Adding a user account to my server

I don't know if I'm describing this correctly, but what I want to do is add a user to my Windows Server 2003 Web Edition machine who can access the remote web interface when she goes to https://[server-name]:8098. I created a regular user account for her on the server, and she can log on with this account through the remote desktop program. But in order to use the remote desktop program, she needs to connect to the remote web interface first (via https://[server-name]:8098), and the only account that can be used to do this is my administrator account. I tried connecting with her regular user account but it rejected the authentication. This defeats the purpose of creating a regular user account for her since she needs to know my user name and password to connect to the remote web interface first, and thereby, not only have administrative powers within the remote web interface, but can log in through the remote desktop program using my user name and password.

There must be a way to configure her regular user account to log onto the remote web interface (and maintain restricted powers within it). Either that, or there must be a way to directly log onto the desktop remotely (bypassing the remote web interface). Are either one of these options possible?

What software is powering this remote interface, some sort of control panel?
    and what are you looking at?

Yes, it's like a helm. I don't know exactly what you call it (The IIS Help files calls it the "Remote Administration (HTML) Tool". Anyway, you log onto it from within your intranet by typing "https://[server-name]:8098" in the URL address field in your browser.

Right Click "My Computer", select Properties.

Go to the "Remote" tab. Click "Select Remote Users".

Add the username you want to allow access to.

Her user account is already listed. I added her to the list so that she would have remote access through the REMOTE DESKTOP utility. But she still cannot log onto the REMOTE WEB INTERFACE with her account. That's what I'm having trouble with.

Originally posted by gib65
    Her user account is already listed. I added her to the list so that she would have remote access through the REMOTE DESKTOP utility. But she still cannot log onto the REMOTE WEB INTERFACE with her account. That's what I'm having trouble with.
    Strange. I've never really had a need to play with the web interface but I assumed it was just a web based version of remote desktop and worked the same way.

It is, sort of, but you're limited to a very narrow range of administration functions. Logging onto REMOTE DESKTOP is one of these functions. Unfortunately she needs to logon using my username and password - an administrator account - before doing this.

Since the web interface for remote administration is only meant for remote administration anyone accessing it needs to have administrator rights on the server (or domain). Server2003 Web Edition doesn't support Terminal Services other than for administration. So to answer your question, No. There is no way for a restricted user to connect to the remote desktop of a Server2003 web edition (well you may be able to hack the registry to allow it).
    What is it you are trying to do that the user needs a remote desktop for? A web edition server is pretty limited, its designed to be a web server, thats all.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Have you tried just connecting with the Remote Desktop client? With that you just enter the server IP and then log in with her account - no web page access required.

Another option might be going to the properties of that site in IIS and adding her user into the security tab (I think) of that site.
    Steven Eppler
    Eppler Software Hosting
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable