My 1st Company(layeredtech) Complaint in after nearly 1000 posts!

Well LayeredTech really dropped the ball on this one.

24 hours for a OS re-load and still nothing. How can you let a server be down for over 24 hours and still make 0 progress on it?

What a joke. This started out as a test server and everything was well so I put customers on it. Then this happens.

The worst part is lack of response, at least keep me the customer informed what is going on.

If someone from LT reads this my ticket number is FPT-80676-947

Derrick
    ResellerEdge.com - High Quality Reseller/ Multiple Domain Hosting.

Reformats are treated as new server setups with LT, 24-72 hours

Have you bothered to give them a call about the issue? I was pretty satisfied with LayeredTech's staff in handling our server relocation issue after giving them a call to sort everything out with a live human, instead of having to write emails back and forth. However, we do not put any clients on our LT server - We will only place clients on semi-managed servers in datacenters where the techs are available over the phone 24/7.

Wow, just reached 2800 posts... way too many.
    Last edited by Joshua; 07-29-2005 at 08:31 AM.

My server down and still no replay from LT

Thumbs up

Originally posted by seeker2002
    My server down and still no replay from LT
    online after 15min ((Phone support))

And im supposed to have an OS reload today.LOL.ROFL even
    Gonna make some coffe and prepare for a 72 hours of wait and pain?

I'm not sure if LT has a phone number you can reach them at. That was the whole debate elsewhere (I read). Tickets it the only way you will get answered.

Sorry to hear about your mishap - I just bought a bunch of server from them! :|
    "I drink too much. The last time I gave a urine sample it had an olive in it. ".
    Rodney Dangerfield (from "I Get No Respect!").

Hello,

I show your reload was completed and details sent to your this morning at 10:30 AM CST (32 hours roughly since you requested the reload). There was a mistake on our part and your ticket was not updated with the new login details as a reply but a comment so you did not receive the details.

Regards,

Jeremy

I seems to me that when an existing customer orders an OS reload, the world should stop spinning to take care of the existing customer.

Now this OS Reload took 32 hours, which is 1 Day and 8 hours. I wonder how many NEW installs took place at LT in 1 Day and 8 hours.

It was this reason alone I quit leasing servers from dedicated providers. The last provider I had took 7 days. That pretty much ended it right there for me.
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

i think LT need a support system overhual. for example, i open a ticket regarding some issue about my windows box and two tech answer the same issue with somewhat different answers. why not have a support system that is not email based? i dunno, maybe i'm not use to it but i like theplanet's orbit system where everything is in one place.

PSFServers

We try to do all reloads in the 24 hours or less. We do have seperate staff for reloads and deploys and in this case it was a stupid mistake on our part for pressing 'comment' instead of 'reply-to' with the details.

jt2377

We do have a support portal at http://support.layeredtech.com which allows you to use either email based tickets or the online forms. You can also track the status of existing and past tickets if you need to reference them to a new tech. We have many techs so the chances of you speaking with the same one each time is not likely.

We will have a new portal up in the next 60 days or less with many new features. Please see our forums for more details.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Originally posted by LTADMIN
    ...in this case it was a stupid mistake on our part for pressing 'comment' instead of 'reply-to' with the details.
    I remember reading the same 'mistake' by LayeredTech recently elsewhere. Perhaps all updates to a ticket should be sent to the client to avoid this problem. Surely the clients (myself included) would appreciate such intermittent updates.

Originally posted by Yikes2000
    I remember reading the same 'mistake' by LayeredTech recently elsewhere. Perhaps all updates to a ticket should be sent to the client to avoid this problem. Surely the clients (myself included) would appreciate such intermittent updates.
    You only see the bad posts on WHT

If everytime somebody had a good month with LT they decided to start a thread about it you would start to see quite a few. People only posts threads when things go wrong.

*note* This is in NO WAY directed at the OP. He had a valid thread and I respect him as a member of the community *endnote*

If comments were sent to the client it would really ruin the feature. The whole point of a comment is to place a note on a thread for support staff to read, and not the client.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Jeremy, are your reload staff onsite 24/7 doing reloads? I noticed that someone doing our reloads was also taking care of our abuse issues. And from what I have seen abuse issues are only being handled business hours?

I believe 1 day for an OS reload is too much, they should be done in a matter of hours...

Originally posted by Shazan
    I believe 1 day for an OS reload is too much, they should be done in a matter of hours...
    A matter of hours is acceptable, but for Lt's prices I would not expect close to that. There is more to an OS reload than simply clicking a button in a control panel somewhere.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

I am happy I am not with layeredtech. That's not good. Having a server dead is like heart surgery, you should engage a professional provider. If layeredtech would response faster, I would definitely consider them for renting a new server.

I will likely not get any future servers through them. Overall the servers have been running great but I would rather spend quite a bit more and go with a better provider, similar to where I have the majority of my servers.

Derrick
    ResellerEdge.com - High Quality Reseller/ Multiple Domain Hosting.

Derrick,

You have a server with us via a reseller. Not direct with us. There was a mistake with our staff not getting the login details of your reload back to your reseller in under the 24 hours after the initial request.

This was resolved a few hours after you made your initial post here. We do treat all reloads as very important and work to get them done in a timely fashion. Due to the amount of reloads we get and custom disk layouts and other custom options these can take time for our staff to complete.

Regards,

Jeremy

Hi,

Derrick is our customer and this problem is now solved, the server was confirmed reloaded much earlier, by the time we logged in to the server, the uptime was already several hours. It is just unfortunate that the tech hit the comment and not the reply thus we are not informed. With our experience as I have said with Derrick, OS Reload with LT is ALWAYS done within 24 hours and sometime as fast as four hours.

Regards,
    Charles

@LTADMIN.
    I can understand that it takes 24 hours at min for an OS reload(hardly,but i can).
    All i want to ask here is that if:
    1.if you have a dual proc box for OS reload,usually you dont give a dime about smp support?IS that all customers trouble to compile his kernel?
    2.Making a 14 gb partition is your default setup for FreeBSD?And if this is the case,why?

It is true that you usually hear the bad over the good about a company, but layered tech does have a good reputation on many forums. One mistake even one such as this does not make a company bad. It is how they deal with the fallout and the satisfy the customer for their downtime that will determine their worth.

Originally posted by managedsolutions
    It is true that you usually hear the bad over the good about a company, but layered tech does have a good reputation on many forums. One mistake even one such as this does not make a company bad. It is how they deal with the fallout and the satisfy the customer for their downtime that will determine their worth.
    If they would have an uptime garantie of max. 2 hours downtime, than everything would be okay. LT is a good company anyway.

Unfortunately all companies at one time or another do not meet their uptime guarantee and as such they should compensate the customer per their guarantee or if not stated what this compensation is then they should compensate the customer with some type of reimbursment for their troubles and own customer downtime.

Originally posted by JarckYold
    If they would have an uptime garantie of max. 2 hours downtime, than everything would be okay. LT is a good company anyway.
    That'd be almost impossible. Not only with their client base..

But, also the fact that someone could mess around with something they aren't suppose to, screw their server up, leave it offline for 4 hours, and THEN report it.

Heck, we don't even know why the server went bad in this case. The Original poster never stated.

Its just something you can't "set a watch to."

When you have 1,000+ customers.. 1 can't take all the attention unfortunately.

I've been in the pre-sales stage for atleast 5 months. Regardless of the issue in this topic and other topics, I'll still be purchasing my server through LT.

You all have to remember, they are human too.

Originally posted by ScreamingEaglePC
    That'd be almost impossible. Not only with their client base..

But, also the fact that someone could mess around with something they aren't suppose to, screw their server up, leave it offline for 4 hours, and THEN report it.

Heck, we don't even know why the server went bad in this case. The Original poster never stated.

Its just something you can't "set a watch to."

When you have 1,000+ customers.. 1 can't take all the attention unfortunately.

I've been in the pre-sales stage for atleast 5 months. Regardless of the issue in this topic and other topics, I'll still be purchasing my server through LT.

You all have to remember, they are human too.
    Hey, I would also buy from layeredtech anyway. It's just if you have a company that makes a few thousands of $$$ every day, then I would stay with rackspace, because a day off-line would be harder than paying premium price.

But you're definitely right, if the server company is getting maybe 30$ for hosting you a month, you should not expect a personal hoster-sitter

Originally posted by LTADMIN
    Derrick,

There was a mistake with our staff not getting the login details of your reload back to your reseller in under the 24 hours after the initial request.

This was resolved a few hours after you made your initial post here. We do treat all reloads as very important and work to get them done in a timely fashion. Due to the amount of reloads we get and custom disk layouts and other custom options these can take time for our staff to complete.

Regards,

Jeremy
    I really wish you would solve these issues. Unlike some I do understand 'self managed' so that is not the problem.

I got better support from 1&1. ITS TRUE! Please sort out your ticket system.

I seem to be going round in circles now. Do you guys even read replies to tickets???
    I will not be replying to any more tickets. I will just email sales@ as that is the only way to get a reply.

I know this has been said before but it would seem that a lot of techs read the first line of the ticket and forget the rest.

I do like layeredtech and will be staying with them, but I do hope they sort out their service levels. Even for un managed they take the piss a little bit.

Alan

I really can't belive the comments I have just had from a member of staff at LT !!!!

Edit: perhaps I missunderstood......
    Last edited by Hosting_Reserve; 07-31-2005 at 04:47 PM.

Originally posted by Hosting_ReserveUK
    I really can't belive the comments I have just had from a member of staff at LT !!!!

Edit: perhaps I missunderstood......
    Hosting_ReserveUK, I recommend you take the day off this topic, catch your breath, and take the time to think a little more clearly.

Insinuations about how they handle tickets, are not to be stated, and should be reconciled without merit.

Just take a moment, think about everything clearly. While you're doing that.

Think about things from your perspective
    Think about things from LT's perspective

I think you may find a little better understanding that way. And yes, I think you did just mis-interpret his response.

People are prone to their mistakes. Money or not, it happens. We aren't automated to do everything the right way. We sometimes use the trial and error when things don't sound right.

And maybe the support staff were just trying to narrow down their options.

Just take a moment, gather your thoughts. You might be pleasantly suprised.

I am pretty sure it was a genuine misunderstanding both ways, as I have so far had nothing but good support from LT

I don't like the system they use and do think it needs changing but the staff have been good so far.

Alan