Thread: Sonataweb

Thumbs down Sonataweb

Just last month I was thinking of writing a review for Sonataweb but thought na its to early I'll wait a bit longer. Well to begin with I have been with Sonataweb for three months now and have to say the service I received up untill the last couple of days has been real top class.

Two days back one of my websites went hay wire, the formatting was totally corrupt in IE however it worked fine in firefox. I was a little confused at first and needed the site to be fixed asap as I do my e commerce off of that site. I submitted a ticket to support which as usual was answered very fast.

Support said that there was something wrong with ie since the site was working with firefox, I explained to them that I had never had this problem before and that it could be because my oscommerce admin was showing that my site was "secure by an unknown secure ssl connetion" even though I have never had any SSL installed on my site.

To this admin replied,

"some guy was using the shared ip for using ssl on his website and that the problem had been taken care of."

Five hours later still the same problem, so I contacted support again, this time, support gave me a new analysis of the problem. They said that because oscommerce was not using an ssl connection I was having this problem with my website and that oscommerce needs an ssl certificate which they could supply at a cost. At this response I took a snap shot from googles cache showing the site had been working fine few days back and sent it to support, who did not reply to this email.

At this point I realised that Sonataweb were not going to help, so I purchased another hosting account from a different hosting provider and moved my website. The conclusion I reached was that because I was on a sub $7 reseller account Sonataweb were not that interested in helping me out. I really like everything about Sonataweb but I did not enjoy this last experience one bit.

My point is not that people should not use Sonataweb because I would like to go back to my old account which was great value compared to the $20 plus I am paying now. My point is that if Sonataweb for some reason do not think its worthwhile to provide reasonable support to their economy customers then they should not offer the economy hosting packages to begin with.
    Last edited by host_1; 07-28-2005 at 03:31 PM.

Re: Sonataweb

Originally posted by host_1
    Five hours later still the same problem, so I contacted support again, this time, support gave me a new analysis of the problem. They said that because oscommerce was not using an ssl connection I was having this problem with my website and that oscommerce needs an ssl certificate which they could supply at a cost. At this response I took a snap shot from googles cache showing the site had been working fine few days back and sent it to support, who did not reply to this email.

Not sure why they treated you this way, but the bit above about osCommerce requiring SSL is pure bolagna!

Good luck with your new host!
    ||| Mike Bowers - Marketing Director
    ||| atOmicVPS LTD
    ||| OnApp Powered Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting ► [Shared] ► [Reseller] ► [VPS]
    ||| Follow the atOmicVPS Blog

Hi Host_1,

Could you PM me the ticket number? I recall working on the original ticket, however I was not aware of a response made at all. Even though you're no longer a customer of ours, I'd like to get the bottom of this so that this does not happen to any other customers.

Edit: If this is for ticket 3837, there was no response after I corrected the original problem. If you have a 2nd ticket open, let me know which one that is.

Hi, pm has been sent.

Originally posted by host_1
    Hi, pm has been sent.
    Okay, now I've seen the actual correspondence (although somewhat messy so I can't really make anything out), I'd like to state that I believe the original problem was corrected in the first reply, which was mine. We only suggested a SSL Certificate, as it's almost required for an ecommerce based website to look remotely legitimate.

Since none of this was done through the helpdesk (there's only the original ticket & my reply listed there) I can't really make out what happened and where. Since it was done through email as well and was directed towards Mike, our late night support person, it would explain for the delayed response. When you send something direct to someone, most likely they're only going to reply when they're working. This is exactly why we encourage everything to go through the helpdesk, otherwise you have issues like these.

Originally posted by inogenius
    We only suggested a SSL Certificate, as it's almost required for an ecommerce based website to look remotely legitimate.

The SSL Certificate is only required if you are connecting to a gateway in example like authorize.net or collecting the Credit card number on your web site.

If you use a third party payment system like Paypal there is no need for an SSL Cert since the payment is done on their secured pages.
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com

Originally posted by wbpro
    The SSL Certificate is only required if you are connecting to a gateway in example like authorize.net or collecting the Credit card number on your web site.

If you use a third party payment system like Paypal there is no need for an SSL Cert since the payment is done on their secured pages.
    That is true, however it is still suggested due to the fact that some confidential information, such as account usernames, passwords, client names, addresses ... etc are still passed through unencrypted. While it may not be a big deal to some people, I have seen numerous users turn their heads away because of that.

inogenius thanks for giving the time to respond to my post and pm, apart from the small experience I had with the one web site, the rest of the service and support was first class, hope to host again with sonata some time in the future if that will be alright.

Thanks for the help.

We'd be glad to have you back as a client.