This affects ALL HOSTS - migrating resellers from 1 host to another

This affects all hosts sooner or later. How is this issue dealt with?

I am a reseller. Most of my resold accounts are small static plain vanilla web sites.

I need to move my entire WHM reseller account from my current host to another host seamlessly in one go i.e. transferring exact copies of all resold accounts so that nothing is changed after the transfer to the new host (eg. account login info, POP3 passwords, etc. should all remain the same.)

I know that this can be done using the *Transfer* feature in WHM, but doing so would need the server root password of my old host. This is something that most hosts will not want to divulge for obvious reasons. So how do most hosts get around to doing this... keeping in mind the transfer is done in one move... not moving individual accounts!

Is there a way to request my old host to back up / zip up my entire WHM reseller account into one file and upload it to a public folder where my new host can download it?

How do most hosts solve this problem. I have about 15 resold accounts I think which collectively do not take up more than 350 MB.

You would need backups from your old host of all accounts, there is only 15 shouldn't take long at all

I desire a clean seamless move in a single shot, preferably without backing up 15 individual accounts? is there any other practical way of achieveing this?

Duport - one question:
    The 15 backups you suggested above, how are they done? from whm or from cpanel?

Ask your host to do it for you. A reputable host won't have a problem with it. They might charge you a fee for the work, since it does require the admin's time and isn't something that is normally covered with your hosting fees.

You can backup each individual cPanel account via cPanel. For your resold accounts, you should be able to log into their cPanel with their username and your reseller password (I think).

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Originally posted by officer
    I desire a clean seamless move in a single shot, preferably without backing up 15 individual accounts? is there any other practical way of achieveing this?

Duport - one question:
    The 15 backups you suggested above, how are they done? from whm or from cpanel?
    You really can't do a single shot move with a reseller account (and even with root access, not suggested).

For the 15 backups that Duport was talking about, back up from each users cPanel (using full backup feature) and restore in WHM using 'Restore a Full Backup/cpmove file.' Are you moving to another reseller account? For the restore, you'd need to talk to the new company (I think).

You could do those backups yourself by logging into everyones accounts cPanel from
    WHM and choosing 'Backup' > 'Full' once you have moved the backups to your new
    webspace; keep them all in your account in your 'Home' directory and then have them
    restored by your new host change your DNS

Do what Tina has advised (Ask your host to do it for you.) if possible. I just completed a moved of about 15 site to one of our servers for a new reseller and it does take some time, you will also need the passwords for each account you plan to move.

Total time frame was about 1.5 hours.

Also be aware if any of the sites are larger them the /tmp you will run into an issue with the backup file filling /tmp on the server you are pulling from and it will fail.
    Last edited by spulis; 07-30-2005 at 06:29 PM.
    I always did like the clouds