Question Is Your Printer Spying On You?

In an effort to identify counterfeiters, the US government has succeeded in persuading some color laser printer manufacturers to encode each page with identifying information. That means that without your knowledge or consent, an act you assume is private could become public. A communication tool you're using in everyday life could become a tool for government surveillance. And what's worse, there are no laws to prevent abuse.

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

South Daytona, FL
    Old news, highend color printers and copiers have been doing this for quite a while.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Sounds like a topic that needs to be addressed in Congress. Law enforcement should definitely be limited in how they can use the encoding information.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Atlanta, GA and Los Angeles, CA
    Dedicated Servers, KVM, Xen & OpenVZ VPS, Co-location, R1Soft Data Backup, Shared & Reseller Hosting

4. As long as youre not connected to the net, I dont see how they are able to transmit the data back to anyone.
    So before you decide to print anything, unplug the modem.
    You can also use firewalls to prevent "callbacks".

I'll be damned if my parents were notified by the FBI that I've been printing a bunch of Paris Hiltons.
    What you can do with Cpanel ------------------> |||||
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

Tacoma, Washington
    Originally posted by [email protected]
    I'll be damned if my parents were notified by the FBI that I've been printing a bunch of Paris Hiltons.
    I believe that currency is called 'the skank'?

Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

I once bought a xeroz Docucolor, which when I tried to print any bills over $5 it won't allow it...

Didnt bother to crack, since its on a lease..

But when I printed the $1, man it looks 100% the same, and I mean it...

Then I found out (after reading the manual) that it does exactly what the Dude said..

But then its stupid, whoever is going to print money would not lease nor buy a machine on there names.... would crack the machine any way..

Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

It has nothing to do with calling back or communicating the information, there's a code identifying what printer was used encoded in the page, if you're doing nothing wrong there's no reason the government will ever even see your print out. And it can only be shared with the people you hand that piece of paper to.