Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

host gave me too much..

Okay,

I signed up with this host a couple months ago, I have already had several problems with them. All because of the host - not me.

Anyways, I recently purchased my 'personal nameservers' (ns1./ns2.mydomain.com)

I rarely check my cPanel/WHM account anyways so I do not notice any changes very easily.. as Im not often in there.

Anyways, the cPanel reseller account I ordered was 5 Gb space / 100 Gb bandwith.
    I have not ordered any upgrades other than the nameserver one.

Today I noticed my space has increased to 10 gb - double amount!

And I have not ordered this... but neither did I do anything wrong.. I can just tell I didnt notice any extra space.

So.. what if I whent ahead, resold away all my extra space, so that I had 0 mb available. So that I have used all 10Gb. Could my host later come and say 'ops, something happend here' and take away my 5 gb which would delete half my domains?

Or could I just say something like.. 'I thought it was a sorry for all the trouble you caused me', or say that I didnt know at all.
    Because that would suck if it was true.. I didnt know what happend.. next thing I see is that half my stuff gets deleted.. and I did nothing wrong.. the host did the mistake.

What should I do here?
    Should I keep the 10gb and stay quiet and hope they never notice or they did it to be nice, or should I report in about this?
    I have checked over their TOS a few times now and theres nothing covering this kinda problems.

Thanks..

~UrlGuy

It is better for you to ask them what happened, so latter you will not have any problems.

Regards.
    Portugal Networks
    Shared and Reseller cPanel Accounts. NEW! Windows 2003 with Plesk, ASP.NET 2.0 and MSSQL 2005.

Yea probably the best thing to do.
    But isn't there any way for me to get away with this a legit way?
    They were the one who did the mistake.. if I filled my account to the max now, and they discovered what they did wrong, and put my acc. back to half.. I would lose 5Gb data. Could they do that? I could pretend I didnt know I had that much.. I knew I had a limit and I were just uploading till it stopped.. and later be angry they deleted my stuff. lol.

Not sure yet what to do about this
    Thanks for all input.

Greetings:

Being honest is always a good thing.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

I'd say contact them about this but its completely up to you, it's always safer if you contacted them directly about this
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Well if you were in the Uk and you used the space (Assigned it to customers) knowing that it was not in fact what you had signed up for it is theft, even though it is the hosts error and it was put there by accident you knowingly took something that was not yours .

It is the same principle when your bank accidentally credits your account with money and you then use that money (knowing it was not yours), just because you have access to the money does not suddenly make it yours.

I am not suggesting that they carry you away in chains as most decent hosting companies would let you keep the space you had assigned to customers as it was not your fault but I just thought it was interesting that it is actually classed a crime.

On another note are you sure they have not increased your hosting plan?
    Andrew Thomas
    JAB Web Solutions | Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting
    e : andrew@jabwebsolutions.co.uk
    t: 0800 043 0 153

Some hosts do actually increase the space/bandwidth of their customer's accounts over time, automatically. DreamHost does this, for instance.
    In this case, it is not clear to me if it was an intended thing.

Considering the damage that could happen if it was an error of the host, and they later decide to correct that error, I consider it extremely unwise to go ahead and use the extra space without first consulting the host about it.
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

What should I do here?
    Go the safe and honest route: ask the host what happened. If you're lucky, this is a free upgrade and you'll actully be able to enjoy it fully without any kind of worry.

Okay thanks for feedback people. I tried contacting my host's live support, but the live support script on their site sayd online but It kept disconnecting its connection when I tried using it, this is a error in their PHPLive script, which gives same result on my other computer.

I now opened a ticket about this.

I also noticed some other change in my account....
    Before I had 100Gb monthly bandwith, now I have 50Gb bandwith /month...

So my space has doubled and bandwith has been cut to half.

This may seem like the host knows this...

But 2 months ago I did a payment at $30 a month and payed annualy (30x12) and I ordered a account with 5gb space/100gb bandwith. Now they have lowered my bandwith by half and doubled my space..... so maybe its an error after all.. I hope..

If its not.. are they allowed to upgrade/downgrade my account resources as they feel like, even if in my contract it was 5gb/100gb that was dealt and I payed for`?

Just think its strange if its an error that both my space and bandwith has changed at the same time...

Originally posted by UrlGuy
    Yea probably the best thing to do.
    They were the one who did the mistake.

Are you sure you want to go on record as have said that?

If a store cashier made a mistake and gave you an extra $10 in change...would you walk away and figure "oh well, her mistake!". If you saw someone walking down the street and they dropped a brand new iPod out of their purse....would you keep it?

Seriously, I hope you know what the right and honest thing to do would be.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Re: host gave me too much..

They were the one who did the mistake.. if I filled my account to the max now, and they discovered what they did wrong, and put my acc. back to half.. I would lose 5Gb data. Could they do that? I could pretend I didnt know I had that much.. I knew I had a limit and I were just uploading till it stopped.. and later be angry they deleted my stuff. lol.

~UrlGuy
    Do you have a business with customers? what would you think if one day a customer acts exactly like you in this moment?
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com

Originally posted by AH-Tina
    Are you sure you want to go on record as have said that?

If a store cashier made a mistake and gave you an extra $10 in change...would you walk away and figure "oh well, her mistake!".
    ## Yup.

If you saw someone walking down the street and they dropped a brand new iPod out of their purse....would you keep it?
    ## Nop

Seriously, I hope you know what the right and honest thing to do would be.

## I know both

--Tina

Re: Re: host gave me too much..

Originally posted by wbpro
    Do you have a business with customers?
    ## Nope.

what would you think if one day a customer acts exactly like you in this moment?
    ## I would probably take the consequences (sry bad english) of my own mistakes, and let this mistake get to the positive for the customer, as the customer would be inocent and should'nt have anything to lose.

If a cashier gave you too much change, you would walk away with it and feel okay? Why?

--Tina
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Ok then lets say..

That I actually didnt find out that my space had increased, I were just uploading as much as I could, or let the other people I shared my space with also upload till it reached a stop. Which I then thought was my max - when it stopped. Which in reality would be twice as much as I'm allowed - 10gb. Then they should NOT be allowed to delete the content again, as I were not aware of this mistake.. and I shouldnt have to check my account for mistakes or such.. I use the resources I am assigned.

I shouldnt have to check my account every week to see if my host accidently over-credited my account.. the customer shouldnt have anything to lose in such a situation where the host did the mistake..

Originally posted by AH-Tina
    If a cashier gave you too much change, you would walk away with it and feel okay? Why?

--Tina

## lol ok maybe not the most honest thing to do, but I woulnt feel bad having $10 extra of the probably million dollar company's changes.. if they notices I would say I forgot.. which I would also oprobably do within a few steps from there if it'd only be $10. Cashiers have taken too much cash from me where I had to tell them about it to get it back.. I feel I can kinda do the same, especcialy with this small amount I wouldnt care much.
    hehe, but with personal property its different and I would definitely not walk away with it. atleast thats what I think..

edit: anyways I thin kthe customers should rather benefit of the hosts mistakes than otherwise, the host did mistake and should take consequences of it, not the customer. (if I for example spent 10gb and they deleted half)
    Last edited by UrlGuy; 07-28-2005 at 10:01 AM.

Ok then lets say..

That I actually didnt find out that my space had increased, I were just uploading as much as I could, or let the other people I shared my space with also upload till it reached a stop. Which I then thought was my max - when it stopped. Which in reality would be twice as much as I'm allowed - 10gb. Then they should NOT be allowed to delete the content again, as I were not aware of this mistake.. and I shouldnt have to check my account for mistakes or such.. I use the resources I am assigned.

I shouldnt have to check my account every week to see if my host accidently over-credited my account.. the customer shouldnt have anything to lose in such a situation where the host did the mistake..
    Yes, but that is not the situation you presented to us. You knew full well that your host made a mistake and you asked if you thought you could get away with it.

--Tina

Please don't include your comments within the quoted text - because then we can't quote you.

Regarding the cashier giving you too much change. You realize that they are accountable for missing money. If her drawer comes up short, they're going to blame her for it and she could lose her job.

Also, the attitude that its a business that is losing money and not a real person is totally flawed. Someone owns that business. Someone has probably worked very long and hard hours to get where they are...and probably not making as much profit as you think. To knowingly benefit from someone else's honest mistake- without pointing it out...is just wrong, in my opninion.

--Tina

Hehe Oke.. sounds reasonable.. I'll contact my host anyways as they seem to accidently cutted my bandwith in half too..
    just wondered what I would be able to do, heh and they would never need to know that I knew..

I hope you realize that WHT is the most popular hosting forum on the internet. If your host came across this thread, what would your next excuse be?
    TrentTech
    We now offer dedicated servers!

Both to do the right thing and for your own piece of mind, you need to find out exactly what happened and why. Remember, this was the host's mistake not the customer's mistake! And most importantly find out if this sort of thing will happen again because -- as you mentioned -- a mistake like this could have gone the other direction: they could have taken away disk space by mistake.

The customer has a right to expect consistant service and clear communication anytime they find it necessary to make a change that affects you. You should talk to a manager at your host as this is a serious matter. It is serious because a change was arbitrarely made to your account with no communication to you. That is both unprofessional and amateurish on the part of your host. It is unacceptable in the hosting world. Period.
    Try the StreamSend Email Marketing Service. StreamSend is a permission-based email marketing service that offers both a private label reseller program and an affiliate program.

Originally posted by manatee123
    Both to do the right thing and for your own piece of mind, you need to find out exactly what happened and why. Remember, this was the host's mistake not the customer's mistake! And most importantly find out if this sort of thing will happen again because -- as you mentioned -- a mistake like this could have gone the other direction: they could have taken away disk space by mistake.

The customer has a right to expect consistant service and clear communication anytime they find it necessary to make a change that affects you. You should talk to a manager at your host as this is a serious matter. It is serious because a change was arbitrarely made to your account with no communication to you. That is both unprofessional and amateurish on the part of your host. It is unacceptable in the hosting world. Period.
    What a load of crap. This is done through a control panel, so for all you know it could have been a bug in the control panel itself that did this.

How can you possibly say this is unprofessional and amateurish that he was allocated twice the space he signed up for? If he contacted the host and they said it was a mistake but never did anything about it, then I might agree, but he had never contacted the host about this so where is this the host's fault?

Can you tell us for a fact that this was never announced by the host and the client just didn't see the announcement?

Ok then lets say..

I can't see any host just deleting 5GB of content. What would likely happen is they would contact you about it and give you the choice of whether to remove 5GB of content or pay for the current disk usage that you are over.

Originally posted by manatee123
    It is serious because a change was arbitrarely made to your account with no communication to you. That is both unprofessional and amateurish on the part of your host. It is unacceptable in the hosting world. Period.
    I strongly disagree, every year we add/give more space to our customers at not cost, some times is just 50mb or somethings like last January it was over 300MB more space for free. We received emails from a few customer that noticed and were asking if we were going to charge them more, it was good news for them when we told them it was an appreciation gift.

We did not notify anyone, we just went and upgrade all customers, is that bad? Would you get mad if your cable company ads HBO for Free?

Now if the Hosting company does that and you are not sure wether it was a mistake or not, is better to always ask, giving twice much of space doesn't seem like is a gift, it really looks like a mistake or like Wullie said a bug on the control panel.
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com

In cPanel/WHM if quota is lowered, nothing gets deleted, but no new files can be written into the account (i.e. no e-mails delivered, no file uploads etc). This should also trigger an automatic e-mail warning to both the host and the account holder.

As for walking away with the cash from the department store, what if your next tax bill will be $200 higher than it should really be? Do you have a way to know it (without hiring an accountant for even more than those 200)? You'd most probably have to depend on the honesty of the clerk who does this job at the government. And once you don't care about giving honesty, you can't expect other people giving you any neither. A society is only as honest as its members are.

I am just expressing my opinion that customers should be notified in some way whenever a change is made that affects them. The reason is so the customer knows what is going on and does not have to wonder (like the OP).

It is very important that there is a system for everything: marketing, sales, support, system administration, communication, etc. Systems are basically procedures for handling things so that if a customer calls and talks to one tech he does not get a different answer than a customer who calls the next day and talks to a different tech.

A system (procedure) for when changes are made could be that customers are notified by email when a chance is made. It is really not that hard to do.

Thanks.
    Try the StreamSend Email Marketing Service. StreamSend is a permission-based email marketing service that offers both a private label reseller program and an affiliate program.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast