Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    atwebhosting.com - Rus is in the UK

I would also suggest Duport Online hosting in the UK.
    Compare the speed of your web host with 2,000+ (!) other submitted web hosts

http://www.hostingspeeds.com/

Does the company have to be UK-based with servers in the UK or can the company be UK-based with servers in the USA or anywhere else for that matter outside the UK?
    Tim K
    CyberHostUK - Reliable, Affordable Web Hosting

Originally posted by cyberhostuk
    Does the company have to be UK-based with servers in the UK or can the company be UK-based with servers in the USA or anywhere else for that matter outside the UK?
    If I was paying UK prices, I'd expect to be on a UK server.

My 2 cents.

I have a site with nethosted and it has not been a happy experience. Lots of downtime.

I am using a reseller account from clook.net since January, 2004. They provide good uptime and suport.

Do they take backups? and if so, how often? Any phone support?

nethosted do not have telephone support

Never rely on any one else for backups, especially a reseller. It doesn't matter how reputable they are, it's your data they're backing up not their own so it's not them that loses it all when the sever goes down and their backups wont restore.
    Work out a way of backing it all up your self and then test it.

I have sites on hostroute.co.uk and that is working out well, but they do not have phone support either

Originally posted by paulrd
    Do they take backups? and if so, how often? Any phone support?
    I think they don't offer phone support. I have contacted them only a few times and each time by using a support ticket.

and here is what they say about backups on their site:

From http://www.clook.net/support/presales.php

We backup all files on the servers each night to a separate hard drive with daily and weekly archives stored (and in some cases monthly). However, customers are advised to regularly download their own backups from the daily archives provided in the control panel.
    I also strongly suggest not relying on the backups made by the hosting companies. Always keep a local backup of your sites with you.

Agee one shouldn't rely on hosting companies for backup, but whenever there's a crash or the server gets screwed up or hacked into, it's awfully useful if the hosting company restores files, databases, user accounts, file permissions, rather than me having to do so.

Clook are very fast on ticket support, so phone support is usually not required (whereas with 1&1 it can be the only way to get a support request answered - to any degree).

With one host I found that when my sites went down, so did the host's own site - so there was then no way to contact them.

If a host won't give you a phone number - except for sales - what is one to think? That when there's a problem, they really don't want you phoning up?

Clook host their support forums and website in different locations, and I believe they also offer a free address on the .info domain to ensure they can keep a point of contact open with clients if the main server network goes down. Good redundancy planning.

clook.net is UK based with servers based in the UK and USA.

While they do not offer phone support their forums and helpdesk offer fast, friendly and knowledgeable support.

Why do you need phone support?
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

It is much easier to discuss a technical or billing problem, where you can have several interactions within a minute, rather than to-ing and fro-ing via a ticket system, where each interaction takes (say) half an hour if you're very lucky, and usually much longer.

If a host makes it impossible to phone them, what is one to think?

Latest on nethosted: "apache has only crashed once today that I'm aware of so progress is being made".

Originally posted by paulrd
    It is much easier to discuss a technical or billing problem, where you can have several interactions within a minute, rather than to-ing and fro-ing via a ticket system, where each interaction takes (say) half an hour if you're very lucky, and usually much longer.

If a host makes it impossible to phone them, what is one to think?

Latest on nethosted: "apache has only crashed once today that I'm aware of so progress is being made".
    What you have to remember is that most good quality hosting companies run with very few staff. It's the actual tecchies that answer and resolve support tickets, not a call centre operator who's diagnosing your problem via the companies troubleshooting software.

Clook's support is second to none and it's not very often that you will to and fro very much with support tickets. Typically for me at least the only replies I make are to say Thanks!

Every minute you spend on the phone to a tecchy it's another minute he/she could have been resolving the problem.

If you want telephone support you will probably end up at one of the big "corporate" companies who have call centres.

I know of plenty of reliable web hosts with good reputations located in the UK.

www.hostroute.co.uk and www.unitedhosting.co.uk are just two...

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

Originally posted by bluedreamer

Every minute you spend on the phone to a tecchy it's another minute he/she could have been resolving the problem.

Every minute I spend on the phone to a techie is 30 minutes saved in resolving the problem.

I just want the option of phoning.

I take the point you make about call centres.

Originally posted by phpcoder
    Just be aware that their servers are in the US, so if you are looking for a host with servers in the UK they wouldn't be suitable for you

However, if you are ok with a US server then I am sure Matt's team over there will take care of you!
    Correction: We do now offer all customers a choice of hosting location, UK is now available
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Having a phone number is I guess a bit of a luxury and gives you some extra confidence. I've been with a few hosts over the years but rarely used phone support when available.

there again with a good host you shouldn't need support very often!

Whilst we prefer our customers to use email support and ticket support there is phone number's supplied to every customer 2 different numbers one been a 24/7 emergency number.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12