Freedom OF speech on forums

can anyone tell me what does 'Freedom of speech' on the 'net entails?

One can post their views and voice their opinions, but is there a limit or boundry line for one's own views?

As far as i know as long as you dont discuss or promote anything illegal i.e planning to bomb some place or whatever then you are fine.

HOWEVER saying this if you have some user comign on a discussion board and Condoning Bombings and all..this does come under freedom of Speech right?because at the end of the day its their views and what the belive in although it may be sick and all...

Anyone got any feedback on this, im just looking for some ideas cos i moderate a huge Islamic political discussion board and i have to undergo the policy and all making sure people are being sensible.

Last edited by saj; 07-28-2005 at 06:10 AM.

Sydney, Australia
    I guess it really depends on the context of the board. In your situation if your board is designed around political discussion then it would make sense to have some lax boundaries to permit people to actually discuss the issues.

I guess the boundaries are tested when people abuse one another.

Eaglehawk, Victoria,Australia
    There really is no such thing as freedom of speech. The only place were there is true freedom of speech is when the speaker is alone. If you were to go out into the country and stand in the middle of a field where there is no way to be heard even if you yell at the top of your voice, then and only then can you say what you like.

Once an audience is introduced to the equation, then the feeling of the audience has to be taken into account. People need to moderate there speech so that others aren't insulted or hurt in anyway. As a moderator you need to consider the majority rather than the individual.

Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Tacoma, Washington
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Note that it says congress, not message board, or forum owners. Your right to free speech doesn't mean you have the right to say just any old thing that pops into your head and expect people to respect it, or not delete it online.

Ironically I've found the more people harp on about their right to free speech tend to be the same people who are the least deserving of being heard.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Freedom of speech can sometimes be costly.
    If you shoot your mouth off in the wrong place
    at the wrong time, be prepared for fallout.
    It's good to speak your mind, your truth.
    Important as well.
    So these are the parameters, I see it.

Pflugerville, TX
    A few points about freedom of speech.

1. Freedom of speech does not guarantee the right to an audience.
    2. Freedom of speech is not freedom from taking responsibility for what you say.
    3. Your freedom to speak ends where someone else's rights begin.
    4. Privately held forum (online or otherwise) may place whatever limits they want on on someone's ability to speak or be expressive.

You'll find exceptions to these rules and grey areas, and our legal system is flexible to accommodate these and to make changes and clarifications where necessary. But for the most part, expect these rules to be true.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

reminds me of a quote:

"Freedom of the press is limited to those who own one."
    - Henry Mencken