application server

I've looked but cannot find a straight answer for this question. i'm trying to find a server to run a program. the program requires 2 ports open to it, it doesn't matter which 2. is there a host out there that would host such a custom program. or maybe a place where i can rent there internet connection and space.

Hi!
    What kind of program is this? Windows? Linux?

I think a big reason you have had problems getting a "straight" answer...we need to know more about exactly you are trying to do here.

Bryon

it is a proxy for remote control software. It runs on windows (98,2k,xp) and it has no interaction on the computer itself except for the 2 computers creating the connection. Once the connection between 2 computers has been established the host drops out of the picture.

Hi!
    Ok..does the software that has to sit on this server have a name? Again..windows? linux? I've never heard of anything like this...but then...there's a lot of those things around.

Please share a few more details and I can probably tell you if a VPS might work..or not.

Even better, if it has a name..I might feel generous..put it on one of mine..and see if it works. Maybe. Are you near a Starbuck's?
    I can be bribed with Starbuck's.

Bryon
    Last edited by bryonhost1; 07-28-2005 at 12:04 PM.

The program is called Ultr@vnc, i'm looking to have the repeater portion hosted (2mb) its so i can remotely support family and friends. It sits on windows(any windows), check out ultr@vnc its a great small program. i do live by starbucks, i even have a $25.00 gift card.

Hi!
    Cool...checking it out now. I just had to make sure it wasn't one of these..you know...take over the world plot things...I'll be darned if I want to be remembered as helping with it.

Bryon

sure you don't wanna take over the world, come on every body's doing it. JK. Thank you.

Hi!
    Natch...too much of a mess already....I don't want it.

You probably won't need the repeater. Windows 2003 has a built-in NAT router..and can likely do the port forward thing. I honestly doubt Virtuozzo could handle something like this.

No..you're going to have to ante up as I did and get one of these VMware brutes..or a dedicated celeronie might work. Licensing on deds..even a celeron..is not cheap...unless you can go through the NOC.

Have you seen any estimates on bandwidth needs? That could be scary as well.

It does look cool, though. Expensive...but cool.

>>It seems like a VPN would be a good route to make this work. I'll learn more later.

Bryon
    Last edited by bryonhost1; 07-28-2005 at 03:03 PM.

the band width, i don't think would break the 25mb per month mark. Have you seen ay servers that i can run this on.

Hi!
    Well...forget the celeronie option. Ouch. Monthly is not bad...that first month would be absurd.

Hmmm. This looks highly specialized. Any idea how they're doing it themselves? Sharing a dedicated server or something? I don't know...25mb/month is nothing. I download two-four times that daily over dialup.

I'll have more time later to really give it a good look...and should be able to share more tomorrow. I've about had it..serious downtime due shortly.

Bryon

Thanks, the repeater is just for hand shaking, no info actually goes through the server. Once the handshaking is done the 2 computers talk to each other without using the server.