Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it Legal to?

Originally posted by Truth_or_justice
    Its the general tone. The hosting company getting stuck with the free hosting and no fees thats getting ripped off. Yet, just about every runs to the defense of the person doing the ripping off. It kinda makes you loose all hope in humanity.

You cannot claim that you are "honest" when the general tone is to condone the ripping off companies by clients....thats just as bad as companies ripping off clients. It has nothing to do with honest IP's...the truth of the matter is people are either trying to find ways to rip people off or they are suing people to get a free ride.... Its pathethic
    In all honesty, reading this thread as a neutral party (as we dont sell domains, when we're "ripped off" on hosting fee's, we rarely, if ever persue, a canadian based company [we canadians dont generally sue, 'eh?'], etc.), you look like someone coming to WHT looking for a specific answer, then throwing a tantrum when you dont get it.

ICANN rules specifically state that if the customer has paid all domain related fee's, its theirs (for the registration period), and you thus have no claims on it. If you find a customer getting hosting, and the domain, and then disputing the hosting charge, the best way (that I can think of) is to bill them both in one transaction. Visa/Mastercard/PayPal wont allow you to dispute only *part* of a transaction, its all or nothing; thus in order to dispute the charge, they'll dispute the domain registration charge, and thus you'll be able to retain it until the issue has been remedied.
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

I don't know, that doesn't sound 100% right neither.

I've had my share of billing issues just like everyone else, but I have never resorted to holding files or domains ransom, two wrongs don't make a right!

I've learned, stay current with A/R and you don't have to worry about chasing people for large past due amounts.
    Kevin

"And in those cases the contract that the company had to sign in order to colocate servers there includes a clause about holding equipment hostage."

Its not "holding hostage" its seizing property in lieu of payment. And yes, I know its part of the contract, I was just playing devils advocate to the person who said seizing property is illegal in regard to nonpayment for something else.

Originally posted by nadtz
    "And in those cases the contract that the company had to sign in order to colocate servers there includes a clause about holding equipment hostage."

Its not "holding hostage" its seizing property in lieu of payment. And yes, I know its part of the contract, I was just playing devils advocate to the person who said seizing property is illegal in regard to nonpayment for something else.
    There is a difference in having a contract that states property can be held in lieu of payment and just deciding on your own to do it without any right. If there is no written out guidelines explaining before hand that the domain may be held to cover back hosting fees (which there wont be since it's not legal) then you can not do it.

It is not legal in any country or anywhere on the internet. The domain is seperate from the hosting and the domain is fully paid for which means the customer owns it 100% and you have no control over where it goes. If you refuse to transfer the domain (regardless of if you refuse in writing or just dont do it and say nothing) then you are in essence stealing the domain, something which carries jail time almost everywhere.

How are we condoning ripping of companies???

You are in the wrong and you know it!
    Otherwise you should have no problem telling us the name of your company.

"the truth of the matter is people are either trying to find ways to rip people off or they are suing people to get a free ride.... Its pathethic"

and your Stealing inorder to get your own way!
    How pathetics that!?
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

When they paid you for the domain they have a right to do whatever they damn well please with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12