Corporate Colocation

I just read the whole thread on here concerning Corporate Colocation and a 16 year old "client" and I've got to say that I'm absolutely astonished that they would keep this kids server - or that they would even do business with a minor in the first place.

Corporate Colocation obviously has no idea how much this decision toward a kid will cost them in the long run. I'd advise that kid not to say anything here - it's not necessary - he already said enough. But Corporate Colocation, if they're not too busy "fighting a f***ing war in Iraq" need to realize that they may have won the "battle" but definitely lost the war.

Whatever happend to "being the bigger man?" You've made yourself look very small indeed. Very small.

Thanks, left field wants you and your story back now.

I'm not really sure where you're going with this, as it was hashed and rehashed back then.

Regards,
    Sam
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194

As Sam said, the story has been beat to death.

Actually I think that thread was rather good for their business, as I know of a few WHT people that actually got service with them after that thread(including myself).

They have been rock solid so far, however I wont put a done stamp on it until my server is sitting next to me. Should the need ever arise to cancel.

Saxroots, if you had actually read that whole thing you would have known the kid's mother was the actual client and bound by the terms of the contract. The mother and kid tried to pull a past one dragging corporate colo through all that BS and court to get 2x the value of their server, and ultimately they were too stubborn to ever be reasonable (until they finally lost in court, and then were more than happy to pay the hundred or so bucks). Your can only turn the other cheek so much and be the bigger man before you need to stick up for yourself.

I even saw a post by the kid on one of the major law forums where even his biased side of the story was being ripped apart for how rediculous it was. Last post there was him flaming everyone on that forum.

yeah dead topic, needs to be locked and I agree about it was good for business to see how things are, and even after reading every single page of that discussion I will still be doing business with them in the future, I agree with their decision on the matter

Re: Corporate Colocation

Originally posted by saxroots
    I just read the whole thread on here concerning Corporate Colocation and a 16 year old "client" and I've got to say that I'm absolutely astonished that they would keep this kids server - or that they would even do business with a minor in the first place.

Corporate Colocation obviously has no idea how much this decision toward a kid will cost them in the long run. I'd advise that kid not to say anything here - it's not necessary - he already said enough. But Corporate Colocation, if they're not too busy "fighting a f***ing war in Iraq" need to realize that they may have won the "battle" but definitely lost the war.

Whatever happend to "being the bigger man?" You've made yourself look very small indeed. Very small.
    I've really got to wonder, reading your post, how old you are. Why should a company (if my memory serves me correctly) allow themselves to be cheated and ripped off by some kid? Expend a lot of hard earned cash and time fighting a lame case in court, and then out of the goodness of their heart, return the server to the kiddie (after the judge notably declared it their property), so he can learn no lesson at all and go on to scam the next company?

"You dont take money to vegas you intend to take home", with that, you dont invest money into a business venture that you cant afford to loose, more then 90% of new businesses fail, if he couldn't afford to loose the server, he shouldn't have colocated it, much less put himself in a position where it was clearly going to be reposessed for non-payment.

I'd be *FAR* more inclined to do business with a company like that after reading the thread (as it displays the fact they were reasonable throughout the process, and stuck to their guns), and you know why? Companies who give in are simply passing the cost down to their customers, Corporate Colocation however in that case obviously did not, which ensures the other customers dont suffer as a result of other customers losses.
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

Re: Re: Corporate Colocation

Originally posted by porcupine
    I've really got to wonder, reading your post, how old you are.
    At 49 I'm old enough to know that I wouldn't sleep easy taking a kid's valuable property under any circumstances much less over a 100 bucks.
    if he couldn't afford to loose the server, he shouldn't have colocated it
    So, you're comparing sending a server to Corporate Colocation to a Las Vegas gamble? That's an interesting perspective. I never thought of it that way.
    Originally posted by concept
    They have been rock solid so far, however I wont put a done stamp on it until my server is sitting next to me. Should the need ever arise to cancel.
    It can't feel too good to have any negativity about whether or not you would ever see your server again. To paraphrase the guy above "It's Vegas Baby!" -

Sorry - But that sucks. IMHO.

Re: Re: Re: Corporate Colocation

At 49 I'm old enough to know that I wouldn't sleep easy taking a kid's valuable property under any circumstances much less over a 100 bucks.

So, you're comparing sending a server to Corporate Colocation to a Las Vegas gamble? That's an interesting perspective. I never thought of it that way.

It can't feel too good to have any negativity about whether or not you would ever see your server again. To paraphrase the guy above "It's Vegas Baby!" -

1. The second a kid gets into business (and I mean serious business, not a lawnmowing on sunday operation), he shouldn't be treated with "kid gloves". Certainly giving them a hand, a leg up, etc. is indeed nice, and occasionally called for, but that has its limits.

2. My implication is definatly not that sending a server to Corporate Colo is a gamble. My statement should have been dead clear, starting a business is a gamble, over 90% of them fail, the odds are simply not with you statistically speaking.

3. If you dont pay your provider, and you rack up bills, you shouldn't expect to see it again, after all its in the TOS. If the judge awards your server to the defendant then you're an utter fool to think you deserve to see your server again. The "kid gloves" came off when he tried to sue Corporate Colo; you didn't honestly expect them to treat him with "kid gloves" and let him have all the advantages while he tried to take advantage of them by suing them for 2x the value of his server did you?

Honestly now, he can play "little boy" all he wants, but once you take it to court, you're playing with the big boys, like it or not.
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

Re: Re: Re: Re: Corporate Colocation

Honestly now, he can play "little boy" all he wants, but once you take it to court, you're playing with the big boys, like it or not.
    The fact this ever went to court is exactly my point. This kid wanted OUT on the 4TH DAY... Without question, it should've all been over right then. Even a CC techie said the same thing. He told his bosses to "let it go". But no... the "big boys" (your description) wanted to teach this spotty little kid a lesson? Is that it?

Whatever mistake this kid made, I think the first mistake was Corporate Colocation taking a hard line for $100 after only 4 days. I think for these so called experienced businessmen dealing with a kid - it might be legal - but it was inexcusable to keep a $2,000 server - regardless of the rational.

You compared the situation to Vegas and you said "if he didn't want to loose (sic) the server, he shouldn't have colocated it" - and that's a very sad state of affairs indeed.

I know where you stand, so if you're done - let's leave it at that.

A bit OT, but the statistic that 90% of new businesses fail within X years (and I've seen X vary from 1 to 5 years) is an urban myth, at least in the US. Survival rates for new businesses are much higher than that. I don't think anyone has been able to pin down exactly where that statistic came from or how it started getting widespread use; even the Small Business Association can't find any research literature that supports that number:

http://www.sba.gov/advo/stats/bh_sbe03.pdf

Mother/Son was trying to scam CorporateColo.. what part of that wasn't clear? All they had to do is pay the months rent but they decided to sue. Once they saw that the judge was not going to rule in their favor they became very cooperative and wanted to make a deal. That's not how you play ball. CorporateColo kept the box and cut their losses, or you think layers work for free? I suggest you read the thread once more with these thoughts in mind and if you still don't get it then you are.. well.. just naive.

Re: Re: Re: Corporate Colocation

I'm not to worried about it. The only reason the kid didn't get the server back was because he and his mom tried to screw them out of their money + a few thousand.

Besides, I have enough commonsense to realize that having to pay a $100 bill is far less of a hit then losing a $1500 server.

Originally posted by SMachiz
    Thanks, left field wants you and your story back now.

I'm not really sure where you're going with this, as it was hashed and rehashed back then.

Regards,
    Sam
    I think left field already wrote it off as a loss.

Bleeding hearts tend to bleed the most for those who deserve no pity at all.

Good for Corporate Colo for sticking to their guns. Giving in to legal threats when you know you're in the right is a cowards way out despite the fact that it can often be less costly.
    I assure you my ignorance is not blissful.

Originally posted by lockbull
    A bit OT, but the statistic that 90% of new businesses fail within X years (and I've seen X vary from 1 to 5 years) is an urban myth, at least in the US. Survival rates for new businesses are much higher than that. I don't think anyone has been able to pin down exactly where that statistic came from or how it started getting widespread use; even the Small Business Association can't find any research literature that supports that number:

http://www.sba.gov/advo/stats/bh_sbe03.pdf
    Thanks for putting a redeeming value on this thread. Very interesting read!
    Neosurge Web Services since 2002
    Neosurge VPS Hosting