Monitoring Overloads?

Hi guys,

Do most web hosts have automated tools in place for monitoring server overload conditions?

The salespeople at my host (micfo) insist they do. The sales literature claims they have overload monitoring.

One tech person told me that their monitoring was designed to alert them to whether a server is online or not, not if it is overloaded. Another tech person told me they had overload monitoring, but it wasn't always reliable. Mostly they avoid my questions on the topic.

The reason I ask is because every couple of days (over the last few weeks) my WHM control panel tells me my server is overloaded.

I'll report this to the tech department, who responds promptly to tell they will fix it, which they always do.

And then 48 hours later I'm writing them yet again to inform them of the next overload.

From my end it appears to me that _I_ am the server overload monitoring system, but that's just my limited perspective from the outside.

I've been offered a more reliable server, but I'm wondering why another server would be more reliable if they can't protect this one. (best I can tell some kind of abuse or DOS attack is ongoing)

What's the truth about server overload monitoring in general at hosts you know something about?

Many thanks!

There are scripts that can notify a host about proccess that are overloading the server.
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

Thank you. Yes, I figured there were, and am wondering why my host doesn't appear to use them.

Are such scripts unreliable, expensive, or otherwise problematic?

The one we use is free, it's reliable. I guess the problem might be how they have it implamented. The script might be setup to email one person (who is not always there) instead of emailing a general department who will react to it. I don't work there so it's hard to say.

My suggestion is to move to the other server and if you have the same problem then look elseware.
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

Originally posted by squirreldog
    Thank you. Yes, I figured there were, and am wondering why my host doesn't appear to use them.

Are such scripts unreliable, expensive, or otherwise problematic?
    It all depends on how your host is run. There are quite a number of free scripts that can monitor server loads and such and are not problematic at all.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Thanks guys, this all makes sense to me. I appreciate you confirming from your more experienced point of view.

From the scraps of info I'm getting from my host it sounds like some outside party is abusing the server. My host will block some IP's, which solves the overload for a day or two, then the problem returns. We've repeated that loop a number of times now.

I'm getting an education out of it, in more ways than one, that's a good upside.

Am really sad about the situation @ Micfo! They use be a very stable host. Some times server load gets upto 40+...(Now its around 6+). As Squirreldog mentioned when ever we repot they fix it after some time. But however something else goes down within the next few hours.... FTP down, email down, help desk down.... and I've spend most of my life complaining for the last few days & am getting sick of it. I wonder Amir's aware of this....

Yup, all my Micfo sites are down this morning. Looks like I found Micfo just in time to watch them fall apart... :-(