hd for gameservers?

For game servers, is it beneficial to have 10k/15k rpm scsi drives over the traditional 7200rpm sata drive? (Keep in mind, beneficial can be balanced with the usually big price jump)

We have some machines with 10k and 15k and others with regular 7200's and never really noticed a big enough difference to go one way or the other. I've also played in most of our game servers at one time or another so from a gamers perspective there is no difference either.

Thanks for the input. I heard its only beneficial for map changes in cs, or maybe server reboots.

You are correct and if you were to do a benchmark you would see a speed increase with the SCSI's but I'm not a strong believer in benchmarks and would rather test things in a working enviroment in which case as I stated above the differences are not noticeable from a gamers standpoint.

For counter-strike servers, the hard drive is not used that much except for map changes. the speed of the hard drive will be the limiting factor of how fast the map changes

Thanks everyone

As long as you have enough RAM (and, if you want decent performance, that's a given), all reads should be cached, so there's no waiting on disk. Writes are always cached.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

The feeling im getting around here is that scsi arent needed for game servers, especially because the price usually jumps up a considerable amount.