Ever been to a chiropractor

I've done a lot of heavy lifting here in there in certain jobs I've had, and just last week it caught up with me. I was laying in bed and turned my back just a little bit and was stricken with a dull pain. I thought at the moment I just happened to fall into an uncomfortable position, but it continued over the next few days, ranging from an aching nuisance to a stabbing, throbbing jab in my neck.

I finally went to the chiropractor last week and have had adjustments every other day since then. When I first went in I kind of imagined that the guy would work some magic with his fingers, painlessly pop my vertebrae into place, and I'd be fixed. Instead this is a month long procedure of minor day-to-day improvements.

And I'm certain that this guy has years of training and education behind his actions, but his adjustments are somewhat lacking in finesse. He basically rubs a little here and there, thumps a good one on my spine, and then twists my neck around until he hears it pop.

It's quite difficult for me to relax when my head is in his hands. The chiropractor is surprisingly confident in my neck's range of motion. Not in my most ambitious moments have I ever tried to twist my neck as far as he does for me.

Anyway, I'm curious what to expect. Has anyone else had experiences they could share?

I don't care for them, and feel it's a lot of "quackery". I had a severe back spasm some time ago, and went to one nearby. Made me feel *slightly* better just after seeing him, so I went back. 3 more visits (I believe it was nearly $100 a visit), and there was no real improvement. I got the distinct impression he would keep doing the same adjustments (with his little spring-loaded clicker) for years to come, until I ran out of money.

I saw a real doc, got some muscle relaxers, and in a week was fine again. I've never gone back to the Chiro again.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Ryan - Go and see if you can get a good swedish or aromatherapy massage. That'll sort out any muscular problems that you could possibly have, as well as releasing any trapped nerves etc.

As for chiropractors, they do work, but they certainly shouldn't be hitting your back in any way shape or form, its all about applying pressure, not hitting.

You don't need a swedish or aromatherapy massage, you need a Deep Tissue or Stone massage. And if you DO continue to see your chiropractor, have your massage therapist get in touch with them to discuss a treatment plan.

Me, who IS marrying a massage therapist of 5 years.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

The Bear - several members of my family are complimentary therapists, one of whom is a lecturer on several of the different types of massage.

Swedish massage works perfectly in conjunction with chiropractic adjustments. Whereas deep tissue/stone massages are for relaxing tired/worn muscles.
    A hot-stone or deep tissue massage would enhance the healing process yes, but will not help as directly as a swedish massage would.

Talking with my fiancee about this... we're gonna have to agree to disagree, lol

Swedish massage, while beneficial, will not get to the deep roots of a long term injury, whereas a stone massage/flaxseed heated pillow and then deep tissue massage would address a longer term injury better.

Swedish massage might be more applicable for injuries that are 24-72 hours or so old, however, again, with injuries over an extended period of time, they tend to go deeper into the body, as I said.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

I've just pulled out some reference books off the shelf, and this I've found in most of them, and on a lot of websites:

Swedish massage has benefits including:
    - Enhancements to and maintenance of chiropractic adjustments

I know that deep tissue massage can also have benefits, its just that according to what I know of the subject (which granted won't be as much as your fiancee), and what I'm reading in these reference books is that swedish massage is EXTREMELY beneficial to a chiropractic tratement.

I go to a chiropractor quite often, three of my uncles are chiropractors aswell as my grandpa. I'm also going to school to become one.

It does take time to get it all back to normal, it's a non-pill form of treatment.