Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Apologies for repost but WHERE are reliable UK hosts?

Sorry folks,

I posted asking for your patience and good advice for a UK BASED web host, not a dedicated server. We simply don't have the time to deal with our own server.

Just to briefly recap:

We are a busy design company: 1 gig space needed. 20 gigs/ month Bandwidth required. Large but straight to the point website, no complex tools needed, bog standard html.

I see lots and lots of recommendations for US based hosts (site5 dreamhost etc etc), but we are looking for a UK based host which gets anywhere near the standard of the best US sites, but also have a traceable POSTAL ADDRESS and a live TELEPHONE line.

We are prepared to pay a slight premium for these two facilities (yes folks...apparently having an address to post to and an actual telephone line is considered "premium" nowadays .....wondering why but there we are).

Does ANY UK web host deliver:

RELIABILTY
    SERVICE
    GOOD UPTIME
    INTELLIGENT AND TIMELY TELEPHONE SUPPORT

Surely these very basic qualities can't be that rare? From reading through pages of this site it appears they don't exist. Please surprise me!

BTW to emphasise again, we really do not want a server, we want a first generation host which provides a simple, reliable service (not a re-seller please).

I would be so grateful for a truly independent recommendation.

Thanks again for your patience and generosity!

Frobisher

ok, what buget are you talking here.
    i would avoid fasthosts and 1&1, they are not that good.

also do a search on the host, and also send some pre sale emails, test the support.

these hosts are few but around.

you could try the host quote feature ound at the top of this page also.
    E:magineHosts (Department Of E:magine Limited)
    emagine the possibilities
    Aaron - CTO, founder & Director Of Technical Support/Customer Support/Technology of E:magine Limited
    Windows,Linux, VPS Hosting environments

Originally posted by E:magine - Aaron
    ok, what buget are you talking here.
    i would avoid fasthosts and 1&1, they are not that good.

also do a search on the host, and also send some pre sale emails, test the support.

these hosts are few but around.

you could try the host quote feature ound at the top of this page also.
    Thanks for that. I hadn't spotted the host quote feature. Good idea. So far I'm trawling for reviews and then logging on to recommended hosts to survey the scene. But so far it's not good. The UK hosts seem positively primitive and way behind even the mediocre US ones.

Budget: well the average monthly cost it seems is around $15 to $19 per month for decent hosts, but we'll pay a little more for a UK based one that can match the likes of Site 5 and Dreamhost.

I have yet to find a UK site with anything approaching these on reputation, service, bandwidth or reliability. It seems the world and his UK dog are climbing on the hosting bandwagon but the quality is very poor.

Still hoping before throwing in towel and moving across the Altlantic.

Frobisher

i can recommend redfoxhosting.com

Stay away from 1and1 that’s the only advice from me.

There are quite a few great webhosts in the UK that have addresses and telephone numbers, for example:

kdawebservices.com
    4dhosting.com
    securahosting.com

If you want to get more information about UK hosts, then you could try forums such as :

communityforum.me.uk
    forum2.co.uk/forums/

Which are geared more for the UK audience and finally to search for uk hosts, then you could try hostsearch.co.uk.

I hope you have better luck this time around.

Thanks for those links. Appreciated!

What about unitedhosting.co.uk?
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

Originally posted by The Bear
    What about unitedhosting.co.uk?
    I looked at this one. Admirable site I'm sure but for us not enough bandwidth or space. Otherwise seemed fine.

Have you looked at clook.net ? I have seen them recommended around here.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Originally posted by FHDave
    Have you looked at clook.net ? I have seen them recommended around here.
    Yes we have and they are currently very high on our list after proving themselves to be very quick in their reponse to our enquiries and seem to have a very impressive client list willing to give them excellent feedback.

Thanks for confirming that they appear to be recommended by many here too.

Frobisher

frobisher look and search, check sigs of people who reply here, noone is allowed to reccomend themself.
    Chris Collins
    Hostingfreak.net
    Directadmin Hosting in europe
    www.hostingfreak.net

Use unitedhosting.co.uk

Originally posted by markjut
    Use unitedhosting.co.uk
    Just be aware that their servers are in the US, so if you are looking for a host with servers in the UK they wouldn't be suitable for you

However, if you are ok with a US server then I am sure Matt's team over there will take care of you!

Check out Reyaltec - www.reyaltec.com

They are based in the UK and have a number of UK servers. Have been hosting with them for over a year and found their support excellent. Previous hosts (fasthosts) were unreliable with extremly poor customer service. 1and1 are located in Germany I beleive, not the UK.

Reyaltec also have good customer feedback reports on .net magazine forums, and www.host-search.co.uk, both you will find people who rate reyaltec highly.

I have a number of sites hosted there, ranging from flash movies to asp scripting, and have never experienced any problems. Also have excellent bandwidth.

frobisher,

www.nethosted.co.uk . They could be a right solution for you, because they are cheaper than Clook.net and perfectly match your budget and your needs. As far as I know their servers are located at Coreix data-center.

Take a look also at www.ukhost4u.co.uk
    Last edited by Fulk; 07-31-2005 at 12:38 PM.

I recommend OrchardHosting.com, they are UK based with servers in London. I've been using them for 2 years now and only needed to submit a support ticket when I changed my contact details. Never needed any other support. (their main website is ran off a donhost server, but they have 4 of their own servers at a London datacentre)

I have had a managed vps with Kualo (in London) for about 6 months. Service has been above average.

Only downtime (a scheduled virtuozzo upgrade) was dealt with professionally and communication was exceptional. They have servers in Tampa, FL and also UK.

Call them & get a quote before signing up!

Originally posted by jiarby
    I have had a managed vps with Kualo (in London) for about 6 months. Service has been above average.
    My experience with Kualo has been quite the opposite and I would NOT recommend them to anyone else!

Bengal,

There was a problem on a VPS server a few months ago after a scheduled upgrade that went bad but the communication about the status of the repair was very good.

I have also opened a few support tickets now & then and have always received a response within 15 minutes.

my opinion is that ANYONE can be a good host when things are going great but you can tell a GREAT host when things go bad...

When the crapola hits the fan a GREAT host communicates keeps you updated with status reports & works hard to resolve the problems. They also develop a plan to prevent it from happening again.

I have been in IT Operations for 10 years, I know that RAID controllers fail, software upgrades get corrupted, and ^%$@& happens.

The measure of a GREAT host isn't whether or not a problem happens, but how it is dealt with when it does. I'm on a VPS there... I have no idea how their shared servers perform, but I recently renewed with Kualo.

TSO Host located in the UK has pretty good speed results.

I have no information about their support yet, as no reviews have been posted yet.
    Compare the speed of your web host with 2,000+ (!) other submitted web hosts

http://www.hostingspeeds.com/

I am currently with register1.net and recommend them highly. Their uptime and support is superb.

The only downside with them is that they run php in safemode and I am wanting to update my sites using mambo which doesn't like safemode.

As a result I am moving server, but if it wasn't for this, I would not even contemplate moving.

If you don't have any php scripts that don't like safemode enabled then seriously consider them.

I also have some webspace with dream-hosting.co.uk their uptime is good and they always answer e-mails and give help and advice when needed...quite inexpensive aswell. I have the gold account with them but if you need more bandwidth you can buy more.

Originally posted by philonous
    I also have some webspace with dream-hosting.co.uk their uptime is good and they always answer e-mails and give help and advice when needed...quite inexpensive aswell. I have the gold account with them but if you need more bandwidth you can buy more.
    dream-hosting's servers are in the US, not the UK.

Originally posted by LEEnoble
    dream-hosting's servers are in the US, not the UK.
    when I did a whois search on them this came up:

Registrant's Address:
    29 Consulate House
    Canute Road
    Southampton
    Hampshire
    SO14 3FW
    GB

Originally posted by philonous
    when I did a whois search on them this came up:

Registrant's Address:
    29 Consulate House
    Canute Road
    Southampton
    Hampshire
    SO14 3FW
    GB
    Yes, the company is UK based, but their servers are in the US. If I remember currectly, the topic poster wanted UK based servers?
    Last edited by LEEnoble; 08-20-2005 at 12:46 PM.

atwebhosting.com - Rus is in the UK

I would also suggest Duport Online hosting in the UK.
    Compare the speed of your web host with 2,000+ (!) other submitted web hosts

http://www.hostingspeeds.com/

Does the company have to be UK-based with servers in the UK or can the company be UK-based with servers in the USA or anywhere else for that matter outside the UK?
    Tim K
    CyberHostUK - Reliable, Affordable Web Hosting

Originally posted by cyberhostuk
    Does the company have to be UK-based with servers in the UK or can the company be UK-based with servers in the USA or anywhere else for that matter outside the UK?
    If I was paying UK prices, I'd expect to be on a UK server.

My 2 cents.

I have a site with nethosted and it has not been a happy experience. Lots of downtime.

I am using a reseller account from clook.net since January, 2004. They provide good uptime and suport.

Do they take backups? and if so, how often? Any phone support?

nethosted do not have telephone support

Never rely on any one else for backups, especially a reseller. It doesn't matter how reputable they are, it's your data they're backing up not their own so it's not them that loses it all when the sever goes down and their backups wont restore.
    Work out a way of backing it all up your self and then test it.

I have sites on hostroute.co.uk and that is working out well, but they do not have phone support either

Originally posted by paulrd
    Do they take backups? and if so, how often? Any phone support?
    I think they don't offer phone support. I have contacted them only a few times and each time by using a support ticket.

and here is what they say about backups on their site:

From http://www.clook.net/support/presales.php

We backup all files on the servers each night to a separate hard drive with daily and weekly archives stored (and in some cases monthly). However, customers are advised to regularly download their own backups from the daily archives provided in the control panel.
    I also strongly suggest not relying on the backups made by the hosting companies. Always keep a local backup of your sites with you.

Agee one shouldn't rely on hosting companies for backup, but whenever there's a crash or the server gets screwed up or hacked into, it's awfully useful if the hosting company restores files, databases, user accounts, file permissions, rather than me having to do so.

Clook are very fast on ticket support, so phone support is usually not required (whereas with 1&1 it can be the only way to get a support request answered - to any degree).

With one host I found that when my sites went down, so did the host's own site - so there was then no way to contact them.

If a host won't give you a phone number - except for sales - what is one to think? That when there's a problem, they really don't want you phoning up?

Clook host their support forums and website in different locations, and I believe they also offer a free address on the .info domain to ensure they can keep a point of contact open with clients if the main server network goes down. Good redundancy planning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast