Angry Image Uploads - Database or Standard Files

Hello!

Im needing to upload images for a website so that users will be able to have there own personal profile. I was wondering which is the best way to store these images, in a database (MySQL) or as a standard file in a directory. There is around 3,000 + Members on the site and im wanting to be able to let them upload more than 1 image! At the moment there is around 4,500+ images on the current site!

Thanks in advance!

I've made something for each- for small amounts of files I'd say use mysql - but if you've got 3000 files which are gonna be accessed alot which will be like sending request.php?image=3026 for example, it will lagg.
    So for this many, I'd say have a file system.
    Maybe a sorting system, /0/ for the first 100, /1/ for the next 100 and so on.

Just an idea - but personally for this traffic I'd prefer flat files.
    █ Software developer, web designer, and general clever-clogs.
    █ C#, XHTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL, MsSQL, T-SQL, Photoshop & more

Re: Image Uploads - Database or Standard Files

Files. Just store the filename in your database, leave the file on the filesystem where it belongs.

Thanks Guys!

Im storing the images in a file system and then recording the name in a database in the same row as the customer details! Now i have to manually type in all 3000 + into the database

I wish i could hire a temp guy!

you can code a script to scan the directory and then insert into db.

yeah, helper scripts are your best friend

this function will do:

http://www.phptricks.com/?lesson_id=10&section=2

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

I've heard this question asked more than once and I think the best answer -- one that will apply more generally than just this specific instance -- is to consider the applicability of each storage mechanism for a given task.

Filesystems have been design with the intent of performing that one specialized task very well and a database is much more of a general purpose tool. If something exists that is tailor made for that job, it is often going to be much better to use it and store any necessary references in a table, than to reproduce that functionality with a database.