Brand vs Product

I was reading the new issue of Inc just now, and in a topic, they mentioned Jelsoft Enterprises and Lewis Media. It took me a few seconds before I knew that they were talking about vBulletin and Simple Machines, respectively.

So, do you market your brand or product?

Discuss.

I have no idea what Inc is but If I hear Jelsoft I automatically think of vBulletin. If that helps at all!

It's a business magazine.

You may think of vBulletin, but I was trying to take the perspective of people who read Inc.

I was just saying that I have no idea what branding Jelsoft does but I know they are the developers of vB Even though I have never read any offline publications mentioning them. Ok, maybe not relevent!

Brand -> Product

The best way to do it would be to make your product into a well recognized brand. Examples: scotch tape, band aid, post it, jell-o and a million other products.

Interesting point--sort of like how people ask if I have an iPod, rather than a harddrive music player.

Well if I heard Jelsoft, I would know it was vBulletin

You're a webdesigner, though, it's your job to know

Interesting discussion.

It is the product that reinforces the brand. An excellent product boosts recall that puts your brand on the customers' minds.

For instance, I would normally remember vBulletin more than JelSoft. I would normally remember Post-It than 3M.

However, it is also important to have a different campaign just for the brand alone.

I remember a local TV ad here that showcases several products from snacks to anything. And at the end it says, Jack n' Jill. It was a surprise for me to realize that those products are actually Jack n' Jill's. I am fully aware of Chippy though which is a Jack n' Jill product.

Brand recognition is a very important aspect of the whole marketing campaign. An effective brand campaign will lead to three things: (1) Customers learn to differentiate your products from the rest. (2) Customers prefer your product from similar products. (3) Customers associate quality with the brand and are willing to absorb higher pricing.

We hope that helps.

We wish you well!

I help entrepreneurs develop online branding. I value my clients and build relationships. I am a friend.
    Let me assist you with your website design, logo design and other graphics needs.
    Ganah Solutions, a brand creation agency. Solidify your brand. Connect your business.

Does anybody still give a rat's (_!_) about UBB?

Originally posted by DanX
    Interesting point--sort of like how people ask if I have an iPod, rather than a harddrive music player.
    That's the same as folks saying to google it.

You have your brand, and then you have smaller brands (products) that belong to that brand. Just think of Microsoft and Windows. Microsoft is the company name, and main brand, and then you have its flagship product, Windows, which also has huge brand awareness.

In the world of hosting, we don't really create brands from our products/services. The company name is the brand, and that's what gets promoted mostly.

You also have companies out there that own dozens of household brands, yet you might not even know the company's name, yet you know their brands. That's because they market their products as stand alone brands, with no noticeable connection back to the company that owns them.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Your brand is both your name and product you sell. They are one in the same. If your brand name suffers so will the sales of your brand products. If your branded product suffers so will the image of your branded name. You must spend an equal amount of time promoting both of these. One without the other can be detrimental to your overall business. When you think of a company such as Rockstar you think of GTA and vice versa. That is balanced branding. They are one in the same.

Originally posted by managedsolutions
    Your brand is both your name and product you sell. They are one in the same. If your brand name suffers so will the sales of your brand products. If your branded product suffers so will the image of your branded name. You must spend an equal amount of time promoting both of these. One without the other can be detrimental to your overall business. When you think of a company such as Rockstar you think of GTA and vice versa. That is balanced branding. They are one in the same.
    Yes, but how does that equate back to the hosting business?
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Vigin is a good example of a company that promotes both the brand and the product in the same name.

Hoover done very well by turning their name into a generic term for a vacuum cleaner

How many of you buy Uncle Bens rice and relate to it being a Mars company product ? The same for Whiskas cat food and Pedigree dog food, both mars companys but promoted in such a way that the product becomes a brand in their own right.