my pop3 server not working

Hi,

I just setup a pop3 service on my server running Windows Server 2003 Web Edition. I think I've done everything right for it to receive email but any mail I send doesn't arrive.

First of all, I'm not sure exactly where I should be looking. I'm looking in C:\Inetpub\mailroot\Mailbox\lexingtonmarketing.ca\P3_gibran.mbx where I find 2 files: Lock and Quota. Lock seems empty and Quota is cryptic. Neither one seems to contain any mail I sent to this account and there are no other files. Other folders in mailroot include Badmail, Drop, Pickup, Queue, Route, and Sort Temp, none of which contain anything that stands out.

Here's how I set everything up: after installing pop3 and openning it, I right clicked on my server, clicked new domain, and gave it the name lexingtonmarketing.ca. I also have a website set up called www.lexingtonmarketing.ca which I know works. I've got the domain name registered with register.com. I logged onto my account with them, went to change my MX for the lexingtonmarketing.ca site and set it to mail.lexingtonmarketing.ca. They told me this would work since the domain name lexingtonmarketing.ca is already associated with the IP address of my server, and any mail sent to [username]@lexingtonmarketing.ca who be redirected to my server. Then, I create a mailbox: in my pop3 service interface, I right clicked on the lexingtonmarketing.ca domain, clicked on new mailbox, entered gibran for mailbox name, kept "create associated user for this account" checked, and entered my password. The mailbox was created. Finally, my server is in an office network and requires port forwarding on the router. So I configured the router to forward anything coming in for port 110 to the internal ip address of my server (192.168.1.100).

To test it, I sent emails from two of my accounts (hotmail and telus.net) and I couldn't find either of them anywhere on my server. Neither of my messages bounced back either.

Does anyone see anything wrong with how I set this up? Anything I forgot to do? I set the root mail directory to C:\Inetpub\mailroot\Mailbox which have subfolders for all the domains automatically created. If I'm hosting the website for www.lexingtonmarketing.ca under D:\Inetpub\public_websites\lexingtonmarking\wwwroot, that shouldn't matter should it (2 different directories for the same domain name)?

It sounds like you didn't configure the SMTP server. POP3 only sends the email to a pop client, it does not retreive or receive to the server.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Since mail is such an easy thing to expoit and setup wrong, I'll give you some advice: pay someone to do it the first time. You will save a lot of hassle in the long run.
    I wish all my traffic went through AS174.

Originally posted by trau
    It sounds like you didn't configure the SMTP server. POP3 only sends the email to a pop client, it does not retreive or receive to the server.
    I do have an SMTP service running and it works since I've used it to send emails to other people's accounts. I have a few ASP.NET forms on a few website that compose and send emails when the user hits submit. It uses the SMTP server and the recipients (including myself) say they get them just fine.

Are you absolutely sure that pop3 doesn't receive mail? Why would my pop3 service allow me to create mailboxes right there on the server?

Originally posted by gib65

Are you absolutely sure that pop3 doesn't receive mail? Why would my pop3 service allow me to create mailboxes right there on the server? [/B]
    POP3 allows for messages to be recieved... SMTP allows for messages to be sent to another mailbox! Windows 2003 ( any addition ) allows for incoming messages to be recieved. But you'll need something like Exchange or something similar to use SMTP.

My personal opinion is to not have an Exchange server running on the same box as my web server. Exchange in itself is a resource hog and your going to take considerable amount of resources away from your hosted sites that way!

I'll also agree with Joe when he says have someone else host your mail for a while. Exchange takes alot of labor time keeping the maintanence up on it and keeping it patched.
    C-4 Hosting
    http://www.C-4.us
    Est. in 2003 - Treating Every Client Like They Were Our ONLY Client!
    Reliable, Affordable, and Professional Web Hosting

Are you absolutely sure that pop3 doesn't receive mail? Why would my pop3 service allow me to create mailboxes right there on the server?
    Yes, it allows you to create the mailboxes and it is the service that allows clients to "download" their mail, but SMTP is what allows the server to send/receive mail.

Are you sure you set up the MX record correctly and created the appropriate "A" record?

MX record == mail.mydomain.com
    A record == mail.mydomain.com xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Originally posted by C-4 Hosting
    POP3 allows for messages to be recieved... SMTP allows for messages to be sent to another mailbox! Windows 2003 ( any addition ) allows for incoming messages to be recieved. But you'll need something like Exchange or something similar to use SMTP.
    Incorrect, that is a common misconception. Server2003 has a built in simple mail server (very simple). You are confusing what POP and SMTP do on a client with how it works on a server.

I agree with you that I would keep mail services seperate though. I only use the SMTP portion on Server2003's mail server. Thats so I can configure the management agents loaded on clients servers to send out alerts when there's an issue.

man that sux theres some tools on dnsstuff.com and you could try telnet to the server on its port?
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Assuming your mail server is configured at 68.144.4.236, I can't open port 25 (SMTP) to the server. Since you've verified port 25 works internally, I'd take a look at your firewall or NAT box and verify port 25 is being forwarded to your server.

Your MX record looks fine and the website is loading ok.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Re-reading your origional post I see a problem. You are port forwarding port110, you need to forward port25 (SMTP).

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsre...nmarketing.ca+
    shows your mail server can not be reached.

Ah! Port 25! That did the trick! I always thought port 25 was for outgoing mail (SMTP) but I guess that's only on the client side. Thanks for your help.

Glad to hear the mystery is solved.

Thanks. It was helpful. Now there's one more problem I'm having, and if this is solved, I'll have a fully functional mail server.

I tried testing my mail server out from home with Outlook Express. I sent email to my [email protected] account from a couple of my other accounts not associated with my server (telus and hotmail), and downloaded them from home using Outlook. It seemed to work fine, so receiving email works. Then when I tried to send an email using Outlook, I got an error saying:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.lexingtonmarketing.ca', Server: 'mail.lexingtonmarketing.ca', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

I know my server is still online since going to www.lexingtonmarketing.ca worked, and I've got port forwarding working for both ports 25 and 110. I know I can send email from my server's SMTP service since I've done it before (directly from the server, not through Outlook). Do I have to do anything special to get it to use the server's SMTP service?

Sounds like an authentication issue. Instead of looking on the server side of things, check out your client settings. See this search on Microsoft's site for different suggestions:

http://support.microsoft.com/search/...?qu=0x800CCC0F

You probably have to enable a certain authentication item on your client (see the first article in the search). Good luck!
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

I know I can send email from my server's SMTP service since I've done it before (directly from the server, not through Outlook). Do I have to do anything special to get it to use the server's SMTP service?
    It defaults to not allowing relaying and only will accept smtp requests from systems on the same subnet. Configuring it properly (so if doesn't end up relaying spam) isn't something I can describe in a sentence or two. I would suggest using your ISP's SMTP server when home and not messing with the security settings on the server.