US evicted from Uzbekistan airbase

UZBEKISTAN has evicted the United States from a military base that has served as a hub for combat and humanitarian missions to Afghanistan since shortly after the September 11, 2001 attacks, the Washington Post reported today.
    A notice to leave Karshi-Khanabad air base, also known as K2, was delivered by a courier from the Uzbek Foreign Ministry to the US Embassy in Tashkent, the newspaper said, citing an unnamed senior US administrative official involved in Central Asia policy.

Uzbekistan will give the United States 180 days to move aircraft, personnel and equipment, the newspaper said.

It said the United States expects Uzbekistan to follow through on the eviction notice and the action would create logistical problems for US operations in Afghanistan.

Advertisement:
    A Pentagon spokesman had no immediate comment on the report.
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-23109,00.html

well that is within their right to do that. now we just need to get out and cut off any foreign aid we are giving them. not a dime should flow from the us to them or their government - and that is within our right to do that.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

^^ IM WITH STUPID!! ^^

"The only way to overcome fear, is to challenge it head on"
    "The quickest way to get over a woman, is to get under another"

Thumbs down

Originally posted by sailor
    well that is within their right to do that. now we just need to get out and cut off any foreign aid we are giving them. not a dime should flow from the us to them or their government - and that is within our right to do that.
    Not a smart move... at all..

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Well, that is ok. Like Sailor said, we can also stop financial dealings that benefit them. They are not the only game in the region.

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Jul2...0726_2229.html
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

I would agree an economic embargo would be the way to go.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

Originally posted by HiVelocity
    I would agree an economic embargo would be the way to go.
    I do not know that a full on economic embargo is the right course of action. They will lose money by not having the aircraft and personel there. I am sure it would also be a consideration if they ask or need financial help.

It is up to them if the do not want the facility used. But there are consequences to that decision down the road.

Originally posted by azizny
    Not a smart move... at all..

Peace,
    lol - why not?

you think we should let them throw us out and still ask for our free donations?

get real man.

why - should we fear they will try to extort us iwht threats of holy war if we dont give them protection payments?

ahahahaha

we should cut them off hard.

we should not embargo them however - we can still engage in fair and meaninful capital trade which benefits both economies.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Here is an update, including some dollar figgures:

Uzbeks Ask U.S. to Leave Karshi-Khanabad
    By Jim Garamone
    American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Aug. 1, 2005 Uzbekistan has exercised its rights under an October 2001 bilateral agreement to end coalition use of Karshi-Khanabad - "K2" - airfield.

The Uzbek government delivered a note July 29 to the U.S. embassy in Tashkent giving the United States 180 days to withdraw its forces from the strategic field. About 800 U.S. servicemembers are at the base.

Uzbek officials said coalition use of the base was always meant for a short duration and specifically for the purpose of providing operational support for forces in Afghanistan and providing humanitarian aid to the northern part of that country, and said there has been a "successful achievement of the goals and mission of the agreement."

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said this is not the case. During a visit to the region last week, Rumsfeld said operations continue against the Taliban and al Qaeda remnants in Afghanistan, and a need still exists for humanitarian supplies in the northern part of the country.

The United States has access to air bases in Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan and Turkmenistan. Rumsfeld said the air bases in central Asia "have been enormously helpful with respect to our efforts in Afghanistan." The bases also play a role in regional counterterrorism and counternarcotics missions, he said.

A Pentagon spokesman said DoD is working with State Department officials to respond to the Uzbek note. American military planners are working on options that will allow coalition forces "to continue combat operations and humanitarian aid" in Afghanistan.

Defense officials said other options will be more costly and cumbersome. K2 has runways large enough and sturdy enough to handle large cargo aircraft. More importantly, good, all-weather roads from the base to Afghanistan allow trucks to carry supplies into the area.

The United States paid Uzbekistan $15.7 million for services the government provided from October 2001 through the end of 2002. The United States intends to reimburse Uzbekistan a further $23 million for services provided from January 2003 to March 2005. These services include security, infrastructure improvements and logistical help.

The relationship between the United States and Uzbekistan has grown tense since protests in May in the Uzbek province of Andijan turned bloody. The Uzbeks said about 200 people were killed in the protests. The government maintains those killed were terrorists.

I can't believe some think this deserves an economic embargo. They don't want us in their country anymore, I think that is just fine, stop giving them aid and leave.

lol - why not?

get real man.

why - should we fear they will try to extort us iwht threats of holy war if we dont give them protection payments?

ahahahaha

we should not embargo them however - we can still engage in fair and meaninful capital trade which benefits both economies.
    awww did poor uncle sam hurt his botty when uzbeki kicked him out of bed

you gotta love the way it's all rose petals untill somebody actually points out that the west is in bed with terrorists.
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

Originally posted by RossH
    I can't believe some think this deserves an economic embargo. They don't want us in their country anymore, I think that is just fine, stop giving them aid and leave.
    I think only one person suggested that.

lol - why not?

get real man.

ahahahaha

Two points I had in mind:

1) Its better to keep them friends than enemies, and money does that pretty good.. Also it seems that we are not paying them donations, but rather we are paying them for services rendered!

2) I think they did that for a reason, to avoid terrorism. For example in countries like KSA and EG, which have bases for the USA. They have been hit hard... So I think they are trying to be friendly on both sides...

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Originally posted by azizny
    Two points I had in mind:

1) Its better to keep them friends than enemies, and money does that pretty good.. Also it seems that we are not paying them donations, but rather we are paying them for services rendered!

2) I think they did that for a reason, to avoid terrorism. For example in countries like KSA and EG, which have bases for the USA. They have been hit hard... So I think they are trying to be friendly on both sides...

Peace,
    well based on that logic - we should kick everyone out of us and tell them if they want to be our friends then they can buy us off by paying for our friendship or we wont come out and play with them.

lol

not sure I want friends that I have to pay for to be nice to me.....no thanks
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000