Starting Web hosting Business in uk ??

Starting Web hosting Business in uk ??

Hi

i like to start my own web hosting business ? but before i go and spend my hard earn cash i thorugh i might aswell ask you experinced lot on here?

I only have few basic questions :

1. Should i buy a reseller account in the UK or USA ?

2. How many sales did you lot get in your first month ?

3. How much money did people start off to get their web hosting business going ?

4.Say if i buy reselling account how would my customer purchase their domains and a search the uk whois database ?

5.Should i go with the following accounts :

Sonnet Hosting
    R1
    * 1GB disk space
    * 15GB monthly data transfer
    * Host unlimited domains
    * Personal nameservers
    * Simple to upgrade
    * More...
    * 12.99 / monthly

Or this one from ukhos4u

1GB Web Space per domain
    25GB Monthly Transfer per domain
    cPanel Control Interface
    Unlimited Parked Domains
    Unlimited POP Emails
    Unlimited Email Forwarding
    Unlimited Email Auto Responders
    Unlimited Email Aliases
    Unlimited FTP Accounts
    Unlimited Sub Domains
    Unlimited My SQL Databases
    Web-based Email
    24/7 Technical Support
    39.99 PER MONTH (Bit out of my budget )

Could any Suggest any other resellers based in the Uk who are offering a cheap start up reselling account ???

thanks - i know i got long way 2 go .

P.S HOW MANY PEOPLE RUN THEIR BUSINESS FROM HOME ?

Thread moved to Running a Web Hosting Business.

It depends on your target market. If you focus on selling to UK customers who in their turn target UK audiences, it might be a good idea to get UK based hosting.
    Last edited by ldcdc; 07-29-2005 at 07:49 AM.

But whats the best resellers account in the uk for person looking start web hosting business ?

Just don't order from fasthosts.co.uk!!!

Avoid expensive and cheap. Avoid unlimited space, bandwidth and domains.

And check if you can oversell. If you can't, 1 GB of space will only allow you to sell 10x100MB accounts.
    Lookup your IP: snoopmyip.com
    Proxy Guide: proxyspot.com

I bought one from varhosting.net, it's american hosting but i am selling in the UK.

2. How many sales did you lot get in your first month ?

Nothing - you have to advertise before you get sales, which i didn't do in the first month

3. How much money did people start off to get their web hosting business going ?

100-300 was what i started with.

4.Say if i buy reselling account how would my customer purchase their domains and a search the uk whois database ?

Setup with your billing software to work in conjunction with Enom [www.enom.com] or directi [www.directi.com].

5.Should i go with the following accounts :

Go with whatever you fell happier paying for and the above comment by EU1net is a very sensible comment.
    Managing Director - RedMango Hosting
    Email: [email protected] Phone: 07005 963 480

chambersinternet ,Eu1net Thanks

Do i need a 25-30 page long business plan for resellers account ?

i think i am going to go with ukhost4u

1GB per client
    25GB bandwidth per client
    plus other features

40 a month is that too much ?

how will i bill my customers do i have go buy mordernbill and is their any opensource billing appliaction out their ?

Who are you selling to? US people are fussy about better UK servers (sorry about patiotism) where as UK people will get US hosting...but if your aiming for English and European people I'd get the UK reseller

2. How many sales did you lot get in your first month?

Not relivent to you, depends if you don't advertise maybe one or two...even none, with a bit of advertising in good places who knows...the world is your oyster - or something like that.

Like chambersinternet a few hundred quid would do nicely!

Also, I'd say both reseller accounts are very expensive...you could get hosted for a fraction of that. Heck, 40 would get you a 20GB VPS!

Do i need a 25-30 page long business plan for resellers account ?

You don't need it, but most companies fail without it...a little work to secure your investment

i think i am going to go with ukhost4u

1GB per client
    25GB bandwidth per client
    plus other features

40 a month is that too much ?

I'd say it is!! I'd expect support questions answered in 3 seonds and the server to be up 110% of the month!

how will i bill my customers do i have go buy mordernbill and is their any opensource billing appliaction out their ?

PHPCOIn in fantastico is an opensource one...never used it. I hear it's good to start with.
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

What host to go 4 ?

affordahost - cheers mate

could you tell some good uk host that i can buy resellers account

i am looking for around about 2GB 20-30GB Bandwidth or any high entry level resellers account with cpanel whM and the with fantastico.

Also, I'd say both reseller accounts are very expensive...you could get hosted for a fraction of that. Heck, 40 would get you a 20GB VPS!
    Would handling a VPS be easy require a lot of work to set up provide hosting from it ???

What are the best reseller hosting companys in the UK ?

thanks mate

Re: What host to go 4 ?

i am looking for around about 2GB 20-30GB Bandwidth or any high entry level resellers account with cpanel whM and the with fantastico.
    Just remember that you pay for what you get! If you are purchasing a UK reseller account expect to pay a bit more than you would for a US based account. And again, remember that you pay for what you get

Would handling a VPS be easy require a lot of work to set up provide hosting from it ???
    No, its not hard to setup if it has cPanel/WHM or another control panel. However, you also need to be able to find/fix problems, apply security updates, upgrade software, etc. These type of things require you to know a good deal of system admin work.

If you are looking for a VPS server you might want to get a managed server to start or hire a system admin. However, I would suggest you just start with a reseller account and work your way up the ladder.

What are the best reseller hosting companys in the UK ?
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php

Cheers

Billing software: check if it's VAT compliant. And find a billing software that will suit you in 2 or 3 years time. It's not something you can change easily, because you'll have to input manually 100, 200, 300... clients!
    Lookup your IP: snoopmyip.com
    Proxy Guide: proxyspot.com

thanks phpcoder affordahost Eu1net

cheers

Hey there,

Simple steps...
    1) Design, Name and Plan out your web hosting business
    2) Research, this is the key to success... I mean don't set out to fail, make sure your earning profit as soon as you can, so you must have affordable but profitable packages.
    3) Budget, I'm in the UK I run a web host from home, but hire people worldwide for support, so when I'm in bed they can respond to tickets, etc... so running from home is fine... you just make you use a US host so you get a better deal, the UK have heavy TAX (VAT is 17.5%) so US companies work out cheaper in most cases.
    4) Make sure you have 3+ packages, people like the ability to choose and have the freedom.
    5) Sort out a decent uptime, and get some good friends to test it all out for you.
    6) Don't plunge with a start-up budget, If your getting an amercian VPS for $50/month I'd say 100 so you have the first 4 months set out... and then another 100 for a banner or two, and some extras for your website.
    7) Launch at the right time, make no mistakes... plan out a christmas launch, or a january sales launch... and do it with a bang... you may want to spend some cash on advertising it.

- I suggest you give friends free packages to help you test things out, aswell as manage a stable network... you should also pay them to get customers for you like the affiliate programs... make it worth their while and you should get good turnouts.. from my msn contacts alone I have had about 400 signups making about 300/month which I paid my friends with free hosting, and about 300 worth of commission... so that's worth my while.

Go for it, don't be afraid your gonna get sued, because its fairly simple... just moniter, and strict terms and offer some good services!.. Goodluck! PM me if you need any help.

thanks oxyuk ! ive added you 2 my buddy list thanks mate !!!!

May an UK company accept payments via e-gold?

You should also consider how you plan to pick up customers. A little bit of time, effort and money spend on advertising will be well worth it in the end. Aiming locally might prove to be worthwhile.

Chris

Good posts! and all are really helpful!

UK Startups cant be easy when starting a web hosting business, thing is the time difference, when your going to bed at 11, in most of the Mainstream US Market its 6PM so they are coming home from work, spot a problem with their hosting account and when your only a startup (assumed), theres only you...lying in bed until (at least, but i enjoy longer) 7-8am. theyve waited 9 hours for a reply, and when you do send it, theyre probably in bed themselves, so they get it next morning.

So yes, id recommend hiring, as soon as profitability allows, hiring someone in the us to handle things when your not there, although theres no "personal touch" so to speak, it will help to lower your irate customers who just waited 13 hours for a reply

Happy Hunting!