Thread: Why Cpanel?

Why Cpanel?

Why is CPANEL used by the majority of hosters? From my experience HSPHERE has a much better layout and is ALOT easier. I move that Hsphere take the lead as #1 used layout

Louis.

IIRC CPanel has been around a bit longer, and there always has to be a leader, Cpanel just happened to be it.

People liked the features, layout, etc...

I say host with what you like, DirectAdmin is my favorite poison.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

I would like to find a host with a good deal that offers Hspere. But like I said previously, they aren't exactly Waiting in my front yard. They seem to be shy cause they are always hiding. And the look of Cpanel is REALLY outdated (Compared to hsphere)

Well look is only a small part of a control panel really. The features are where it comes in.

I do not know any of this for a fact, just speculation, but I do not think they have an Internal License program.

In addition their pricing program is not something the majority of hosts want to deal with I'd imagine. $4.50 per user, even though it is a one time fee. People would rather pay the money for CPanel monthly with unlimited users.
    Mike from Zoodia.com

Understandable. but The whole thing seems just too complicated for the casual user. I know how to navigate a control panel, but there I can't even upload a webportal because It (Either cpanel or my host) doesn't allow uploads via FTP (Or maybe I just haven't figured out how to make it so I can yet)

Well I know for a fact you can most certainly upload via FTP on Cpanel, and I agree that it is a bit cluttered, but then again windows is cluttered in my opinion and look at the users it has
    Mike from Zoodia.com

Maybe you could explain it to me? I am logged in through one of the "Main accounts" It made for me when I sign up (And it won't let me erase{Yet another minor conflict I have}) But when I try to upload via cute ftp I get eroor 403 forbidden.

Thanks,
    Louis

Maybe you could explain it to me? I am logged in through one of the "Main accounts" It made for me when I sign up (And it won't let me erase{Yet another minor conflict I have}) But when I try to upload via cute ftp I get eroor 404 forbidden.

Thanks,
    Louis

It's been a while since I was on a CPanel machine, but when I used it I simply FTPed into the server with the username and password and away I went.

Did you create another FTP user for your account or something?

http://www.cpanel.net/docs/cpanel/ might be of some help as well.
    Mike from Zoodia.com

Louis, wouldn't that be a good question to ask your Hoster?

Most Control Panels just tie in to Apache and whatever FTP dameon is installed. Long as correct Domain name, Username, and PW are used, access through FTP should be no problems?
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

I tried it with one that I made. Same problems as when I use one of the defaults. And when I go to my link (Still waiting for the servers to switch over) the files I upload don't even appear.

I've used Cpanel for years, and I like it.
    But I am sure there is always something better out there.

Cpanel rules

it's easier for users, more free support and more people doing mods to work with it like fantastico installatron and hundreds more
    http://www.ciclonpr.com
    Web Design - Web Hosting - SEO Services

CPanel have great user interface,
    great graphix and functionality.

I just love it!