How strict is your ISP about warez?

My friend and I were talking about BitTorrent, and he said that his ISP (Cox) emailed him with the name of the file he was downloading, which BT client he had, and a "delete this file or you'll be in trouble" notice.

Anyone else have an ISP that's starting to crack down on this stuff?

I wonder if it was the ISP that was monitoring his traffic or simply that one of the music / movie industry people filed an abuse report. I work for an ISP and we get those every now and again. It includes the IP address, date and time, and file being downloaded. The reports I've seen never included the Client version. That's new to me but isn't surprising.

I have an account with Comcast and they gleefully ignore all abuse requests. I file them on behalf of compromised machines, SPAM relays, etc., and those machines continue to stay online for months on end.

I know that Verizon fights any request for information from the music and movie folks and is fighting the RIAA in court over the release of their customer names.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

I'm pretty sure it was his ISP, he's pretty computer-literate and wouldn't mistake the email for someone else (unless someone forged the headers, but that's pushing it).

It's good that Verizon is fighting RIAA, though. I'd say more but I want to keep this on topic.

hmm, I've never gotten anything from Comcast, but they have sent me an abuse after I was proxy scanning.
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

SBC has yet to care about me downloading. And ive been warezin' it up ever since i got DSL from them over a year ago

(Cox)
    A buddy of mine is a fairly high up tech for Cox in the San Diego area, and I told him about this thread and this reply was, "yea.. I seriously doubt it"
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

RealtorHost: I would have gotten a copy of the headers, but I asked and he prunes his old mail.

Oh well.

I don't think he was asking who sent the e-mail. I'm pretty sure the ISP would send an e-mail, but only after the request (RE: demand) of the RIAA/MPAA/etc.

The headers would just be to verify the sender.

I doubt RIAA would be able to contact you down the line through a BitTorrent file, unless it was bugged.

Originally posted by DanX
    The headers would just be to verify the sender.

I doubt RIAA would be able to contact you down the line through a BitTorrent file, unless it was bugged.
    The only thing they can get from that torrent file if you download it, is your IP address, time, and date. Then they goto the ISP.
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

Right, which would also explain how they knew the file name, et cetera.

This is one of the few benefits of dialup. My ISP doesn't monitor anything, simply because very little can be done on a dialup connection.

Originally posted by mikeylove
    This is one of the few benefits of dialup. My ISP doesn't monitor anything, simply because very little can be done on a dialup connection.
    If they keep radius logs, they too can monitor what ip you have if someone contacts them. At work, we can go back thru the radius logs, looking for who used what ip at a certain date or time. It's a pain in the a** to do, but we keep radius logs for xx months. Not sure if its required by law or not, that would be up to the bosses to know. I'm not a boss (ie owner) at the company I work at, so I'm really not sure. But we have had to look up 2 IP addresses in the past 2 years, over theft concerns.

If you have a good dialup connection you can download around 450 megs or so a day.
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

Well im not sure, ive downloaded ALOT of warez and my isp hasnt done anything....yet, and i hope they dont either. My isp is fairly new in this area though.
    Mr Bones
    ▌ SF-Studios coming soon
    Have any questions, drop me a line on msn.

and you come here to brag about downloading warez?

Why don't you just get the software legit and be legal? Most companies have great products, and programs to get them cheaper, even direct from them(sample, MS, and their Action Pack)

Well my comment was only to say, I think its very doubtful Cox *EMAILED* him in the first place. I am sure if a problem did arrise they would contacted the account holder via emial.. which they are suppose to do.
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service