Angry Man wins 20 mil, buys family everything, murdered by sister in law for money

LITHIA - For Christmas, Jeffrey Dampier Jr. treated 38 members of his family to a seven-day Caribbean cruise. He bought houses and cars for his parents and nine brothers and sisters. He had grown up with little money in the west side of Chicago, but shared his wealth after picking the winning numbers of a $20-million Illinois Lotto.

On Thursday, authorities continued to search for two suspected in his killing.

Victoria Jackson, a sister of Dampier's wife, and Jackson's boyfriend are accused of shooting to death the 39-year-old FishHawk Ranch resident Tuesday, after kidnapping him and demanding money.

Authorities said his captors left him in his silver 2005 GMC Savana on Magnolia Avenue, a dead-end street in Seffner, and fled on foot.

"They should be considered armed and dangerous," said Debbie Carter, spokeswoman for the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office. "We did not recover a weapon."

Authorities named Jacksonville as a possible destination for the couple. Hillsborough sheriff's detectives issued felony arrest warrants Wednesday for Dampier's sister-in-law, 23, and her boyfriend, Nathaniel, 24, whose last name is also Jackson.

Investigators recovered fingerprints and forensic evidence from the van. Dampier was shot on the floorboard between the driver and passenger seats, Carter said, noting there was blood inside the vehicle.

On Thursday, detectives showed the van to news reporters. Dark stains were visible on a fabric console between the front seats.

Decals posted on the sides and rear advertised Kassie's Gourmet Popcorn, the flavored popcorn store that Dampier opened in January at Tampa's Channelside entertainment complex. He named the shop for a granddaughter. His mother and brother helped run it.

The third child and eldest son of a baker, Dampier grew up in a close-knit family. He studied auto mechanics and served in the Army. When he and his ex-wife claimed a $20-million Illinois Lotto jackpot in 1996, his fortune offered new ways to bring the family together.

He bought houses and cars for his siblings and parents, according to one of his sisters. She asked that her name not be published, describing the family as private and in mourning.

She said Dampier had three children and two grandchildren. His wife brought two more children to the blended family. Among his siblings, he was the brother everyone depended on, from business advice to fixing cars to babysitting.

He took care of the lawn at the FishHawk Ranch townhouse that he purchased for his parents, less than a mile from the half-million-dollar house Dampier and his wife bought in the subdivision in July 2001, according to county property records.

Most of his siblings, who range in age from 27 to 42, followed Dampier to Florida. He wanted them nearby, his sister explained.

Once a month, they would gather at a restaurant.

His wife's family often joined his family at dinners and holiday celebrations.

The night of his death, Dampier went to his sister-in-law's apartment because she was reportedly having car trouble, his sister said.

He was supposed to meet his wife and other family members at the Olive Garden restaurant in Brandon after swinging by the Jackson apartment at 350 Lakewood Drive.

He never made it.

About 8 p.m., according to sheriff's spokeswoman Carter, Victoria Jackson and Nathaniel Jackson pulled a semiautomatic handgun on Dampier and another woman with them, forcing both into the van. Carter did not identify the woman.

They struck Dampier several times with the gun before shooting him, Carter said. Authorities would not release details about the shooting.

Dampier was dead when deputies arrived, summoned by nearby residents who heard the van running.

The Jacksons are accused of first-degree murder with a firearm, aggravated assault with a firearm, armed carjacking and two counts of armed kidnapping.
    http://www.stpetetimes.com/2005/07/2...red_his_.shtml

wow, talk about greedy little sobs.

Sad story, reminds me of Jack Whitaker.

http://www.billingsgazette.com/index...nners-life.inc

Seems like a lot of lottery winners have found their lives turned upside down by the sudden winnings. Apparently the sleaze of the Earth surface looking for free handouts or otherwise try to abscond with the winnings. Some lotto winnners have even said the money wasn't worth it because it turned their lives upside down.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

God people suck.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Yep, it's been said that the love of money is the root of evil.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    Yep, it's been said that the love of money is the root of evil.
    Not really.

Doesn't seem appropriate but,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails women_evil.jpg  
    Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

thats so messed up, this guy was truly generous with his winnings...man i really hope she gets whats coming to her
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

Yep people like this should be shot...(I mean the person who killed him).

im not suprised theres so much corperate gread with companies like walmart and stuff
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Yes, greed is a sin...that also lead to death. It affect everyone around them because the person is not able to control themselve.

That's so sad especially since he was generous with his money. It's not like he was keeping it all to himself and not helping his family. People are so crazy. I'm incapable of doing something like that, and if I did I would probably be such in shock I would kill myself.

Sad Very Very Sad! I hate it when that happens! I hate people who are very greedy in Money! Hope they Burn in H***
    www.DefyStudios.com ___Interactive Design

Makes me glad 99% of my family live in another country.
    Shawn Auton
    Racked Hosting
    Web Hosting, Unmetered Dedicated Hosting and SHOUTcast Hosting

WTF?! I swear, materialism is just the root of everything nasty.

When you have money, and you don't open up your account to all of your relatives that you didn't know you had -- they call you some rather unpleasant names.

When you do open up -- this happens?!
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

Very sad..........

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

If they did in fact kill this man they are one of very few who deserve the death penalty. It is inexcusable to kill family members for whatever reason especially for money.
    Kerry Jones

=o You wouldn't think people would do something like that, sheesh

The guy was generous and helpful. He even went to the killer's apartment to help fix her car. Traitors and greedy. So sad.
    He who hates correction will die. --Proverbs 15:10
    Jeffrey's Cute Blog | My stockphotos and illustrations

''the love of money is the root of evil'' yes i agree with this. sad thing

Originally posted by fyrestrtr
    WTF?! I swear, materialism is just the root of everything nasty.

When you have money, and you don't open up your account to all of your relatives that you didn't know you had -- they call you some rather unpleasant names.

When you do open up -- this happens?!
    She wasn't happy with her share of the cash.