To Ded Or Not To Ded

Hi all,
    Just wanted to ask a few opinions.
    What would be the signs you would go by to figure out if your site needed to be upgraded from shared hosting to dedicated hosting ?
    One of my sites is getting a bit of throughput, its a graphical site and some of the users are complaining that at certain times of the day not all images are loading (Peek time)
    Well thanks in advance

What would be the signs you would go by to figure out if your site needed to be upgraded from shared hosting to dedicated hosting ?
    Number of simultaneous visitors (peak and average), total data transfer usage.

With a dedicated server you also need management, so don't forget to factor that into the cost.

But chances are your host will start getting grumpy with that much usage in a shared environment.

You will need a dedicated when you see that your site is reaching high bandwidth useage and resource useage. If your visitors are complaining then i think it may be best to find a dedicated or semi dedicated. Or maybe it could be a problem with your host?

Re: To Ded Or Not To Ded

Originally posted by walu
    Hi all,
    Just wanted to ask a few opinions.
    One of my sites is getting a bit of throughput, its a graphical site and some of the users are complaining that at certain times of the day not all images are loading (Peek time)
    Well thanks in advance
    It sounds like a Virtual Private Server (VPS) could be a very viable option for you. It's the step between Shared & Dedicated hosting, and there are some good compnanies out there like PowerVPS and ServInt that have a good reputation here and provide good support, which would probably come in handy if you aren't comfortable managing a dedicated server on your own. Plus, it's significantly cheaper than a dedicated server.

Best of luck!
    Steve Lundy - Web Design GT
    Custom & Professional website design services.
    Find Out More!

hey thanks for all the input. i think at the rate the site is growing, it could be time to get a ded, im fairly comortable in linux so if i do it now, I might be able to kill any "issues" that arise before the site becomes well "Larger".
    Again thanks for the input

Good Luck. I've seen managed VPS deals for around $50/month. Dedicated servers would be a bit more I guess...
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Originally posted by walu
    hey thanks for all the input. i think at the rate the site is growing, it could be time to get a ded, im fairly comortable in linux so if i do it now, I might be able to kill any "issues" that arise before the site becomes well "Larger".
    Again thanks for the input
    Yep, get the dedicated server. Skip the VPS solution. However, like mentioned earlier, have you checked with the host to see what the main problem is? They could be running a backup script at that time,which does drive loads up and cause such issues.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.