eBay, good bussiness move?

if i start selling some hosting on ebay will i improve on bussiness or not, what do you think?

I wouldn't do that. The reason is that you should always try to look professional.

Doing an auction on hosting it seems like you are soo desperate that don't know what else to do, and will sell at any price.
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com

i kind of agree with you actuly, another question, custom packages, good move or not?

Depends of your business model. I think you should really check what market you want to target.

Make a business plan, write everything and then stick with it and get it going.

Custom packages can be great if you are targeting a knowledgeable market that may need different needs each. But for the average having a set package works just fine.
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com

I'm going to start a bussiness plan, what should i offer, how much would they need?

That's what a business plan is for, to answer those questions before you start!

You already have a site up and plans offered so you must be headed somewhere...

But I too would suggest leaving eBay alone.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

Originally posted by DDT
    That's what a business plan is for, to answer those questions before you start!

You already have a site up and plans offered so you must be headed somewhere...

But I too would suggest leaving eBay alone.
    Agreed.

eBay is littered with unprofessionalism, look for other methods.
    Steve Lundy - Web Design GT
    Custom & Professional website design services.
    Find Out More!

I would avoid selling on eBay. Like they said above, it makes it look like you are desperate.

Custom packages are a good move. We do custom packages for people all of the time and they love it. It is hard to make shared or dedicated packages that work for everyones needs.

As a customer, I don't see myself looking for webhost on eBay. If you just aim at marketing the name, this could be a cheap tool to get the words out. But be careful what kind of image you're projecting.

That is a very good way to attract unwanted customer types. I have talked to other hosts that needed help getting rid of viruses, hackers, etc. from the customers on ebay. Alot of spammers like to find cheap hosting there because they can be kicked off of a host they are paying very little for, once their spam is sent they dont care.

Originally posted by gemcotechnologies
    That is a very good way to attract unwanted customer types. I have talked to other hosts that needed help getting rid of viruses, hackers, etc. from the customers on ebay. Alot of spammers like to find cheap hosting there because they can be kicked off of a host they are paying very little for, once their spam is sent they dont care.
    Good points.... never thought too much about that.

Also i dont think you would make much selling hosting on ebay its pretty plentyful these days.

Many industries sell stuff on ebay. I don't think it will make your site look less professional.

It's a great way to reach a different audience. Some people trust ebay more then many other sources and online fronts . If you have a great feedback score, I'm sure you could make it work for you.

Just don't make it seem like you are an Ebay Hosting company.
    GenerousWebHosting.com Home of Generous George the Red Monster.
    24/7 Live Chat Support - 99.9% Uptime - 30 Day Money Back Policy

Originally posted by wbpro
    I wouldn't do that. The reason is that you should always try to look professional.

Doing an auction on hosting it seems like you are soo desperate that don't know what else to do, and will sell at any price.
    Ill second that
    Stay away from ebay, Bussiness is slow putting stuff on ebay wont make you much more and may damage your bussiness model. Many of the people buying hosting off ebay are the type of customers you dont want.
    Regards

Ebay hosters are the equivalent of ambulance chasers...I'd stay away from that market.

Forget ebay.

Use webhosting forums such as this to sell your services. More people will look here than at your ad on ebay.

As long as you have the following your business will do well without ebay.

1) Good solid brand

2) Happy customers to give you loads of reviews

3) Competitive prices

4) A support service which can answer tickets in less then 1 hour

5) Good, marketed, advertising

Anybody who cant meet all of the above will have a tough time.

Have you taken into account the E-bay fees for listing with them?
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

I wouldnt do that. It does seem pretty desperate and unprofessional. Your a businiess trying to sell on another business. I dont even thing I would consider looking for hosting on ebay. It just seems too out there and cheap in a way.

Custom packages is a good idea.

Selling on eBay is not.

I agree on how advertising on eBay could damage your company image and how it may seem unprofessional.

However, there have been successful hosts that have utilized eBay. I remember years ago (Not exactly sure), TomSyer.net was an eBay'er.

They marketed their products on eBay quite extensively and did pretty well, as I recall.

Advertising on eBay should be fine, as long as you retain your professionalism and provide quality service/support.

As for Mizz Nicole's comment, selling your services on another business doesnt constitute being unprofessional; Every business uses another business to sell their services.

Whever I see companies selling hosting on ebay, I always think "cheap company".

Custom packages are nice though.

Trust Me, you do not want to sell anything to do with Websites on eBay, its a good place to buy but a BAD place to sell
    dont ask why!

Kijit Solutions

In my defense, I was refering to selling ones hosting business on ebay. I agree that every business uses another business to sell their services. How else would one advertise their business.
    Last edited by mizz nicole; 07-31-2005 at 05:14 PM.