lot of friends here, and it's good to interact with them on a regular basis.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Generally all online community site not directly affect to our sales. May be only in very first time. We are registered as a member on few russian online forums and have a few clients from them. But no more than 10-20 and around half of this now not work (for different reason, mainly just sirte owner lost interests to his sites).
    But, when customer try found us (not depend how he come to our site or where he heard about us) and ask us about warranties and etc, we just transfer him to one of the forums where we was registered and in most case this is enough for customer.
    Same about domain registraton service and server resell. So, just be a open, friendly and honest and you will may be have a success in any business not only in hosting.
    Of course, i know hosters, resellers which is not honest, friendly and etc., but have a more customers that we, but this is the short success and in future their customer anyway will have some sort problem.
    Serious customer always try research you and not restrict his investigation only words which posted on your site and when he not found any bad words about you on main community site which relate to your businesss, he just add one more sign ro your offers.
    TK Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR

Another reason you see so many more bad reviews here, is due to the type of people that visit this forum. People that come here looking for webhosts generally have a greater need for the hosting and will use more of the features than an average church website with a few html files and a contact form would.

Therefore, there are more small things to go wrong that can make a webhost look bad.
    Ampinet.co.uk - UK Webhosting - Coming Soon!
    99.99% Uptime Guarentee | Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 24/7 Support

IMHO, i not put my host company name here, because when some of my customers seek the brand name if they seek i post here can known i am a reseller. Anyway, is great for me never see bad words here about my little shared busines.s. shared because i not sell resellers yet... but around 300 customers in 12 resellers packs, give me a good entrance each month.

Originally posted by P-nut
    Well, think of it this way - if you go to one of those terrorist websites (you know, the ones where they brag about how many of themselves they blew up today), you could surmise that the US is a truly evil society, fit for no more than licking the boots of Osama bin Laden.
    Got me to laugh.

Honestly, we dont advertise our hosting on the web much (except search engine optimization). Most of our clients dont even come from the web but we go and meet with them in person. It's too over inflated for smaller-mid sized hosting companies to compete. (12 dollars a click on overture -

WHT - good reputation doesnt get you much IMO.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast