Redeeming A Domain - Comments?

After getting some help from Dennis on here, I finally was able to contact the right company regarding the renewal of my website.

Well due to the fact that I could not locate my original registration service provider, I exceeded my 45 days to renew my domain, and now it has gone into a redemption period for 1 year. I missed it by 2 days.

I was told that redeeming a domain is much more costly that simply renewing it, and currently, I have no option [Since the domain name has been deleted due to non-renewal within 45 days of it expiring].

I have placed a backorder on my domain, so that when it becomes available again, I will be the first in line to take it. I was wondering,

what does it cost to redeem my domain?
    is it worth going through the trouble of redeeming it?
    after the redemption period, will my domain be available so that my backorder will pick it up?

Or can anybody provide me with more details.

I registered this domain a while back, for a business that I was going to start. I never got around to doing it, but I still plan on it. It might be another year before I actually get around to it, so maybe waiting 1 year for the redemption period to end, might not be such a bad idea.

Any comments????

Domain redeption cost is depending of the registry. Doing a back order doesn't mean you are the first in line, if someone else is also doing a back order you will go to an "Auction" for the domain.

Contact your registrar to find out how much it cost to redeem the domain.
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com

I think dotster charges about 90 bucks to redeem a domain name. They're an expensive registrar though so it's likely cheaper other places.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Just curious, what happens once the redemption period has expired. Does it go back into the pool of available domains to the public, or does the original registrar still hold on to it for resell?

Secondly, is their a way to see if anybody else has put a backorder on my domain?

The thing about my domain, is that I never really got off the ground with it, so nobody really knew that it even existed, but you never know.

About the first questions, yes after the redemption period the domain becomes available.

Not sure if is possible to know if the domain has another back order...
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com

Good... I'll just register my domain name with a .net which is available, and hope that my .com becomes available soon.

Thanks guys!!!

Originally posted by pixelized
    I think dotster charges about 90 bucks to redeem a domain name. They're an expensive registrar though so it's likely cheaper other places.
    When processing a redemption, you can only do it will the current registrar. Also, $90 isn't very high for a redemption request. The lowest I have seen is at Godaddy for $80.

Redemption at Dotster is $99.95 + the normal redemption fees.

For a graphic of the normal domain name expiration process see: http://www.domain-retriever.com/images/life.gif

If the domain name is already in the REDEMPTION phase, you might try running it through the FreeWho status checker. It usually is pretty accurate determining when it will drop: http://freewho.com/checker/

Good Luck!
    You may delay, but time will not. --- Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by 4solutions
    Redemption at Dotster is $99.95 + the normal redemption fees.
    I meant to say + the normal RENEWAL fees.

Too much time in the hot California sun today.
    You may delay, but time will not. --- Benjamin Franklin

just act like a dumb customer bribing em for the 7 dollar rate saying your credit card expired and you just coudnt navigate there sites
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.