Thread: Warning

Warning

Hi all guys,

Just thought I should let you know.

Today I received a dedicated server order from a guy who's located in China. 'His' name is ROBERT MERN LAU.

He placed the order paying via 2checkout.com and it marked the order as fraudulent because of the IP mismatch.

After talking to this person on MSN about his order, he kept on claiming he was australian but was working in China. But pretty interesting thing, for an australian, his English was NOT right. He could hardly understand simple English sentences.

Then, he decided he was not australian anymore, but chinese. So there, pretty much qualifies as a fraudulent order

After all this happened, I issued a refund to the credit card charged, which I doubt is of his own. This guy was pretty annoyed because I didn't accept his order and started calling me names and stuff.

So, watch out! You might be scammed by this guy.

Below is the info he placed the order with:

Name: ROBERT MERN LAU
    Email: rmlau2002@hotmail.com
    7 SAILORS BAY ROAD
    WILLOUGHBY
    Australia

Thanks,
    Daniel Basilio
    Gabbix Solutions Owner
    http://www.gabbix.com - Shared, Reseller, Virtual and Dedicated Hosting
    Toll free: +1-888-387-7140

thanks alot for the heads up.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN sales@ceridius.com
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

Re: Warning

Originally posted by GabbixSolutions
    Hi all guys,

Just thought I should let you know.

Today I received a dedicated server order from a guy who's located in China. 'His' name is ROBERT MERN LAU.

He placed the order paying via 2checkout.com and it marked the order as fraudulent because of the IP mismatch.

After talking to this person on MSN about his order, he kept on claiming he was australian but was working in China. But pretty interesting thing, for an australian, his English was NOT right. He could hardly understand simple English sentences.

Then, he decided he was not australian anymore, but chinese. So there, pretty much qualifies as a fraudulent order

After all this happened, I issued a refund to the credit card charged, which I doubt is of his own. This guy was pretty annoyed because I didn't accept his order and started calling me names and stuff.

So, watch out! You might be scammed by this guy.

Below is the info he placed the order with:

Name: ROBERT MERN LAU
    Email: rmlau2002@hotmail.com
    7 SAILORS BAY ROAD
    WILLOUGHBY
    Australia

Thanks,

thats not uncommon, we get a number of fraud orders everyday, unfortuneatly thats part of doign business.

Having travelled at times, I know that I have come across being in the same situation (ording a service online when located in another country) - it can and does happen quite often. I would suggest calling their number to confirm the order, if you call and can confirm with the card holder that the order was placed by them and they wish to proceed, then it can be almost certain that the order is legitimate.

I'm not saying that this order is legitimate, it may very well not be legitimate - but you may want to be a bit cautious as you may lose potential customers
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support • Web Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Cloud/VPS Plans • Dedicated Servers •

When's the last time your ordered a dedicated server while on vacation?

Why dont you stop all sign ups from free email addresses, that way you can contact an ISP if anything goes wrong.

Originally posted by Game-Zero
    Why dont you stop all sign ups from free email addresses, that way you can contact an ISP if anything goes wrong.
    Either way if you have the right billing software you can log the IP's anyway and go from there.

I am curious to know what everyone does normally to avoid fraud orders. I think we all get a lot of this and just want to know is there any great anti-fraud software out there?

Originally posted by dothisthing
    I am curious to know what everyone does normally to avoid fraud orders. I think we all get a lot of this and just want to know is there any great anti-fraud software out there?
    The main methods we use are IP matching, and common sense. You can usually decrease your fraud orders by putting in extra steps to order. Such as making the person call you to verify over the phone, faxing in a copy of the card and the persons ID, followed by a credit card authorization form.

If you use Authroize.net they offer a few programs that work quite well. FraudGuardian is one.

Mostly it's common sense stuff. Alot of fraudsters use greed as their way to get in.. Meaning they assume the hoster sees a $$$ order coming in and jumps at it..

If you take your time and check IP's from the signup form and cross reference them with the credit card address that would be a good first step. Then you could call them if things don't look right. Generally our rule is to call any order over a certain amount of $$ to verify.

[EDIT] looks like Pat posted the same thing just ahead of me..

Originally posted by X-Gaming
    When's the last time your ordered a dedicated server while on vacation?
    A week ago.

And its not always vacation, some people don't live in their home country (i.e. where there credit card is from), but might live overseas for a number of reasons, such as work, family, etc. I know quite a few people in this situation, as well as several of our clients.

The reason this order stood out was that that client continued to try and contact you and persuade you that they were an Australian living in China. In our my experience with fraudulent orders, this would be an indicator that the order is not a fraud. 99% of fraudulent orders we receive we never receive a response back from the client.

Don't get me wrong, this is very likely a fraudulent order, but the safest way is to give them a call, or ask them to fax over a copy of their credit card statement. Over the past 9 months, we have received 100's of orders, and we have yet to receive a chargeback due to our vigorous verification process. Its not just about IP matching, we check a LOT more
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support • Web Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Cloud/VPS Plans • Dedicated Servers •

One useful and simple tool is to go into your CC processor and check the daily log. Generally what I find is 2 or 3 failed transactions then 1 "good" one.

But yes I see your point on ordering out of country, It makes sense.

Originally posted by X-Gaming
    One useful and simple tool is to go into your CC processor and check the daily log. Generally what I find is 2 or 3 failed transactions then 1 "good" one....
    CORRECT AND EXCELLENT PRACTICE.
    Adam - AQORN
    Official OpenStack Foundation Member, Corporate Sponsor and AI Research Team
    Our Clients: Facebook | Red Hat | Starbucks | AT&T | HPE | NVIDIA | CrowdStrike | Cisco | Juniper | SAP | Autodesk | SUSE | Ubuntu