cell phone support

Since support is the key in my eyes, would it be worth it for me to invest in a blackberry and offer aim/cellphone support when im away from my computer? (sorry if this is in the wrong forum)

I have 4 methods of support

1. contact form, after they submit it it rings my cellphone

2. they call my cell phone if its an URGENT matter or billing question/issue

3. web forum

4 support tickets

i personaly dont post my business phone # publicly on my site
    for many reasons..but i do give it to my clients so they can call if they wish to..

so to anwser you guestion..sure..grab a cell phone if it fits your needs and such..

Re: cell phone support

Originally posted by v3|dark
    Since support is the key in my eyes, would it be worth it for me to invest in a blackberry and offer aim/cellphone support when im away from my computer? (sorry if this is in the wrong forum)
    If you sell hosting, frankly you'd be a fool not to (unless you're not whatsoever serious about it). You should always have a monitoring configuration to page you, day or night, when something goes amiss with a given server. The blackberry offers the additional advantage of enabling you to login to the server remotely (ssh, wap, etc.) and potentially remedy the problem, or at the very least to respond to emails when the server goes down (along with allow for multiple levels of email, I turn mine to emergency-only at night, and all emails during the day when I wake up with a simple alias).

Do you recommend any programs that do this paging service? Also I had no idea a blackberry had the capabilities to remotely log into my server, are you sure about that?

Do you recommend any programs that do this paging service? Also I had no idea a blackberry had the capabilities to remotely log into my server, are you sure about that?
    try www.alertra.com

and yes, blackberries can SSH.

You can also email/ssh with most Palm-powered cell phones. I love my Treo750, best tool for a hosting company owner on the go
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

I wouldn't give out your cell phone number period. Go get yourself an 800 number instead.

Put it this way.. Do you really want a bunch of kids calling you at 3am saying they need a map installed?

contact form, after they submit it it rings my cellphone
    Thats very cool, is this a custom solution or?

I have been looking for helpdesk software that can alert using a call to my cell.
    Three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population

we use email to cell phones and all techs have sprint wireless data cards that in the event they are out of the office and someone in the office needs them to do something they can jump online and take care of it.

They're also great for when you have an outage at home and can't get online to work on anything

Originally posted by kelownatech
    Thats very cool, is this a custom solution or?

I have been looking for helpdesk software that can alert using a call to my cell.
    Kayako can do it with its gateway (clickatell)

Originally posted by keliix06
    You can also email/ssh with most Palm-powered cell phones. I love my Treo750, best tool for a hosting company owner on the go
    I hope you mean the treo650, else my 8 month old phone will be seeing the garbage sooner then expected
    Neosurge Web Services since 2002
    Neosurge VPS Hosting

If Support is your selling point, you should try to whatever necessary to help people in need. Going out of your way a tad is not the worst in the world, and if it becomes troublesome, you can always just turn it off. ;P

I think it is important to note the OP runs a game server business if I'm not mistaken.

If you have ever worked for a GSP you would know that indeed support is key but on the other hand having your cell phone ring at 3am with someone asking you what FTP is.. Well...

Besides the fact that once you reach a certain customer number it is very difficult to support via phone.. Not to mention if you have a staff how will you include them?

My advise is for sales/billing questions go with phone support but tech questions stick to a help desk..

Well X, I really have no problem with that happening, and also to note I will be going a different approach to the buisness. Instead of trying to expand as fast as possible, I would like to build up a strong list of loyal clients (starting out small with great support) that are geared towards the hardcore professional gamer.

Also thanks for the tips everyone

Cell phone support isn't a bad idea. It's a great way to start if you are small. I give out my cell # to all of our dedicated server clients in case they cannot get ahold of anyone else and they usually really like the idea. I think I have maybe gotten 1-2 calls ever.

answering service

Why not use an answering service? They can forward calls to your cell as necessary and you never have to give out the cell number. You can tell the service under which conditions they should take a message and when they should forward the call.

For example: 'if it is between 11 PM and 7 AM, take a message unless customer requests someone now, seems annoyed or says a server is not responding.'

That, combined with a server monitoring service that sends a text message when something is wrong, should allow you to offer good support without being unnecessarily interrupted. All that will cost less than $100/mo.

Re: cell phone support

Blackberry phones are the god-send of the century.

I maintain contact with everyone on staff that way and I cannot fathom using anything else.
    Adam Lawson - AQORN
    OpenStack Professional Services. Commercial Support. Open-Source Cloud Management
    Official OpenStack Foundation Member & Corporate Sponsor
    Our Clients: AT&T | Cisco | Juniper | SAP | Autodesk | SUSE | Ubuntu

Originally posted by Neosurge
    I hope you mean the treo650, else my 8 month old phone will be seeing the garbage sooner then expected
    Yes, that would be the 650.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

A little off topic but how do you like the Treo 650? And how would it benefit a hosting company?

Also does anyone have a 7100g blackberry? or would you recommend a palm instead.

how come nobody has mentioned the sidekick2?

it can't do as much as the crackberry's can, but it's just so easy to use.

Originally posted by X-Gaming
    A little off topic but how do you like the Treo 650? And how would it benefit a hosting company?
    The phone itself is decent, but palmOS sorta sucks in comparison to blackberry or windows CE. The problem with windows CE is there really isnt a solid phone out for it, so im using the treo untill a nice wince phone comes out.

SSH support, RDP, and .net connectivity are subpar on the palm OS. Other then that, it really is an invaluable tool and I use the hell out of the phone. Answering support tickets, RDP to remote pc's, SSH are pretty nice in a bind.
    Neosurge Web Services since 2002
    Neosurge VPS Hosting