Hong Kong Attacks

Just got brute forced about 6000 times from one server in Hong Kong, i love ATF with BFD. Anyone else see some attacks from Hong Kong?
    Neil McGeehan
    Reseller Web Hosting - At YouGotHosting, we provide affordable, reliable, dependable web hosting.
    Providing quality service since 2002

Re: Hong Kong Attacks

Originally posted by yghosting
    Just got brute forced about 6000 times from one server in Hong Kong, i love ATF with BFD. Anyone else see some attacks from Hong Kong?
    Did the server that attacked you specifically represent Hong Kong in some manner (eg. www.hongkong.com)? If not, why bother posting? Theres hundreds of thousands of brute force attempts *every day* and none of them generally warrant a WHT thread dedicated to them.
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

Sorry I bothered you.....I don't know why I posted it, just felt like it because it was a large attack. And it was from a University in Hong Kong, most likely a hacked box.

cheer up pal
    Neil McGeehan
    Reseller Web Hosting - At YouGotHosting, we provide affordable, reliable, dependable web hosting.

We had from Pakistan adn Netherlands, but protected by cisco and softwares

Korea/China quite often.

Its funny to see them try and get in, when they would never get the user/pass in a million years. BFD owns them pretty bad then they just give up.

Losers.

they would never get the user/pass in a million years.

I won't said that if I was you. There's nothing online that is 100% protected.
    Support@TranWeBHost.com
    TranWebHost.com - Under Construction

Originally posted by intek
    Korea/China quite often.

Its funny to see them try and get in, when they would never get the user/pass in a million years. BFD owns them pretty bad then they just give up.

Losers.
    Not to burst your bubble, but if people can crack 56bit DES encryption in days why do you think it would take a million years to guess your user/pass?
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

China was a common one I've heard about. Most foreign countries seem to be a main culprit on the forums.

Although, it probably occurs from the United States just as much.
    GenerousWebHosting.com Home of Generous George the Red Monster.
    24/7 Live Chat Support - 99.9% Uptime - 30 Day Money Back Policy

Originally posted by trau
    Not to burst your bubble, but if people can crack 56bit DES encryption in days why do you think it would take a million years to guess your user/pass?
    maybe because of the speed/frequency limitations when brute forcing a box's login prompt.

if i can get a shadow file off somebodys box maybe I could "guess" their password in a few days depending, that doesn't mean I could do it remotely, even if they didn't notice what was going on once /var/log filled up.
    Kevin

Originally posted by generouswebhostin
    China was a common one I've heard about. Most foreign countries seem to be a main culprit on the forums.

Although, it probably occurs from the United States just as much.
    Agreed.
    Neil McGeehan

Originally posted by HP-Kevin
    maybe because of the speed/frequency limitations when brute forcing a box's login prompt.

if i can get a shadow file off somebodys box maybe I could "guess" their password in a few days depending, that doesn't mean I could do it remotely, even if they didn't notice what was going on once /var/log filled up.
    Brute force is not the only way to gain control of someones box. Every OS has flaws, virtually every program, every script, have flaws. Someone that has the skills and desire will get in. Granted, if you do a good job hardening your OS and securing your server you make it more difficult, hopefully difficult enough that someone will give up and look for easier pickings. But to say that in a million years it couldn't be done is just plain ridiculous.
    Kind of reminds me of years back when some people thought that their choice of OS was impervious to virus attack and therefore virus protection was unneeded.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

well, i have had many attacks come from government networks and universities and such in canada and US just as much as forien.

As for china, I'm surprised the great firewall of china allows any of this to cross.
    Kevin

how great is the great firewall of china?

hehe, let me go see
    Neil McGeehan

Arrow

ok slight exaduration.

We use an encoding script (protected by most name searching dictionary scripts) that will toss the password up 3 or 4 times create an access key and then again encode the password.

Maybe not a million years but they will be sat there quite a good weeks at least , But knowing these idiots they probably have more time on there hands than me and you.

P.S www.yougothosting.com << love the name.
    Last edited by intek; 07-30-2005 at 12:07 AM.

What is ATF and BFD?

BFD is brute force detection
    ATF is the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so when you get in and brute force with them, they come after you with tanks. 8)

ok slight exaduration.

We use an encoding script (protected by most name searching dictionary scripts) that will toss the password up 3 or 4 times create an access key and then again encode the password.

Maybe not a million years but they will be sat there quite a good weeks at least , But knowing these idiots they probably have more time on there hands than me and you.

if you leave your system open, and somebody can login by guessing your password in weeks, then your password sucks big time.
    Kevin

thanks intek
    Neil McGeehan